Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Illegal Miners Blamed for
Gas Leak That Killed 16
Jul 6, 2023 3:25 AM CDT
Illegal Miners Blamed for Gas Leak That Killed 16
3 children among the dead in South Africa disaster
- At least 16 people, including three children, were killed by a leak of a toxic nitrate gas being used by illegal miners to process gold in a settlement of closely packed metal shacks, South African police and local officials said late Wednesday. Emergency services initially announced that as many as...
Hit by Sudden Leaks
Sep 27, 2022 7:21 AM CDT
2 Major Russian Pipelines Hit by Sudden Leaks
No one's quite sure yet what caused the issues to Nord Stream 1, 2, running from Russia to Germany
- Two major Russian gas pipelines have both sprung leaks. That's the word from German and Danish authorities on the Nord Stream 1 and 2, both of which saw a sudden drop in pressure on Monday, per the
New York Times
. A release from Nord Stream AG announced the pressure...
Company, VP Indicted
After Texas Double Tragedy
Mar 9, 2022 2:00 PM CST
Company, VP Indicted After Texas Double Tragedy
Employee, wife died in poisonous gas leak in 2019
: A Texas oilfield company and its vice president have been indicted by a federal grand jury on multiple charges connected to the 2019 deaths of an employee and his wife. Jacob Dean died from inhaling hydrogen sulfide gas after being sent to check on a pump house in Odessa....
'Portal to Hell'
Gulf of Mexico
Jul 3, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
'Portal to Hell' Emerges in Gulf of Mexico
Blaze caused by Mexican state oil company's gas leak is now out, but not before internet frenzy
- If you happened to see "Sauron's eye " or "Cthulhu" trending Friday evening, it wasn't because some fictional entity was making headlines. It was something even more real and disturbing— a fire in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, caused by a leak from an...
'He Plugged in the Coffee Pot
... and the House Blew Up'
Sep 25, 2020 2:00 AM CDT
'He Plugged in the Coffee Pot ... and the House Blew Up'
Devastating blast kills teen girl in Oklahoma City
- Authorities say a propane log lighter is likely responsible for a devastating blast that on Thursday morning leveled an Oklahoma City home and left a young girl dead. Berkley Maguire, 14, was killed when her home exploded; her brother and parents were also injured, KOCO reports. Officials believe a propane...
Something In the Air?
14 Dead, 500 Sick in Pakistan
Feb 19, 2020 9:44 AM CST
Something In the Air? 14 Dead, 500 Sick in Pakistan
Officials have blamed gas leak, soybean dust
- At least 14 people have died and another 500 have fallen ill in Pakistan's largest city and chief commercial hub, where there are reports of a possible gas leak. Officials have offered conflicting reasons for ailments including chest pains, breathing impairments, and burning eyes, which have left many in...
Fatal Gas Explosion
Hits North Carolina
Apr 10, 2019 4:55 PM CDT
Fatal Gas Explosion Hits North Carolina
Firefighters were evacuating people from Durham building when it exploded
- North Carolina firefighters responding to a gas leak were evacuating people from a building Wednesday morning when it exploded, killing one and injuring more than a dozen others, officials said. Durham Fire Chief Robert Zoldos said the blast at 10:07am involved five buildings on the block and catastrophically damaged...
No One Noticed
the Gas Leak.
Except for the Dog
Feb 9, 2019 8:00 AM CST
No One Noticed the Gas Leak. Except for the Dog
Sadie the pit bull escapes, gets cops to come back to house
- A pit bull roaming around her Westchester County, NY, neighborhood prompted a call to the cops due to her loud barking. But it turns out there was a method to Sadie's madness, per
: The pooch was apparently trying to alert anyone who would listen that something was terribly...
2 Dead, Dozens Injured
in Paris Bakery Blast
Jan 12, 2019 8:00 AM CST
2 Dead, Dozens Injured in Paris Bakery Blast
Officials suspect a gas leak was the cause
- French authorities said two firefighters were killed and 47 people injured in a powerful explosion and fire apparently caused by a gas leak at a Paris bakery Saturday that blasted out windows and overturned cars. Firefighters pulled injured victims from windows and evacuated residents as smoke billowed over Rue de...
Root Cause of Iowa Family's
Death in Mexico Identified
Mar 26, 2018 2:34 PM CDT
Root Cause of Iowa Family's Death in Mexico Identified
Mexican officials say water heater leaked toxic gas
- Mexican authorities say a water heater is to blame in the deaths of an Iowa family vacationing in the Quintana Roo resort town of Tulum. An inspection over the weekend found that the water heater at the Sharp family's rented condominium was leaking gas, according to Quintana Roo's...
