Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Locals Say Everyone Knew
Amtrak Crash Site Was Unsafe
Jun 28, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
Locals Say Everyone Knew Amtrak Crash Site Was Unsafe
Missouri farmer posted video saying that very thing on June 11
- A fourth person has died due to injuries suffered when an Amtrak train traveling from Los Angeles to Chicago struck a dump truck and derailed Monday afternoon in a remote area of Missouri, reports the AP . They are the third passenger to die; the driver of the dump truck was...
Train Derails After Hitting
Dump Truck, Killing 3
Jun 27, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Train Derails After Hitting Dump Truck, Killing 3
Dozens are injured, Missouri officials say
- A passenger train traveling from Los Angeles to Chicago struck a dump truck and derailed Monday in a remote area of Missouri, killing three people and injuring dozens more. Two of the people who died were on the Amtrak train, and one was in the truck, Highway Patrol spokesman Cpl....
in Fatal Amtrak Crash
Mar 4, 2022 4:05 PM CST
Engineer Acquitted in Fatal Amtrak Crash
Train derailed after hitting curve at 106mph
- An Amtrak engineer was cleared Friday of charges related to a deadly, high-speed derailment that left eight people dead and hundreds injured in Philadelphia in 2015. The jury acquitted 38-year-old engineer Brandon Bostian of causing a catastrophe, involuntary manslaughter, and reckless endangerment after a little more than an hour of...
Killed in Derailment
Sep 29, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
Couple Celebrating 50th Anniversary Killed in Derailment
Cause of Amtrak derailment Saturday in Montana still not clear
- Two of the victims of Saturday's Amtrak train derailment were a Georgia couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. Don and Marjorie Varnadoe, 74 and 72, spent months dreaming of the cross-country trip, and just Friday, Don "had called the office and said how excited they were" and that...
At Least 3 Dead, 50 Injured
in Amtrak Derailment
Sep 25, 2021 10:20 PM CDT
At Least 3 Dead, 50 Injured in Amtrak Derailment
Accident happened in Montana
- At least three people were killed Saturday afternoon when an Amtrak train that runs between Seattle and Chicago derailed in north-central Montana, an official with the Liberty County Sheriff's Office said. Dispatcher Starr Tyler told the AP that three people died in the derailment. Amtrak said in a statement...
Train Derails in Scotland
After Flooding, Killing 3
Aug 12, 2020 2:35 PM CDT
Train Derails in Scotland After Flooding, Killing 3
6 people are injured; accident's cause isn't known yet
- A passenger train derailed in northeast Scotland after stormy weather Wednesday, killing three people and injuring six others, authorities said. The train's driver is believed to be among the dead, but identification has yet to take place, the British Transport Police force said. Six people were hospitalized, the AP...
'Scene From Hell' as
Train Derails on Bridge
Jul 29, 2020 1:20 PM CDT
'Scene From Hell' as Train Derails on Bridge
Crew survives Tempe derailment without injury
- A train derailment, massive fire, and partial bridge collapse in Arizona left what one witness describes as a "scene from hell"—but no injuries were reported. Authorities say the Union Pacific train derailed and caught fire on a bridge over Tempe Town Lake in the Phoenix suburb of...
Engineer Tries to
Crash Train Into
Apr 2, 2020 6:40 AM CDT
Engineer Tries to Crash Train Into Hospital Ship
He said he was suspicious of USNS Mercy's reasons for being in Los Angeles
- A Port of Los Angeles locomotive engineer has admitted trying to crash a train into a hospital ship, federal prosecutors say. According to a court affidavit, 44-year-old Eduardo Moreno told investigators that he intentionally derailed the train at full speed on Tuesday because he thought the USNS Mercy might be...
Train Plunges Into the Potomac
Dec 21, 2019 2:10 PM CST
Train Plunges Into the Potomac
Luckily its 7 grain cars were all empty
- A freight train went off the rails near Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, on Saturday and sent two cars plunging into the Potomac, CNN reports. Luckily the CSX locomotive was just pulling empty grain cars over the Winchester and Potomac Railroad Bridge when the 2:30am EST derailment occurred. But the...
Dozens Injured in
Aug 23, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Dozens Injured in Sacramento Derailment
2 trains collided, authorities say
- Authorities say more than two dozen people were injured in a light rail train derailment in northern California Thursday night. Sacramento Fire Capt. Keith Wade tells the
that 27 people were injured, including 13 people who were transported to trauma hospitals. He said the remaining "walking wounded"...
