Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Company, VP Indicted
After Texas Double Tragedy
Mar 9, 2022 2:00 PM CST
Company, VP Indicted After Texas Double Tragedy
Employee, wife died in poisonous gas leak in 2019
: A Texas oilfield company and its vice president have been indicted by a federal grand jury on multiple charges connected to the 2019 deaths of an employee and his wife. Jacob Dean died from inhaling hydrogen sulfide gas after being sent to check on a pump house in Odessa....
'Portal to Hell'
Gulf of Mexico
Jul 3, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
'Portal to Hell' Emerges in Gulf of Mexico
Blaze caused by Mexican state oil company's gas leak is now out, but not before internet frenzy
- If you happened to see "Sauron's eye " or "Cthulhu" trending Friday evening, it wasn't because some fictional entity was making headlines. It was something even more real and disturbing— a fire in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, caused by a leak from an...
'He Plugged in the Coffee Pot
... and the House Blew Up'
Sep 25, 2020 2:00 AM CDT
'He Plugged in the Coffee Pot ... and the House Blew Up'
Devastating blast kills teen girl in Oklahoma City
- Authorities say a propane log lighter is likely responsible for a devastating blast that on Thursday morning leveled an Oklahoma City home and left a young girl dead. Berkley Maguire, 14, was killed when her home exploded; her brother and parents were also injured, KOCO reports. Officials believe a propane...
Something In the Air?
14 Dead, 500 Sick in Pakistan
Feb 19, 2020 9:44 AM CST
Something In the Air? 14 Dead, 500 Sick in Pakistan
Officials have blamed gas leak, soybean dust
- At least 14 people have died and another 500 have fallen ill in Pakistan's largest city and chief commercial hub, where there are reports of a possible gas leak. Officials have offered conflicting reasons for ailments including chest pains, breathing impairments, and burning eyes, which have left many in...
Fatal Gas Explosion
Hits North Carolina
Apr 10, 2019 4:55 PM CDT
Fatal Gas Explosion Hits North Carolina
Firefighters were evacuating people from Durham building when it exploded
- North Carolina firefighters responding to a gas leak were evacuating people from a building Wednesday morning when it exploded, killing one and injuring more than a dozen others, officials said. Durham Fire Chief Robert Zoldos said the blast at 10:07am involved five buildings on the block and catastrophically damaged...
No One Noticed
the Gas Leak.
Except for the Dog
Feb 9, 2019 8:00 AM CST
No One Noticed the Gas Leak. Except for the Dog
Sadie the pit bull escapes, gets cops to come back to house
- A pit bull roaming around her Westchester County, NY, neighborhood prompted a call to the cops due to her loud barking. But it turns out there was a method to Sadie's madness, per
: The pooch was apparently trying to alert anyone who would listen that something was terribly...
2 Dead, Dozens Injured
in Paris Bakery Blast
Jan 12, 2019 8:00 AM CST
2 Dead, Dozens Injured in Paris Bakery Blast
Officials suspect a gas leak was the cause
- French authorities said two firefighters were killed and 47 people injured in a powerful explosion and fire apparently caused by a gas leak at a Paris bakery Saturday that blasted out windows and overturned cars. Firefighters pulled injured victims from windows and evacuated residents as smoke billowed over Rue de...
Root Cause of Iowa Family's
Death in Mexico Identified
Mar 26, 2018 2:34 PM CDT
Root Cause of Iowa Family's Death in Mexico Identified
Mexican officials say water heater leaked toxic gas
- Mexican authorities say a water heater is to blame in the deaths of an Iowa family vacationing in the Quintana Roo resort town of Tulum. An inspection over the weekend found that the water heater at the Sharp family's rented condominium was leaking gas, according to Quintana Roo's...
Mexican Officials: Here's What
Killed US Family in Condo
Mar 25, 2018 11:06 AM CDT
Mexican Officials: Here's What Killed US Family in Condo
Autopsies find no evidence of foul play
- Autopsies show that an Iowa family found dead this week in a Mexico condo were killed by inhaling toxic gases, the
reports. The four family members—Kevin Sharp, 41, wife Amy Sharp, 38, and their kids Sterling Sharp, 12, and Adrianna Sharp, 7—did not die by "...
Neighbors Smell Gas, Then
Explosion Destroys 2 NJ Homes
Oct 4, 2016 10:41 AM CDT
Neighbors Smell Gas, Then Explosion Destroys 2 NJ Homes
Not clear whether anyone was injured in blast
- Two New Jersey houses have been destroyed in an explosion that occurred after neighbors reported the smell of gas and firefighters arrived to investigate, the AP reports. It's not yet clear if anyone was injured in the Tuesday morning blast in Paterson. Councilman Andre Sayegh says residents had notified...
for Gas-Price Spike
Sep 16, 2016 12:17 PM CDT
Southeast Braces for Gas-Price Spike
Thanks to major spill that shut down part of Texas-to-NY pipeline
- In what's being called a supply "red alert," a part of the Colonial Pipeline that transports gas from Houston to New York—serving about 50 million people in 13 states daily, per CNN and the
Wall Street Journal
—has been shut down since Sept. 9, when...