Mexican Officials: Here's What
Killed US Family in Condo
Mar 25, 2018 11:06 AM CDT
Mexican Officials: Here's What Killed US Family in Condo
Autopsies find no evidence of foul play
- Autopsies show that an Iowa family found dead this week in a Mexico condo were killed by inhaling toxic gases, the
reports. The four family members—Kevin Sharp, 41, wife Amy Sharp, 38, and their kids Sterling Sharp, 12, and Adrianna Sharp, 7—did not die by "...
Neighbors Smell Gas, Then
Explosion Destroys 2 NJ Homes
Oct 4, 2016 10:41 AM CDT
Neighbors Smell Gas, Then Explosion Destroys 2 NJ Homes
Not clear whether anyone was injured in blast
- Two New Jersey houses have been destroyed in an explosion that occurred after neighbors reported the smell of gas and firefighters arrived to investigate, the AP reports. It's not yet clear if anyone was injured in the Tuesday morning blast in Paterson. Councilman Andre Sayegh says residents had notified...
for Gas-Price Spike
Sep 16, 2016 12:17 PM CDT
Southeast Braces for Gas-Price Spike
Thanks to major spill that shut down part of Texas-to-NY pipeline
- In what's being called a supply "red alert," a part of the Colonial Pipeline that transports gas from Houston to New York—serving about 50 million people in 13 states daily, per CNN and the
Wall Street Journal
—has been shut down since Sept. 9, when...
Burger King Workers
Wreck the Place
After Prank Call
Apr 9, 2016 2:00 PM CDT
Burger King Workers Wreck the Place After Prank Call …Again
There probably isn't gas building up in a Burger King right now
- Police say a prank caller tricked workers at a Minnesota Burger King into smashing the windows of the restaurant to keep it from exploding on Friday, mirroring similar deceptions at fast-food restaurants in other states recently. The AP reports employees at the restaurant in the Minneapolis suburb of Coon Rapids...
Seattle Gas Blast
Mar 9, 2016 4:49 PM CST
Seattle Gas Blast Levels Businesses
9 firefighters injured
- Shop owners on Wednesday inspected walls that were ripped to shreds by an early morning natural gas explosion in Seattle and marveled that the blast had caused no serious injuries. Crews were responding to reports of a gas leak when the explosion occurred about 1:40am along a main thoroughfare...
16 Weeks Later, LA Gas Leak Has Been Plugged
Feb 11, 2016 4:48 PM CST
16 Weeks Later, LA Gas Leak Has Been Plugged
Leak uprooted thousands of residents
- A blowout at a natural gas well that gushed uncontrollably for 16 weeks and drove thousands of residents from their Los Angeles homes was plugged Thursday, a utility said. While the well still needs to be permanently sealed with cement and inspected by state regulators, the announcement by Southern California...
Prank Caller Gets Burger King
Workers to Trash the Place
Feb 4, 2016 5:20 PM CST
Prank Caller Gets Burger King Workers to Trash the Place
Fake gas leak leads to $35,000 in damage
- Employees at a California Burger King responded less than ideally to a prank call Saturday night, causing $35,000 in damage to the restaurant, KSBY reports. According to the
San Luis Obispo Tribune
, someone called the Burger King in Morro Bay pretending to be with the fire department. They told...
New Fear in California
Gas Leak: Massive Blowout
Jan 15, 2016 2:48 PM CST
New Fear in California Gas Leak: Massive Blowout
'If the wellhead fails, the thing is just going to be full blast'
- Highly flammable natural gas continues to spew from a well located near the LA neighborhood of Porter Ranch. Now, the
Los Angeles Times
reports, unsuccessful efforts to plug the leak have created conditions that might lead to an even bigger problem—a blowout that could release far more gas up...
Happening in LA
Dec 29, 2015 9:35 AM CST
There's an Environmental Disaster Happening in LA
Solution to methane gas leak is still months away
- Erin Brockovich is calling it the worst environmental catastrophe since the 2010 BP oil spill: Methane has been leaking from a well in Los Angeles for at least two months and will continue to do so for at least two more. Southern California Gas detected the leak— seen here using...
More Than 130
Due to Gas Leak
Nov 27, 2015 5:00 PM CST
More Than 130 Families Relocated Due to Gas Leak
It could take officials three more months to stop the leak
- More than 130 families have been temporarily relocated from a Los Angeles neighborhood due to a leak at a massive natural gas storage facility that's causing a sickening stench. SoCalGas officials had received 503 inquiries as of Wednesday night from residents seeking relocation, the
Los Angeles Daily News
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
9-Year-Old's Parents Got Ransom Note After She Vanished
House Votes 216-210 to Oust McCarthy
Pope's Comments on Same-Sex Unions Make Waves
Break in Kidnapping Case: Suspect Dropped Off a Note
Webb Telescope Makes 'Baffling' Discovery
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.