Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Apple: Don't Attach iPhones
to High-Power Motorcycles
Sep 13, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
Apple: Don't Attach iPhones to High-Power Motorcycles
Company says it can permanently damage camera
- The iPhone apparently was not born to be wild. Apple warned users last week that attaching iPhones to powerful motorcycles exposes the devices to " intense high-amplitude vibrations" that could damage camera systems, the BBC reports. A support document released Friday states that vibrations "transmitted through the chassis and...
Roar Into Sturgis
Aug 7, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Virus-Defying Bikers Roar Into Sturgis
Rally begins, possibly drawing more people taking fewer virus precautions than last year
- The South Dakota city of Sturgis, host of the famed annual motorcycle rally, is offering coronavirus tests, masks, and hand sanitizer to the hundreds of thousands of bikers rolling into town. But none of that is a conversation starter. "People here don't want to talk about COVID,"...
Airbag Jeans? Idea Is No
Joke for Motorcyclists
Jan 31, 2021 6:21 PM CST
Airbag Jeans? Idea Is No Joke for Motorcyclists
2 companies working on the concept
- Motorcyclists who fall off their bikes at high speeds might have much smoother landings in the near future. CNN Business reports that "airbag jeans" are becoming closer to reality. The company Airbag Inside Sweden AB has designed a prototype for the special pants, which look fairly ordinary on the...
COVID-19 Case Traced
Back to Huge Biker Rally
Aug 19, 2020 6:10 PM CDT
COVID-19 Case Traced Back to Huge Biker Rally
Experts feared it could become a 'super-spreader' event
- Health officials are ringing alarm bells after a COVID-19 case was traced back to South Dakota's huge biker rally, CNN reports. The South Dakota Department of Health said Tuesday that someone who went to One-Eyed Jack's Saloon in Sturgis on Aug. 11 has tested positive, so anyone else...
250K Bikers in One Place.
What Could Go Wrong?
Aug 8, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
250K Bikers in One Place. What Could Go Wrong?
The virus doesn't seem to bother motorcycle enthusiasts in Sturgis, South Dakota
- Thousands of people are pouring into a small South Dakota city for an event that normally attracts 500,000—this time, during a pandemic. "I think it's pretty selfish that the powers that be didn't stop this," a Sturgis resident tells NBC News . But the Sturgis...
3 Bikers Wounded
in Freeway Shooting
Nov 4, 2019 8:33 AM CST
3 Bikers Wounded in Freeway Shooting
Police aren't sure if attack in Southern California was random or targeted
- A group of motorcyclists cruising a California freeway early Sunday ran into gunfire, which injured three of them, two critically. KABC and CBS Los Angeles report that five bikers were making their way south down the 110 Freeway, on the border of Gardena and Carson, just before 2am when someone...
After Loud Sound, a
'Sea of People Running' in NYC
Aug 7, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
After Loud Sound, a 'Sea of People Running' in NYC
People started screaming, thinking it was another shooting
- The mass shootings over the weekend in El Paso and Dayton have everyone on edge, and that anxiety played out Tuesday night in New York City after a loud sound sent people running. ABC News reports that thousands of locals and tourists in Times Square started screaming and fleeing in...
He Was Trying
for His 5th Race
Win. Then, a
Jul 1, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
He Was Trying for His 5th Race Win. Then, a Fatal Hump
Carlin Dunne died Sunday 20 yards from the finish of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb
- Carlin Dunne had won the Broadmoor Pikes Peak International Hill Climb in Colorado four times, and in the words of the
Colorado Springs Gazette
, he was "only a few yards from likely wrapping up his fifth victory" at the historic race when tragedy struck. He was on the course'...
Crash Kills 7
Jun 22, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
'Staggering' Truck-Motorcycle Crash Kills 7
New Hampshire accident involving pickup, several motorcycles also injures 3
- Several motorcycles and a pickup truck collided on a rural, two-lane highway in New Hampshire Friday, killing seven people and injuring three others, and sending onlookers rushing to treat and help the motorists peppered along the road. New Hampshire State Police said a 2016 Dodge Ram 2500 pickup truck collided...
This Country Is First to
Completely Ban Hells Angels
May 30, 2019 9:45 AM CDT
This Country Is First to Completely Ban Hells Angels
Netherlands prosecutors have been trying for more than a decade to get rid of the biker gang
- You probably won't see as many Harleys cruising around Holland anymore. The BBC reports that a court in the city of Utrecht has banned all Hells Angels, not just its local chapters, declaring in its Wednesday ruling that the violence brought about by the bikers "is often so...
