Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
CDC Chief Resigns
After Tobacco Revelations
Jan 31, 2018 1:47 PM CST
CDC Chief Resigns After Tobacco Revelations
Brenda Fitzgerald bought stock in tobacco company after assuming post at health agency
- The CDC will be needing a new leader. Dr. Brenda Fitzgerald resigned on Wednesday as director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention after some dicey financial conflicts came to light. The big one: Fitzgerald bought stock in a major tobacco company just a month after assuming her position...
Trump's HHS Nominee Comes
From Pharmaceutical Industry
Nov 13, 2017 10:47 AM CST
Trump's HHS Nominee Comes From Pharmaceutical Industry
But Alex Azar also previously served at the agency as deputy secretary
- President Trump has picked a former top pharmaceutical and government executive to be his Health and Human Services secretary. If confirmed by the Senate, Alex Azar will oversee a $1 trillion department responsible for major health insurance programs, medical research, food and drug safety, and public health. The Azar nomination...
Elton John Calls Out Georgia
Rep. for 'Horrific' HIV Comment
Oct 23, 2017 6:00 PM CDT
Elton John Calls Out Georgia Rep. for 'Horrific' HIV Comment
The singer became the latest to attack Betty Price
- Elton John has jumped into the American culture wars in response to comments from a Georgia state representative suggesting a quarantine might be necessary to stem the spread of HIV, Politico reports. In a statement released by the Elton John AIDS Foundation, the legendary British singer-songwriter lashed out at Rep....
Lawmaker: Could Quarantine
Fix 'Frightening' HIV Situation?
Oct 20, 2017 6:29 PM CDT
Lawmaker: Could Quarantine Fix 'Frightening' HIV Situation?
Georgia Rep. Betty Price is wife of Trump's former Health secretary
- Georgia State Rep. Betty Price admitted during a meeting Tuesday that her "thinking sometimes goes in strange directions," Project Q reports. That may have been an understatement. According to the
, Price was serving on a committee tasked with finding and solving the barriers keeping people from...
White House to Cabinet:
Kelly Must Approve Flights
Sep 30, 2017 11:13 AM CDT
White House to Cabinet: Kelly Must Approve Flights
'Just because something is legal doesn't make it right'
- Trump administration officials who want to travel on government owned or chartered aircraft are going to have to run their travel requests past White House chief of staff John Kelly first, the White House said after Tom Price's resignation as health secretary Friday. In a memo to Cabinet members,...
Sep 29, 2017 4:03 PM CDT
Health Secretary Resigns Over Travel Flap
Tom Price is out after taking expensive charter flights
- President Trump's health secretary has resigned after his travel on costly charter flights triggered investigations and angered his boss, the AP reports. Tom Price's partial repayment and public regrets couldn't save his job. The Health and Human Services secretary became the first member of the president's...
Sep 28, 2017 4:08 PM CDT
HHS Secretary: I'll Reimburse Government for Charter Flights
Tom Price apologizes for costly travel
- Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price is apologizing for taking costly charter flights on the taxpayer's dime and says he is cooperating with investigations into his travel. Price says he'll reimburse the government by writing a check Thursday to reimburse Treasury, and he's pledging not to...
Too Busy to Fly
Sep 21, 2017 10:20 AM CDT
HHS Head Too Busy to Fly Commercial, Says Rep
Democrats are calling for an investigation
- Government officials "check every possible source for travel needs, including commercial, but commercial travel is not always feasible" for Tom Price, who has "an incredibly demanding schedule." That's how a spokesperson defended the Health and Human Services secretary Wednesday after a Politico report claimed Price used...
Trump's HHS Head May Have a
Private Jet Problem: Politico
Sep 20, 2017 2:00 PM CDT
Trump's HHS Head May Have a Private Jet Problem: Politico
Tom Price's 5 recent flights on official business cost an estimated $60K
- Between Sept. 13 and Sept. 15, Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price took five private jet flights for official business, which cost tens of thousands of dollars more than commercial flights would have—a "sharp departure" from the practices of his predecessors, per Politico , and also an odd...
Reporter Says He Was
'Arrested for Asking Question'
May 10, 2017 12:04 PM CDT
Reporter Says He Was 'Arrested for Asking Question'
Dan Heyman repeatedly asked HHS chief about pre-existing conditions
- Everyone's got lots of questions about the American Health Care Act that passed the House last week, and Health and Human Services chief Tom Price seems like he'd be a good person to ask. Reporter Dan Heyman of Public News Service found out that wasn't the case...
Senate to Start
SUNDAY TALK SHOWS
May 7, 2017 11:02 AM CDT
Susan Collins: Senate to Start Health Care 'From Scratch'
Paul Ryan expects Senate 'will complete the job'
- Republican moderate Sen. Susan Collins of Maine is continuing to express concerns about the health care bill passed by the House and says she expects the Senate to start "from scratch." Collins says the House bill is hard to assess because it was passed without a fresh Congressional...
