snake bite

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

Snake Bite Ends a Lifetime Spent Studying Snakes

'Marty' Martin was considered the foremost authority on timber rattlers

(Newser) - A respected snake researcher who had been making significant discoveries about the species since childhood has died after being bitten by a timber rattler. William H. "Marty" Martin died Aug. 3 after being bitten the day before by a captive snake on the property at his home in Harpers...

Crowd Watches as Rattlesnake Handler Suffers Fatal Bite

Eugene De Leon Sr. died in Texas 'doing what he loved'

(Newser) - A rattlesnake handler with more than 20 years of experience was showing off his skills at a festival in Texas over the weekend when he suffered a fatal bite. Eugene De Leon Sr. was bitten on the shoulder around 1pm Saturday as he handled a western diamondback rattlesnake in front...

On 2nd Try, He Killed Wife With a Snake
Man Found Guilty
of Killing His Wife
With a Cobra
in case you missed it

Man Found Guilty of Killing His Wife With a Cobra

Sooraj Kumar receives rare double life sentence in India

(Newser) - A man convicted of killing his wife by forcing a venomous cobra to bite her has received a rare double life sentence in India. Police determined Sooraj Kumar had twice used snakes in an attempt to kill his 25-year-old wife Uthra, succeeding on the second attempt. Uthra, mother to a...

Python Escapes From Home, Bites Neighbor on Toilet
He Sat on the
Toilet at Dawn.
Suddenly, a 'Nip'
in case you missed it

He Sat on the Toilet at Dawn. Suddenly, a 'Nip'

Python escapes from Austria apartment, ends up in neighbor's bathroom

(Newser) - An elderly Austrian man had an unpleasant surprise waiting for him while answering nature's call early Monday: a python, in his toilet. The man, identified by the BBC as 65-year-old Walter Erhart, tells the broadcaster that he "went to the toilet as usual" in his Graz apartment around...

Man Regrets Trying to Pick Up Rattlesnake With BBQ Tongs

California man says bite was 'extremely painful'

(Newser) - "Using cooking utensils when dealing with dangerous reptiles" is a bad idea, Riverside County Animal Services said in a Facebook post after a southern California man was bitten by a rattlesnake he had tried to pick up with barbecue tongs. County officials say the man, who was bitten on...

She Was Taking Care of Business. Then, 'Midstream,' a 'Sharp Tap'
She Was Taking
Care of Business.
Then, 'Midstream,'
a 'Sharp Tap'
in case you missed it

She Was Taking Care of Business. Then, 'Midstream,' a 'Sharp Tap'

Aussie woman bitten by carpet python while on the toilet

(Newser) - Australia has been mired in quite a heat wave , and the snakes are taking to the toilets to cool off. Newshub reports that a Brisbane woman found that out, um, "midstream" after a carpet python hiding in her porcelain throne apparently freaked out when she went to take care...

Man's Unusual Death in Australia: by Sea Snake

The 23-year-old Brit was working on a fishing trawler

(Newser) - A freak accident that claimed the life of a British man in Australia may be the first of its kind on record. The 23-year-old working on a fishing trawler off the Northern Territory was lifting a net onto the boat when he was bitten by a sea snake on Thursday....

His Pet Cobra Bit Him. Then, the Scramble for Antivenom Began

Generic antivenom initially given to victim didn't work

(Newser) - A Michigan man's pet cobra bit him earlier this month, setting off a multistate hunt for the specific type of antivenom needed to save the man. The 26-year-old started vomiting about 20 minutes after being bit by the albino monocled cobra July 14; their venom is one of the...

Man Makes 'Classic Mistake' After Decapitating Snake

The severed head almost killed him

(Newser) - A Texas man who used a shovel to decapitate a rattlesnake he found in his backyard failed to realize that a severed snake head can be just as dangerous as one that has a body attached. When the man picked up the head to dispose of it, it attacked, sinking...

Hawaii Shark Attack Victim Also Had Bear, Rattlesnake Run-Ins

This guy seems to attract nature's fiercest predators

(Newser) - The survivor of a Hawaii shark attack has had run-ins with some of nature's fiercest predators before. Specifically, Dylan McWilliams has previously suffered bites from both a bear and a venomous snake, according to the Honolulu Star-Advertiser . The 20-year-old was reportedly bitten by a 6- to 8-foot tiger shark...

