Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
In Largest Brain Study of Young
Athletes, a 'Remarkable' Find
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 3, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
In Largest Brain Study of Young Athletes, a 'Remarkable' Find
Researchers find 41% of late players under 30 showed signs of CTE
- Diagnoses of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) have been found in pro football players , pro soccer players , and pro hockey players . Now, a new study out of Boston University's CTE Center focuses on a new demographic affected by CTE: mainly amateurs playing on the youth, high school, and college circuits....
On Bruce Willis, 'a Health Line
Seems to Have Been Crossed'
Apr 5, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
On Bruce Willis, 'a Health Line Seems to Have Been Crossed'
Joe Ferullo writes for the Hill that Hollywood 'needs to do better' after reveal of actor's aphasia
- Over the past couple of years, Bruce Willis acted in more than a dozen films. It's a fact that, in the wake of his family's disclosure of his aphasia —a brain condition that can lead to language and communication issues—has many now wondering what exactly was...
Plastic Surgeon Charged
After Young Patient's Death
Feb 18, 2022 11:59 AM CST
Plastic Surgeon Charged After Young Patient's Death
Emmalyn Nguyen suffered cardiac arrest during surgery, died 14 months later
A plastic surgeon has been arrested in Colorado after an 18-year-old patient died following breast augmentation surgery. Emmalyn Nguyen died 14 months after the August 2019 surgery left her in a vegetative state. After a "lengthy criminal investigation," the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office said it issued...
Former NFL Player Who
Killed 6 Had Severe CTE
Dec 14, 2021 11:32 AM CST
Former NFL Player Who Killed 6 Had Severe CTE
Family says Phillip Adams was 'desperately seeking help from the NFL'
- A former NFL player who went on a murderous rampage, killing six people and himself , had stage 2 chronic traumatic encephalopathy, better known as CTE. That's according to Boston University's Dr. Ann McKee, who examined Phillip Adams' brain tissue and found it was in a similar condition as...
One Small Pretzel Turned
Her Into a Quadriplegic
in case you missed it
Apr 17, 2021 2:57 PM CDT
One Small Pretzel Turned Her Into a Quadriplegic
Chantel Giacalone awarded $29.5M after suffering brain damage from allergy
- A model and aspiring actress who suffered severe brain damage because of a bite-size pretzel has been awarded $29.5 million by a jury, reports the
Las Vegas Review-Journal
. Chantel Giacalone, then 27, was in Vegas at a convention in 2013 when a friend brought her a frozen yogurt with...
A Win for Parents of Girl Who
Reportedly Can't Move, Feel
Oct 3, 2019 12:32 PM CDT
A Win for Parents of Girl Who Reportedly Can't Move, Feel
UK's Tafida Raqeeb to receive life-sustaining treatment in Italy
- The UK's high court has sided with the family of a 5-year-old girl with a severe brain injury over doctors who sought to remove her from life support. The parents of Tafida Raqeeb are "thrilled" with the court's decision to allow the girl to be moved from...
His Parents Say He Was Killed.
His Wife Says He Was 'Freed'
Jul 11, 2019 10:24 AM CDT
His Parents Say He Was Killed. His Wife Says He Was 'Freed'
Vincent Lambert dies 9 days after feeding tube removed in France
- A Frenchman at the center of a landmark right-to-die case has taken his last breath. Vincent Lambert, a quadriplegic with severe brain damage following a 2008 motorcycle accident, died Thursday, some nine days after his feeding tubes were removed at Reims' Sebastopol Hospital, per the BBC . He was 42. His...
He Made His Living as an NHL
Fighter. Now, the Lawsuit
May 7, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
He Made His Living as an NHL Fighter. Now, the Lawsuit
Widow of Todd Ewen sues league, says CTE led to her husband's suicide
- Todd Ewen was the classic NHL "enforcer" during his 11 seasons in the league. Translation: He "fought in almost every one of his games," writes Nicolas Pollock in the
. The sad footnote: Ewen committed suicide in 2015 at age 49. His widow, Kelli, blames the NHL,...
This Might Not Be a Great
Idea for Women in Soccer
Oct 9, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
This Might Not Be a Great Idea for Women in Soccer
Study suggests female players suffer more brain damage than men after headers
- A new study suggests that girls and women who play soccer should think twice about going up for that next header. Research out of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine found that females were five times more likely than men to suffer damage to the brain, reports
Brain Abnormalities Found in
US Embassy Victims in Cuba
Dec 6, 2017 7:40 AM CST
Brain Abnormalities Found in US Embassy Victims in Cuba
White matter changes are most specific finding yet about Havana mystery attacks
- Doctors treating the US Embassy victims of mysterious, invisible attacks in Cuba have discovered brain abnormalities as they search for clues to explain the hearing, vision, balance, and memory damage, the AP has learned. It's the most specific finding to date about physical damage, showing that whatever it was...