Report: Fired US Attorney
Trump Cabinet Member
Mar 18, 2017 8:53 AM CDT
Report: Fired US Attorney Was Investigating Trump Cabinet Member
Preet Bharara was looking into Price's stock trades, source says
- Preet Bharara, the US attorney fired after refusing to resign with dozens of others last week, had been looking into the same stock trades that Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price was grilled about during his confirmation hearings , a source close to the US Attorney’s Office for the...
Price: Under GOP Health Plan,
No One Takes Financial Hit
Mar 12, 2017 2:04 PM CDT
Price: Under GOP Health Plan, No One Takes Financial Hit
'I firmly believe that nobody will be worse off financially'
- In a letter to lawmakers on Wednesday, the American Hospital Association expressed its concern that the GOP's new health care bill "could lead to tremendous instability for those seeking affordable coverage." In a Sunday appearance on
Meet the Press,
Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price insisted...
Health Secretary Confirmed
With No Democratic Votes
Feb 10, 2017 12:15 AM CST
Health Secretary Confirmed With No Democratic Votes
ObamaCare foe Tom Price passed in 52-47 vote
- A man who wants to do things to ObamaCare that the Hippocratic oath might forbid him doing to a patient is now the top health official in America. Tom Price, a longtime Republican congressman from Georgia, was confirmed as the next Department of Health and Human Services secretary early Friday,...
GOP Advances 2 Nominees
With No Democrats Present
Feb 1, 2017 9:37 AM CST
GOP Advances 2 Nominees With No Democrats Present
After Democratic boycott, Finance Committee Republicans change the rules
- Democrats found a way Tuesday to use the Senate's own rules to stall two of President Trump's Cabinet nominees. On Wednesday, Republicans retaliated in the simplest of ways: They changed those rules. As a result, the names of Treasury nominee Steve Mnuchin and Health and Human Services nominee...
GOP to Dems Skipping Cabinet
Votes: 'Stop Acting Like Idiots'
Jan 31, 2017 12:03 PM CST
GOP to Dems Skipping Cabinet Votes: 'Stop Acting Like Idiots'
Democrats want more information before votes for Mnuchin for Treasury, Price for HHS
- Senate confirmation hearings for President Trump's Cabinet choices got heated Tuesday—or at least the ones that took place. Democrats on the Senate Finance Committee angered not only by Trump's recent travel ban , but also by his firing of acting AG Sally Yates , forced votes Tuesday to be...
Trump Health Pick 'Offended'
by Questions About Stocks
Jan 19, 2017 12:19 AM CST
Trump Health Pick 'Offended' by Questions About Stocks
Tom Price grilled by Franken, Warren
- Donald Trump's choice for health secretary declared himself to be "offended" by Sen. Elizabeth Warren's questions about his investments during Wednesday's Senate Health Committee hearing. Warren was one of numerous Democrats who pressed Rep. Tom Price about his stock transactions in health care companies, the
Is Ready to Go
Jan 16, 2017 6:23 AM CST
Trump: ObamaCare Replacement Is Ready to Go
'Much less expensive and much better'
- Donald Trump says he's got a plan to replace ObamaCare ready to go—and there will be "insurance for everybody." In an interview with the
, the president-elect doesn't say much about the specifics of TrumpCare, though he does say there will be "lower...
Senate Takes Big Step
Toward ObamaCare Repeal
Jan 12, 2017 6:28 AM CST
Senate Takes Big Step Toward ObamaCare Repeal
Democrats protest late-night budget move
- The GOP-controlled Senate isn't waiting for Donald Trump to take office before it gets the ball rolling on repealing ObamaCare. Senators worked late on Wednesday night to approve a budget that will allow them to start dismantling the health law without having to worry about Democratic filibusters, the
Trump's Health Pick:
Leading ObamaCare Critic
Nov 29, 2016 2:52 AM CST
Trump's Health Pick: Leading ObamaCare Critic
Tom Price has drafted House repeal bills
- Donald Trump has chosen a health secretary who knows the system inside out and has been trying to get rid of ObamaCare since before it became law, sources tell Politico , the AP , the
, and other outlets. Rep. Tom Price, a 62-year-old orthopedic surgeon first elected to the House...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A.I. Has Changed Poker, and Maybe Killed Its 'Soul'
A Game for the Ages Sparks Call for Rule Change
Palin Tests Positive for COVID, NYT Trial Delayed
Female Tourist Detained After Giving Nazi Salute at Auschwitz
When Creditor Comes Calling, Cruise Ship Flees to Bahamas
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.