Burger King Workers
Wreck the Place
After Prank Call
Apr 9, 2016 2:00 PM CDT
Burger King Workers Wreck the Place After Prank Call …Again
There probably isn't gas building up in a Burger King right now
- Police say a prank caller tricked workers at a Minnesota Burger King into smashing the windows of the restaurant to keep it from exploding on Friday, mirroring similar deceptions at fast-food restaurants in other states recently. The AP reports employees at the restaurant in the Minneapolis suburb of Coon Rapids...
Seattle Gas Blast
Mar 9, 2016 4:49 PM CST
Seattle Gas Blast Levels Businesses
9 firefighters injured
- Shop owners on Wednesday inspected walls that were ripped to shreds by an early morning natural gas explosion in Seattle and marveled that the blast had caused no serious injuries. Crews were responding to reports of a gas leak when the explosion occurred about 1:40am along a main thoroughfare...
16 Weeks Later, LA Gas Leak Has Been Plugged
Feb 11, 2016 4:48 PM CST
16 Weeks Later, LA Gas Leak Has Been Plugged
Leak uprooted thousands of residents
- A blowout at a natural gas well that gushed uncontrollably for 16 weeks and drove thousands of residents from their Los Angeles homes was plugged Thursday, a utility said. While the well still needs to be permanently sealed with cement and inspected by state regulators, the announcement by Southern California...
Prank Caller Gets Burger King
Workers to Trash the Place
Feb 4, 2016 5:20 PM CST
Prank Caller Gets Burger King Workers to Trash the Place
Fake gas leak leads to $35,000 in damage
- Employees at a California Burger King responded less than ideally to a prank call Saturday night, causing $35,000 in damage to the restaurant, KSBY reports. According to the
San Luis Obispo Tribune
, someone called the Burger King in Morro Bay pretending to be with the fire department. They told...
New Fear in California
Gas Leak: Massive Blowout
Jan 15, 2016 2:48 PM CST
New Fear in California Gas Leak: Massive Blowout
'If the wellhead fails, the thing is just going to be full blast'
- Highly flammable natural gas continues to spew from a well located near the LA neighborhood of Porter Ranch. Now, the
Los Angeles Times
reports, unsuccessful efforts to plug the leak have created conditions that might lead to an even bigger problem—a blowout that could release far more gas up...
Happening in LA
Dec 29, 2015 9:35 AM CST
There's an Environmental Disaster Happening in LA
Solution to methane gas leak is still months away
- Erin Brockovich is calling it the worst environmental catastrophe since the 2010 BP oil spill: Methane has been leaking from a well in Los Angeles for at least two months and will continue to do so for at least two more. Southern California Gas detected the leak— seen here using...
More Than 130
Due to Gas Leak
Nov 27, 2015 5:00 PM CST
More Than 130 Families Relocated Due to Gas Leak
It could take officials three more months to stop the leak
- More than 130 families have been temporarily relocated from a Los Angeles neighborhood due to a leak at a massive natural gas storage facility that's causing a sickening stench. SoCalGas officials had received 503 inquiries as of Wednesday night from residents seeking relocation, the
Los Angeles Daily News
Woman Doing Repairs
Blows Up Her House
Oct 26, 2015 3:08 PM CDT
Woman Doing Repairs Blows Up Her House
Laurie Beliveau was in her bedroom for the first blast
- A Massachusetts woman apparently botched some home repairs yesterday and blew her house to smithereens, WBT reports. Lucky for Laurie Beliveau, 52, she fled her property in Taunton, Mass., minutes before the explosion. "We, my son and I, got her a pair of sandals and a glass of water...
2 Missing After
Gas Blast at
Wash. Motel 6
Aug 19, 2015 9:36 AM CDT
2 Missing After Gas Blast at Wash. Motel 6
Hotel manager sounded the alarm minutes before the explosion
- Two people are missing after a terrifying gas explosion at a Motel 6 in Bremerton, Wash., destroyed a quarter of the building and sent a gas company employee to the hospital in critical condition, reports NBC News . KING 5 News reports officials are combing through debris after a gas leak...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Suspected 'Mass Fentanyl Poisoning Event' Kills 9 in Florida
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
Amazon Prime Rolls Out a Big 'Thank You' to Customers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.