Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Militant Foes: Boko
Haram's Leader Is Dead
Jun 7, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Militant Foes: Boko Haram's Leader Is Dead
Abubakar Shekau reportedly died in May 18 suicide
- Big news out of Nigeria about Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau, courtesy of the Islamic State West African Province militant group, which splintered off from Boko Haram five years ago. "God has judged him by sending him to heaven," ISWAP chief Abu Musab al-Barnawi can be heard saying...
Freed Schoolboys Recount
Terrifying 6-Day Ordeal
Dec 23, 2020 6:14 PM CST
Freed Schoolboys Recount Terrifying 6-Day Ordeal
They say Nigeria kidnappers posed as soldiers
- Some of the 344 schoolboys kidnapped in Nigeria earlier this month have spoken out about their terrifying six-day ordeal. The boys, who were taken from dormitories at the Kankara Government Science School in northwest Nigeria on Dec. 11, say they were marched into the bush by a group of around...
Extremists Release Hundreds
of Kidnapped Schoolboys
Dec 18, 2020 2:48 AM CST
Extremists Release Hundreds of Kidnapped Schoolboys
Nigerian government won't say whether it paid ransom
- More than 300 schoolboys abducted last week by armed men in northwest Nigeria have been released, a government official said Thursday. In an announcement on Nigerian state TV, Katsina State Gov. Aminu Bello Masari said the 344 boarding school students were turned over to security officials and are being brought...
Boko Haram Kidnaps
More Than 300 Students
Dec 15, 2020 10:35 AM CST
Boko Haram Kidnaps More Than 300 Students
This time, boys were abducted from a school in Nigeria
- Nigeria's Boko Haram jihadi rebels have claimed responsibility for the abduction of hundreds of students in one of the largest attacks in years on a boys school in northern Katsina state, per the AP . More than 330 students are missing from the Government Science Secondary School in Kankara after...
White Supremacists Are
Major Threat, Says One State
Feb 22, 2020 4:00 PM CST
White Supremacists Are Major Threat, Says One State
New Jersey officials issue a new terrorist-threat report
- Who's the biggest threat in New Jersey? Not al-Qaeda or ISIS. Not anarchists or black separatists. It's white supremacists, according to a terrorist-threat report released Friday by New Jersey Homeland Security officials. "The threat from white supremacist extremists increased from moderate to high in 2020 due to...
20 Die in Stampede for
Food Aid at Refugee Camp
Feb 18, 2020 12:31 AM CST
20 Die in Stampede for Food Aid at Refugee Camp
Refugees in Niger hadn't received food previous day
- A local official says at least 20 people died in a stampede in Niger as they were being given food and goods at a refugee camp. Diffa governor Issa Lamine says 15 women and five children were killed and 16 others were injured Monday at the camp in the southeast...
Nov 5, 2018 8:15 AM CST
78 Students Kidnapped From School in Cameroon
'You will be going to school now here,' one of the militants tells the children
- Anti-government militants in Cameroon just stole a page from Boko Haram . Authorities say armed men kidnapped 78 children and their principal from a Presbyterian school in the western city of Bamenda. In a video that has begun to circulate, the kidnappers refer to themselves as the "Amba boys,"...
Boko Haram Gives
Kidnapped Girls Back,
With a Warning
Mar 21, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Boko Haram Gives Kidnapped Girls Back, With a Warning
'Don't ever put your daughters in school again'
- With an ominous warning, Boko Haram extremists on Wednesday returned most of the 110 girls abducted from their Nigeria boarding school a month ago. The fighters rolled into Dapchi around 2am in nine vehicles and left the girls in the center of town. As terrified residents emerged from their homes,...
Boko Haram Took More Than
100 Girls: 'We Are in Deep Pain'
Feb 26, 2018 8:43 AM CST
Boko Haram Took More Than 100 Girls: 'We Are in Deep Pain'
Locals in Dapchi, Nigeria, are growing angry at government for murky details on recent abductions
- Emotion is turning from shock and anguish to frustration and anger in the Nigerian town of Dapchi, where Boko Haram arrived last week and abducted more than 100 schoolgirls , an attack reminiscent of the mass kidnapping in 2014 of 276 girls from Chibok. "We are in great pain,"...
It Happened Again: More
Than 100 Girls Abducted
Feb 23, 2018 8:58 AM CST
It Happened Again: More Than 100 Girls Abducted
Boko Haram blamed for mass kidnapping in Nigeria
- Hopes are fading for more than 100 girls who remain missing four days after Boko Haram extremists attacked their village in northern Nigeria. New eyewitness accounts indicate that the fighters targeted the girls' school, and some students were seen being taken away at gunpoint, per the AP . The Dapchi attack...
