Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
to Be Tested
Sep 4, 2018 3:18 PM CDT
Miniature 'Space Elevator' to Be Tested Next Week
Japanese researchers are working on it
- It sounds like something out of a science fiction film, but a very real "space elevator" is being developed by researchers at Japan's Shizuoka University, and the first test is coming this month. A miniature stand-in for the real thing will be attached to a rocket and launched...
Company Gets Patent for
12-Mile-High Space Elevator
Aug 17, 2015 7:47 AM CDT
Company Gets Patent for 12-Mile-High Space Elevator
Canadian company Thoth gets a patent for a 12-mile-high tower into space
- A Canadian company best known for building tiny objects suitable for outer space has just earned a US patent on something distinctly grander: a 12-mile-high inflatable space elevator held up not by cables but by pressurized segments, reports fastcoexist.com . That's more than 20 times taller than the world’...
Feb 22, 2012 9:42 AM CST
Japanese Firm Plans Space Elevator
Mammoth device would carry passengers more than 22K miles into the sky
- Obayashi Corp. likes building tall towers—it's days from completing a 2,080-foot skyscraper in Tokyo— and now it's working on the granddaddy of them all: A "space elevator" that could carry people 22,370 miles into the air. On Monday, the company announced that it was...
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
Once the Vatican's No. 2 Man, His Legacy Was Marred
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.