ESPN Analyst Dumps Football
Over 'Carnage' on the Field
Aug 31, 2017 8:00 AM CDT
ESPN Analyst Dumps Football Over 'Carnage' on the Field
Ed Cunningham walks away from long career, saying the game is 'unacceptable'
- An ESPN and ABC sports analyst is ditching his job because he finds the sport he's analyzing to be "unacceptable." That sport is college football, Ed Cunningham tells the
New York Times
, and he's leaving a two-decade career of offering his commentary on it because of...
Charlie Gard's Dad on Hearing
Latest on Dying Baby: 'Evil!'
Jul 21, 2017 12:50 PM CDT
Charlie Gard's Dad on Hearing Latest on Dying Baby: 'Evil!'
Brain scans on little Charlie said to be 'sad reading'
- The British parents of critically ill baby Charlie Gard have been told by a hospital lawyer that the results of their son's latest brain scans make for "sad reading." Great Ormond Street Hospital lawyer Katie Gollop broke the bad news to Charlie's parents at a pre-court...
In a First, Drowned Toddler's
Brain Damage Is Reversed
Jul 21, 2017 7:13 AM CDT
In a First, Drowned Toddler's Brain Damage Is Reversed
Her doctor says it worked because she's so young
- When a 2-year-old girl in Arkansas managed to make her way through a baby gate and fall into the family swimming pool, she was submerged in 41-degree water for as many as 15 minutes before she was found. Having technically drowned and suffered a heart attack, Eden Carlson was resuscitated...
Doctor Harmed Newborn,
and It Cost Taxpayers $33M
May 1, 2017 9:52 AM CDT
Doctor Harmed Newborn, and It Cost Taxpayers $33M
Dr. Ata Atogho was a federal medical employee
- Marla Dixon was a 19-year-old mother-to-be who had gotten her prenatal care from the federally funded Jessie Trice Community Health Center in Miami. Nurses and midwives met with her along the way, and before giving birth to son Earl Reese-Thornton Jr. on Dec. 2, 2013, things had been progressing well....
Scientists Find Potential
New Use for Spider Venom
Mar 21, 2017 11:17 AM CDT
Scientists Find Potential New Use for Spider Venom
Poison from funnel web spider reduced brain damage in rats after strokes
- Almost 6 million people die from a stroke each year, and although scientists aren't recommending spider bites to remedy that, the poison contained in one particular arachnid may fend off stroke-related brain damage, the
reports. In a study published in the
journal , Australian scientists discovered that just...
Brains of Kids
as Young as 8
Altered After One
Oct 25, 2016 11:50 AM CDT
Brains of Kids as Young as 8 Altered After One Football Season
Players don't even need a full-blown concussion to suffer adverse effects: study
- Grade-school football players may not ever experience a concussion, but just one season of "sub-concussive head impacts"—blows to the head that aren't quite severe enough to cause a full-blown concussion—could be enough to alter young athletes' brains, ABC News reports. Per a study in the...
Giant,' Had CTE
When He Died
May 24, 2016 2:08 PM CDT
Bubba Smith, NFL's 'Gentle Giant,' Had CTE When He Died
Player-turned-actor was one stage away from full-blown dementia: researchers
- Before he played Moses Hightower in the
franchise, Charles "Bubba" Smith took some hard hits on the football field as a Pro Bowl player and defensive end for the Baltimore Colts, among other teams. And those hits during his 10 seasons in the league were apparently enough...
Chyna's Brain to Be
Screened for CTE
Apr 27, 2016 7:02 AM CDT
Chyna's Brain to Be Screened for CTE
'We want to know what made Chyna tick,' says manager
- Chyna's brain will be donated to science following her death last week , reports NBC4 Los Angeles . The former wrestler's manager says her brain will be screened for chronic traumatic encephalopathy, the brain disease linked to repeated knocks to the head. Anthony Anzaldo tells the
New York Daily News
Mar 13, 2016 5:20 PM CDT
Mom: Dentist Ruined My 4-Year-Old Girl's Life
Nevaeh Hall needed a simple dental procedure
- Nevaeh Hall was laughing and running around a Chuck E. Cheese only two months ago. Now the 4-year-old is brain-damaged for life—able to open her eyes but not stand up or talk—after a simple dental visit to secure decaying teeth, the
reports. "She's constantly...
Feb 18, 2016 10:52 AM CST
Woman Develops 'Temporary Kleptomania' After Surgery
Brazilian went in for a tummy tuck and boob job, came out with a desire to steal
- A woman who went under the knife for a little nip-and-tuck in 2013 ended up with a case of pocket-and-run as well. Per Live Science , the 40-year-old Brazilian had cosmetic surgery on her stomach, arms, and breasts, but just a few days after the procedure, she started having "recurring...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
New Army Sniper Is a First
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.