Motorcyclist Pulls Insanely
Dangerous Move in Race
in case you missed it
Sep 15, 2018 2:05 PM CDT
Motorcyclist Pulls Insanely Dangerous Move in Race
Romano Fenati messes with fellow rider's brake, and his racing future is now uncertain
- There's bad sportsmanship, and then there's ... this. A motorcyclist racing at 140mph rode up next to a rival and grabbed his brake lever, reports the
. (See the hard-to-believe video here .) Fortunately, the other rider maintained control over his bike. The offending racer is 22-year-old Romano Fenati...
Trump Praises Plan to
Aug 13, 2018 6:53 AM CDT
Trump Praises Plan to Boycott Harley-Davidson
He continues feud after 'Bikers for Trump' event
- Plans for a boycott of Harley-Davidson are "great," President Trump said Sunday, the day after he met with 180 bikers at a "Bikers for Trump" event. Many Harley owners "plan to boycott the company if manufacturing moves overseas," Trump tweeted . "Great! Most other companies...
Trump Directs New Heat
Jul 3, 2018 12:10 PM CDT
Trump Directs New Heat to Harley-Davidson
Says White House working to bring foreign motorcycle companies to US
- President Trump isn't letting up on Harley-Davidson: In another tweet on the subject, Trump expressed more frustration with the motorcycle-maker's decision to move some production overseas. "(My) Administration is working with other Motor Cycle companies who want to move into the U.S.," Trump wrote Tuesday....
Trump Escalates His Fight
Jun 26, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
Trump Escalates His Fight With Harley-Davidson
Warns the company about shifting work overseas
- Harley-Davidson says it's shifting work overseas as a result of the trade fight going on between the US and Europe, and President Trump isn't taking the news lightly. In several tweets through Tuesday morning, the president criticized—and warned—the company. "A Harley-Davidson should never be built...
New Tariffs Force
Swallow $2K Per Bike
Jun 25, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
New Tariffs Force Harley-Davidson to Swallow $2K Per Bike
Will push production abroad to counteract new EU tariff
- Harley-Davidson's foreign customers are important ones: International sales were up 12% in Q1, while the US saw a 0.2% decline, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. In an effort to preserve its good mojo abroad, the motorcycle maker on Monday announced that within 18 months it will be producing...
Bullied Kid Gets Escort
to School From 50 Bikers
Aug 4, 2017 11:15 AM CDT
Bullied Kid Gets Escort to School From 50 Bikers
Now Phil Mick 'comes home every day smiling,' says mom
- "I know what it's like to be picked on," says Brent Warfield. You wouldn't know it to look at him. The burly biker from DeKalb, Ind., says he was bullied as a kid, which is why he was irked to learn a local boy was going...
Between Cars May
Soon Be Legal
in First State
Aug 5, 2016 12:46 PM CDT
Motorcycles Cruising Between Cars May Soon Be Legal in First State
Lane-splitting bill would make California first to formalize practice
- Lane-splitting—where motorcycles pass other cars in traffic by cruising in between—might soon be legal in at least one state: California. The state's Assembly unanimously passed a bill Thursday giving the California Highway Patrol authority to create guidelines for the practice, reports the
Los Angeles Times
. The bill,...
in Viral Video
Mar 15, 2016 9:10 AM CDT
Officer Pepper-Sprays Passing Bikers in Viral Video
He's been placed on administrative duty
- Police in Fort Worth, Texas, are investigating after a video surfaced showing an officer firing a burst of pepper spray at a group of motorcyclists on a highway. Members of the group say about 200 motorcyclists were traveling on Highway 287 around 3pm Sunday when an officer pulled over a...
14% of Motorcycle
Dec 18, 2015 3:40 PM CST
14% of Motorcycle Owners Are Women
And the ladies are younger and better trained than male riders
- More women are riding high on the hog than ever—literally. A survey by the Motorcycle Industry Council found that the ladies make up 14% of US motorcycle owners, and the ones who ride are younger, more educated, and more into motorcycle safety than their male counterparts, the
Motorcycles May Get Unique Privilege in California
May 28, 2015 4:51 PM CDT
Motorcycles May Get Unique Privilege in California
Law to legalize 'lane-splitting' advances
- Motorcyclists slowed down by California's freeway traffic may soon benefit from the first law in the nation to let them zip between cars in a practice known as lane-splitting. The state Assembly passed the measure today and sent it on to the Senate, reports the AP . It would let...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Deaths in the World of Music
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
10-Year-Old Survivor Describes Shooting
Almost Everyone Has Now Pulled Out of NRA Concert
Texas Official: Police Made 'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.