Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
OK 'Historic' Deal
Nov 16, 2019 11:15 AM CST
Chicago Teachers OK 'Historic' Deal
Among other things, teachers get a 16% raise
- Chicago teachers on Friday approved the contract deal that ended an 11-day strike and includes pay raises, $35 million to enforce limits on class sizes, and a pledge to supply each school with a nurse and a social worker, the AP reports. The Chicago Teachers Union’s 25,000 members...
Chicago Students Will
Return to School Friday
Oct 31, 2019 3:48 PM CDT
Chicago Students Will Return to School Friday
Teachers strike ends after 11 days of canceled classes
- Chicago teachers and the nation's third-largest school district reached a labor contract deal on Thursday, ending a strike that canceled 11 days of classes for more than 300,000 students, the AP reports. Mayor Lori Lightfoot announced that the district had reached a deal with the Chicago Teachers Union...
Chicago Teachers Strike:
It's Not Money,
'It's the Kids'
Oct 17, 2019 1:33 PM CDT
Chicago Teachers Strike: It's Not Money, 'It's the Kids'
They say the issues have to do with resources, class size
- Chicago teachers went on strike Thursday, marching on picket lines after failing to reach a contract deal with the nation's third-largest school district in a dispute that canceled classes for more than 300,000 students. The strike came after the Chicago Teachers Union confirmed Wednesday night that its 25,...
Oakland Teachers: We Won
Mar 2, 2019 10:07 AM CST
Oakland Teachers: We Won
Striking teachers say they triumphed in negotiations
- Striking teachers in Oakland, California, celebrated after reaching a tentative contract deal Friday with school administrators to end a seven-day walkout, the AP reports. To cheers and applause, union leaders from the Oakland Education Association announced that teachers had won much of what they demanded—higher pay, smaller classes, and...
LA Teachers Return
to Work Tomorrow
Jan 22, 2019 4:04 PM CST
LA Teachers Return to Work Tomorrow
Tentative deal reached to end strike
- A tentative deal reached Tuesday between Los Angeles school officials and the teachers union will allow educators to return to classrooms after a six-day strike in the nation's second-largest district, officials said. Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, accompanied by leaders of United Teachers Los Angeles and the Los Angeles...
As Los Angeles Teachers
Strike, District Hires Subs
Jan 14, 2019 11:26 AM CST
As Los Angeles Teachers Strike, District Hires Subs
Contract negotiations failed in nation's second-largest school district
- Tens of thousands of Los Angeles teachers are striking after contentious contract negotiations failed in the nation's second-largest school district, the AP reports. Members of United Teachers Los Angeles voted last year to walk off the job for the first time in 30 years if a deal wasn't...
'Truly Historic' Ending
for Ariz. Teachers' Strike
May 4, 2018 12:15 AM CDT
'Truly Historic' Ending for Ariz. Teachers' Strike
They'll get 20% increase by 2020
- Hundreds of thousands of Arizona schoolchildren can go back to class now that the Legislature has passed an education funding deal, ending a six-day walkout that shuttered classrooms around the state. Strike organizers called for an end to the walkout Thursday after a dramatic all-night legislative session resulted in a...
Another State's Teachers
Are Going on Strike
Apr 20, 2018 12:33 AM CDT
Another State's Teachers Are Going on Strike
Arizona teachers vote for statewide walkout
- Arizona teachers have voted to walk off the job to demand increased school funding, marking a key step toward a first-ever statewide strike that builds on a movement for higher pay in other Republican-dominant states. A grassroots group and the state's largest teacher membership group said Thursday that teachers...
Governor Backtracks Ridiculed
Child Sexual Assault Assertion
Apr 15, 2018 5:00 PM CDT
Governor Backtracks Ridiculed Child Sexual Assault Assertion
The governor made an odd case about the state's teacher strike and child sexual assault
- Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin apologized Sunday for saying that children were sexually abused because they were left home alone while teachers rallied to ask lawmakers to override his vetoes, the AP reports. He added that "some were introduced to drugs for the first time because they were vulnerable and...
Apr 15, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Kentucky Gov.: Teachers Are Enabling Child Sexual Assault
Matt Bevin gets rebuked from both sides of the aisle
- Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin took his battle with striking teachers to a new level Friday by accusing them of enabling child sexual assault—a blow that even his fellow Republicans rebuked, CNN reports. "I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today a child was sexually assaulted that was left at...
Okla. Politicians to Striking
Teachers: Keep Striking
Apr 11, 2018 9:55 AM CDT
Okla. Politicians to Striking Teachers: Keep Striking
Legislature isn't exactly leaping to meet demands as strike enters its 8th day
- A top GOP lawmaker said Tuesday that the Oklahoma Legislature has no plans to bow to striking teachers' demands to eliminate a capital gains tax break as a way to end a walkout in its second week. Rep. John Pfeiffer, a House majority floor leader, also said lawmakers are unlikely...