Copperhead Latches Onto Woman's Foot in Restaurant

'I felt what turned out to be a snake wiggling in my fingers'

(Newser) - Rachel Myrick experienced possibly one of the last things you'd expect upon entering a LongHorn Steakhouse: She was bit by a copperhead snake. In fact, the venomous 8-inch snake was still attached to her foot (she was wearing sandals) after she first felt a sharp pain; she had to...

Ariz. Man Learns Hard Way That Snakes Are Not Toys

The predictable end to a ridiculous party trick

(Newser) - An Arizona man claims he's finally learned his lesson about messing around with snakes after getting bitten for the second time in his life. Victor Pratt, 48, was holding a birthday party for his kid at home in Coolidge, Ariz., on Sept. 7 when he picked up a rattlesnake...

Man Gets Bit by Snake. Man Recovers. Man Gets Bit Again

Sigh

(Newser) - Australian kids today probably don't hear much late-'80s glam rock anymore, which may explain why Great White's "once bitten, twice shy" mantra didn't come into play in this story out of Queensland. Per the Brisbane Times and the AP , an 18-year-old contractor was clearing away...

Ignoring Cobra Bite, Pop Star Sings to Her Death
 Ignoring Cobra Bite, 
 Pop Star Sings 
 to Her Death 
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

Ignoring Cobra Bite, Pop Star Sings to Her Death

Irma Bule sang for 45 minutes after deadly snakebite

(Newser) - An Indonesian pop star known for dancing with snakes was bitten by a king cobra during a concert on Sunday and kept on singing until she collapsed and later died. Irma Bule, 29—famous in the Dangdut genre of Indonesian folk music, per Mashable —often included pythons, cobras, and...

Family: Snake Bit Boy at Disney Park, Grandma Died

Disney says incident is being 'mischaracterized'

(Newser) - An Alabama family says an escaped snake at Disney's Animal Kingdom in Orlando dropped from a tree and bit a boy, which led to the death of the boy's grandmother. The family's attorney, Matt Morgan, said Thursday that the family plans to sue Disney World, the AP...

Texas Teen Committed Suicide by Cobra
 Texas Teen 
 Committed 
 Suicide by 
 Cobra 
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT

Texas Teen Committed Suicide by Cobra

Grant Thompson allowed monocled cobra to bite him: autopsy

(Newser) - Authorities say a young pet-store staffer in Texas committed suicide with help from a cobra. Grant Thompson, 18, was found in cardiac arrest inside his car in a North Austin parking lot on July 14. An autopsy report, obtained by the Austin American-Statesman , shows Thompson suffered "multiple separate bites"...

MSF: We're Running Out of Snakebite Treatment

Doctors Without Borders says manufacturer halted key anti-venom

(Newser) - Doctors Without Borders says the world will run out of one of the most effective treatments for snakebites next year, risking the lives of tens of thousands of people, mostly in developing countries. In a statement today, the medical charity warned that existing stockpiles of the anti-venom Fav-Afrique produced by...

Man Bit While Posing for Photos With Rattlesnake

Now his mom's trying to embarrass him into learning a lesson

(Newser) - A California woman is publicly shaming her 36-year-old son by sharing the embarrassing photos he took with a rattlesnake—right before it bit him—with local news stations. Deborah Gomez tells CBS Los Angeles she's trying to teach her son Alex a lesson. KTLA reports Alex Gomez found the...

Snakes Again Prove Deadly in Church

John David Brock was handling the snake during Kentucky service

(Newser) - A man has died from a snake bite suffered during a church service, says a Kentucky sheriff's office. The Bell County Sheriff's Department said yesterday that 60-year-old John David Brock of Stoney Fork was handling the snake during a Sunday service at a Pentecostal church in Jenson. Authorities...

Why It's Unwise to Play With Water Moccasins

They're not really cuddly

(Newser) - "People without the experience shouldn't be handling these types of animals." This revolutionary statement of the obvious on venomous snakes comes to us by way of a Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission rep in the great state of Florida, where one Austin Hatfield might take that to...

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>
We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.