The Girls Are Made Beautiful,
With a 'Deadly Consequence'
Feb 8, 2018 11:05 AM CST
The Girls Are Made Beautiful, With a 'Deadly Consequence'
A look at Boko Haram's use of female suicide bombers
- The Chibok girls were infamously taken by Boko Haram in 2014. That was the same year the group used a female suicide bomber for the first time. Writing for the BBC , Vladimir Hernandez and Stephanie Hegarty look at the group's practice of using suicide bombers—noting the militants far...
Teen Suicide Bomber
Kills Dozens in Mosque
Nov 21, 2017 12:33 AM CST
Teen Suicide Bomber Kills Dozens in Mosque
At least 50 dead in Nigeria attack
- A teenage suicide bomber detonated his explosives as worshippers gathered for morning prayers at a mosque in northeastern Nigeria on Tuesday, killing at least 50 people in one of the region's deadliest attacks in years, police say. Police spokesman Othman Abubakar tells the AP they are "still trying...
Kidnapped Chibok Girl Refused
May 10, 2017 2:16 PM CDT
Kidnapped Chibok Girl Refused Release: Spokesperson
'I am happy where I am. I have a husband'
- One of the Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in 2014 and who had the opportunity to be released on Saturday chose to stay with her husband, the spokesperson for Nigeria's president said Tuesday. Garba Shehu said officials originally had been negotiating for the release of 83 girls, but...
After 3 Years, 82
Chibok Girls Head Home
May 7, 2017 6:09 AM CDT
After 3 Years, 82 Chibok Girls Head Home
Boko Haram releases dozens after negotiations with Nigeria
- Nigeria's President Muhammadu Buhari is set to meet Sunday with 82 Chibok schoolgirls freed this weekend after being kidnapped three years ago by Boko Haram extremists, while the International Committee of the Red Cross released an image of the girls boarding a helicopter to safety. The girls have landed...
Chibok Girl Kidnapped
by Boko Haram Found
Jan 5, 2017 6:45 PM CST
Chibok Girl Kidnapped by Boko Haram Found
Nearly 200 girls and women are still missing in Nigeria
- The Nigerian army and Bring Back Our Girls say another missing Chibok girl has been found, CNN reports. According to the AP , the girl—identified as Rakiya Abubakar—and her 6-month-old baby were found while the army interrogated some of the thousands of suspected Boko Haram terrorists arrested in recent...
Nigeria: Boko Haram
Has Been Crushed
Dec 24, 2016 8:36 AM CST
Nigeria: Boko Haram Has Been Crushed
Extremists 'forced out of last enclave'
- The Boko Haram extremist group has finally been crushed—driven from its last forest enclave with fighters on the run and no place to hide, Nigeria's president declared Saturday. Despite President Muhammadu Buhari's victorious announcement, Nigeria is unlikely to see an end soon to the deadly suicide bombings,...
Kids Under 5
in Nigeria Have
Nov 16, 2016 6:59 AM CST
Kids Under 5 in Nigeria Have 'Just Vanished'
Starvation, disease are killing thousands of children in Boko Haram-infested region: survey
- Thousands of children have died of starvation and disease in Boko Haram-ravaged northeastern Nigeria, Doctors Without Borders said Tuesday, quoting a new survey that's forcing Nigerian officials to stop denying the crisis. The Paris-based group hopes official recognition of the calamity in which "thousands are dying" will help...
Another Missing Chibok Girl
Has Been Found With Baby
Nov 5, 2016 10:49 AM CDT
Another Missing Chibok Girl Has Been Found With Baby
She escaped from a Boko Haram base
- One of the 276 women and girls kidnapped from a Nigerian boarding school by Boko Haram in 2014 was found by the Nigerian army Saturday, CNN reports. The girl, identified by Reuters as Maryam Ali Maiyanga, was carrying a 10-month-old baby, her son Ali. She was with a group of...
Oct 18, 2016 1:44 PM CDT
Emotional Day: Chibok Girls Reunite With Families
Nigeria trying to negotiate return of others—but 100-plus don't seem to want to leave
- Twenty-one Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped in April 2014 by Boko Haram extremists in Nigeria were released last week, and on Sunday, they had what they've been wishing for for more than two years: reunions with their families. It was an emotional scene at a welcome-home ceremony in Nigeria's capital,...
Boko Haram Isn't
the Biggest Killer in Nigeria
Oct 13, 2016 2:33 PM CDT
Boko Haram Isn't the Biggest Killer in Nigeria
It's famine, and the Washington Post calls it a major humanitarian disaster
- After years of battling the extremist group Boko Haram, the government of Nigeria is starting to claw back some hard-fought territory in the country's northeast. What they're finding in the aftermath of the group's defeat, the
reports, is famine, disease, and displacement on a scale...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Verizon Just Got Pricier
Retired Colonel Says What Kremlin Doesn't Want to Hear
Report: Plane Crashed Into the Earth Intentionally
Friends Say He Was Exhausted, the Band Says Otherwise
Man Buys Old Virginia Home, Makes 'Heart-Wrenching' Find
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.