100 Female Attorneys
Give Ultimatum in Oklahoma
Apr 6, 2018 3:21 PM CDT
100 Female Attorneys Give Ultimatum in Oklahoma
They're going to the capital to demand a resolution to teacher strike
- As lawmakers in Oklahoma scramble to find a solution to the state's teacher strike, a female adoption lawyer has fired off a gone-viral warning to them: "I, along with 100 female attorneys, will be coming to see you Monday," writes Becki Murphy in a Facebook post . She...
Donations Pour In After
Oklahoma Teacher's Post
Apr 5, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Donations Pour In After Oklahoma Teacher's Post
Laurissa Kovacs included an image of a broken classroom chair
- Teachers in Oklahoma will continue their protests for better pay and more education funding for a fourth day on Thursday, reports the AP . One of those participating in the walkout is middle school art teacher Laurissa Kovacs, who has received an overwhelming response to a Facebook post about classroom conditions,...
As Teachers Walk Out, an
'Unofficial Anthem' Emerges
Apr 3, 2018 5:33 AM CDT
As Teachers Walk Out, an 'Unofficial Anthem' Emerges
Protesters in multiple states adopt 'We're Not Going to Take It' by Twisted Sister
- Many schools were expected to be closed Tuesday throughout Oklahoma as teachers there continue their walkout for higher pay for a second straight day, reports CNN . Teachers in Kentucky also protested Monday—following the lead of their colleagues in West Virginia earlier this year—but most schools were expected to...
Teachers in 2 More States
Walk Off the Job
Apr 2, 2018 11:45 AM CDT
Teachers in 2 More States Walk Off the Job
Educators in Oklahoma, Kentucky are protesting everything from pay and pensions to state budgets
- First teachers in West Virginia did it. Now educators in Oklahoma and Kentucky are walking out on their jobs and rallying at their respective state capitols, reports CNN . The issue, as it was in West Virginia, is money, though the particulars vary. In Kentucky, teachers are marching over the state...
After 9 Days, Deal Struck
on W. Virginia Teacher Strike
Mar 6, 2018 10:11 AM CST
After 9 Days, Deal Struck on W. Virginia Teacher Strike
Lawmakers cut a deal for 5% raises
- West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice and Senate Republicans reached a tentative deal on Tuesday to end a nine-day statewide teachers' strike by giving them 5% raises—and adding similar raises for all state workers while they're at it. Justice said additional budget cuts by his staff will fund the...
WVa. Teachers: No Raise?
No School; Strike Goes On
Mar 4, 2018 5:30 AM CST
WVa. Teachers: No Raise? No School; Strike Goes On
State Senate votes to reduce pay raise to 4%; unions say stick to the 5% deal
- Unions representing West Virginia teachers and service personnel say they will stay out on strike after the state Senate voted to cut the 5% pay raise they had negotiated with Gov. Jim Justice. In a joint statement Saturday, the American Federation of Teachers-West Virginia, West Virginia Education Association, and the...
W. Va. Lawmaker
on Teacher Strike: 'I Don't
Like Feeling Bullied'
Mar 2, 2018 12:45 PM CST
W. Va. Lawmaker on Teacher Strike: 'I Don't Like Feeling Bullied'
Strike now in day 7
- West Virginia public school students were home again Friday, with classrooms closed for a seventh straight class day as teachers fought for pay raises. The state Senate's GOP majority refused Thursday to take up legislation to give them a 5% pay raise after four years without one. The Republican-controlled...
WV Teachers Were Expected
to Be Back Today. They Won't
Mar 1, 2018 6:48 AM CST
WV Teachers Were Expected to Be Back Today. They Won't
Health insurance is a 'major sticking point'
- West Virginia's House has OK'd a 5% pay raise negotiated by the governor to end a walkout by the state's teachers, but all the state's public schools plan to stay closed Thursday. Gov. Jim Justice announced the deal Tuesday evening after meeting with union leaders for...
West Virginia Teachers
Will End Strike, Get 5% Raise
Feb 27, 2018 6:08 PM CST
West Virginia Teachers Will End Strike, Get 5% Raise
Governor announces strike to end Thursday
- West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice says striking teachers will return to the classroom on Thursday, and he's offering teachers and school service personnel a 5% pay raise in the first year. Justice made the announcement at a news conference Tuesday after emerging from a meeting with union leaders for...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Young Would-Be Voters Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
He Picked Up a Bag of Soil, Was Killed by Swarm of Bees
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.