Runaway Train Dramatically
Derails After 57 Miles
Nov 6, 2018 2:10 AM CST
Runaway Train Dramatically Derails After 57 Miles
Aussie freight train rolled away after driver got out to inspect an issue
- The driver of a freight train in Western Australia got out to inspect an issue with one of its 268 wagons early Monday—and it kept going without him. The train, loaded with iron ore, hurtled across 57 miles of the remote Pilbara region before it was deliberately derailed from...
Shocking Train Derailment
Kills at Least 18
Oct 21, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
Shocking Train Derailment Kills at Least 18
Some passengers were crushed to death
- One of Taiwan's fastest passenger trains derailed Sunday on a curve along a popular weekend route, killing at least 18 people and injuring more than 170 others, the AP reports. The Puyuma express was carrying more than 360 passengers from a suburb of Taipei in the north to Taitung,...
The Roller Coaster Car
Derailed and They
Jun 15, 2018 6:51 AM CDT
The Roller Coaster Car Derailed and They Plummeted
Daytona Beach's Sand Blaster derailed Thursday
- Six people were sent to the hospital late Thursday after an 85-foot high roller coaster derailed in Daytona Beach, Fla. Two people fell as much as 34 feet to the ground from the Sand Blaster's front car, which was left dangling perpendicular to the beach boardwalk with two others...
2 Dead in New Amtrak Crash
Feb 4, 2018 5:32 AM CST
2 Dead in New Amtrak Crash
Passenger train collides with freight train in SC; at least 50 injured
- At least two people are dead and 50 more injured after an Amtrak train collided with a CSX freight train early Sunday in South Carolina, reports CNN , derailing the Amtrak lead engine and some of its passenger cars. The accident, which involved Amtrak's New York-to-Miami Train 91, occurred about...
Train Was Going
80 in 30mph Zone
Dec 19, 2017 5:36 AM CST
Before Derailment, Train Was Going 80 in 30mph Zone
NTSB says it's 'too early to tell' why it was going so fast
- The Amtrak train that derailed in Washington state Monday morning, killing at least three people , was speeding, officials say, and not by a trivial amount: The train was going 80mph in a zone where the limit was 30mph when it came off the tracks on an overpass between Tacoma and...
On First Run of New
Amtrak Route, 3 Die in Wreck
Dec 18, 2017 2:45 PM CST
On First Run of New Amtrak Route, 3 Die in Wreck
Dozens of people are injured south of Seattle in Amtrak accident
- An Amtrak train making its first run on a new route derailed near Tacoma Monday morning, spilling train cars onto a busy interstate. A spokesman for the Pierce County sheriff's office initially reported six fatalities, all of them train passengers, per the
. Officials later put the number...
More Than 100 Hurt After
Brooklyn Train Derails: Reports
Jan 4, 2017 10:19 AM CST
More Than 100 Hurt After Brooklyn Train Derails: Reports
No life-threatening injuries, though, in LIRR commuter train crash
- The Wednesday morning commute left several people shook up but mostly OK on the Long Island Rail Road when a train derailed, ABC News reports. The train was slowly entering Brooklyn's Atlantic Terminal at around 8:30am when it crashed either into the platform or a bumper, leading at...
29 Hurt When Amtrak
Mar 14, 2016 10:46 AM CDT
29 Hurt When Amtrak Train Derails
It happened overnight in Kansas
- At least 29 people were injured when an Amtrak passenger train derailed in rural southwest Kansas early Monday, authorities say. The train was traveling from Los Angeles to Chicago when it came off the tracks just after midnight about 20 miles west of Dodge City, reports the AP . Five cars...
Calif. Train Derails,
Plunges Into Creek
Mar 8, 2016 12:14 AM CST
Calif. Train Derails, Plunges Into Creek
9 hurt in terrifying Alameda County accident
- The front car of a commuter train plunged into a swollen creek after a fallen tree reportedly derailed the train Monday night in central California, injuring nine people, authorities say. Crews had to fight the creek's fast-moving currents to pull riders from the partially submerged rail car, Alameda County...
Hits Rock Slide,
Derails in Vermont
Oct 5, 2015 11:15 AM CDT
Amtrak Train Hits Rock Slide, Derails in Vermont
The Vermonter was reportedly traveling southbound
- Amtrak has confirmed that its "Vermonter" train derailed while heading southbound in Vermont on Monday. NBC News reports the accident happened about 10 miles south of Montpelier, in Northfield; the
Burlington Free Press
reports the train hit a rockslide. A rep for the Montpelier Fire Department tells NBC that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.