Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 4,675,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
She Was Captive for a Decade. But 'He Couldn't Break Me'
Michelle Knight on Ariel Castro and making the most of life
- There's no need to be pessimistic about 2020. "You can overcome all obstacles that stand in your way," says Michelle Knight, who experienced more than enough hardships before spending 11 years as Ariel Castro's sex slave in Cleveland. "You name it, I went through it,...
2 of Ariel Castro's Victims Finally Tell Their Story
Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus go public for first time with new memoir
- The nightmare of captivity ended for Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight on May 6, 2013, when the women were freed from Ariel Castro's Cleveland home . Berry and DeJesus now describe their ordeal in a 321-page memoir out today.
Hope: A Memoir of Survival in Cleveland
Castro Purposely Left Door Unlocked: Lawyer
Joked with victims about them writing memoirs
- Ariel Castro told Amanda Berry he knew her freedom was coming. Months before the escape a year ago today , Castro began leaving the door unlocked, he told his lawyer. "He intentionally became much more negligent in the house about locking the door and keeping (his victims) inside," Craig...
How Ariel Castro Got Me Into His Home
Michelle Knight speaks to Anderson Cooper
- Today is exactly one year since three women were rescued from Ariel Castro's Cleveland home, and Michelle Knight (now Lillian Rose Lee ) continues to speak out about her experience. Castro's first victim appeared last night on CNN's
Anderson Cooper 360,
in what was the first of...
Kidnap Victim Michelle Knight Changes Her Name
Now she's Lillian Rose Lee
- Michelle Knight is now Lillian Rose Lee. The Cleveland kidnapping victim says she's changed her name, because "I felt like every brand new start needs new beginnings." The new start also includes living in her own apartment and training to be a chef, she tells
Joan Rivers Angers Ohio Women Held Captive
They want apology for joke
- The women freed almost a year ago after a decade of captivity in a Cleveland home aren't happy about Joan Rivers joking about their ordeal. Lawyers for two of the women say Rivers should apologize for saying, "Those women in the basement in Cleveland had more space" when...
Cleveland Hero Scores Book Deal
Charles Ramsey: the media didn't 'even begin to tell the story'
- Putting down his Big Mac to help a woman in distress turned Charles Ramsey into a national celebrity. Now he's turned that into a book deal. Ramsay—who famously freed three women from years of captivity in a Cleveland house—is collaborating with a co-author to write about his...
Cleveland Kidnap Victim Is Writing a Book
Michelle Knight has book deal, memoir out next spring
- One of the three young women held captive for years in a Cleveland house has a book deal. Michelle Knight's memoir is scheduled to come out next spring, publisher Weinstein Books announced today. The book is currently untitled and will be co-written by Michelle Burford, who worked on Olympic...
Castro Victim: I Was Hung Up Like 'Ornament on the Wall'
First look at Michelle Knight's Dr. Phil appearance
- A clip of Cleveland kidnapping survivor Michelle Knight's appearance on the
show has been released, with Knight revealing Ariel Castro tied her up by her hands, feet, and neck using an orange extension cord, and hung her on the wall. “I was tied up like a...
Cleveland Kidnapping Victim Going on
Michelle Knight interview airs this week
- One of three women who escaped from a ramshackle Cleveland home after more than a decade in captivity is about to share her story. Michelle Knight will appear on the
show Tuesday and Wednesday in a taped interview. She was kidnapped in 2002. The show says Knight "...
Ohio Takes Step Toward Castro Victim Reparations
Bill would provide up to $25K per year of captivity
- State financial reparations for Ariel Castro's victims are inching closer to becoming a reality. Under a bill that today moved from a committee to Ohio's full House of Representatives, Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight would receive up to $25,000 for each year they were held...
Ariel Castro Kills Himself in Prison Cell
Cleveland kidnapper hanged self with sheet, wasn't on suicide watch
- Ariel Castro has been found dead in his prison cell just 35 days into his life-plus-1,000-years sentence for keeping three women captive in his home for a decade. The 53-year-old hanged himself, say officials at the Correctional Reception Center in Orient, Ohio. Prison officials found his body about 9:...
Ariel Castro Has to Pay $22K to Raze House
Cleveland home is being torn down tomorrow
- The house where Ariel Castro kept his kidnap victims hostage for a decade is getting torn down tomorrow, and Castro himself has to foot the bill, reports NBC News . As part of his plea deal to avoid the death penalty, Castro must pay the bank $22,000 to cover the...
Ariel Castro Says He's No 'Monster,' Blames Porn
As he's sentenced to life in prison without parole
- Ariel Castro has been sentenced to life without parole for kidnapping and other charges related to the three women he held captive in his home for 10 years, the AP reports. Castro spoke at his sentencing hearing today, insisting that "these people are trying to paint me as a...
Michelle Knight to Castro: 'Your Hell Is Just Beginning'
She testifies at sentencing hearing
- Michelle Knight offered heartbreaking testimony today at Ariel Castro's sentencing hearing , describing how much she missed her son during her 11-year ordeal. "I cried every night. I was so alone. I worried what would happen to me and the other girls every day," she said, according to...
Castro, Victim Will Speak at Today's Sentencing
Kidnapped women kept diaries of horrific abuse
- Ariel Castro's sentencing is today and the hearing is expected to feature horrific details of the abuse the three women he kidnapped suffered over a decade, as well as testimony from at least one victim and Castro himself, CNN reports. Prosecutors have revealed that the women kept diaries documenting...
Judge Orders Ariel Castro: Keep Your Eyes Open
He pleads not guilty, gets admonished about looking down
- Ariel Castro insists he's an innocent man, despite the 977 charges filed against him in the Cleveland kidnapping case . He pleaded not guilty to all of them in court today, reports Reuters . Maybe the most interesting part of the arraignment was the judge ordering Castro to keep his head...
Don't Feel Too Soothed by Kidnap Victims' Video
Meghan Daum: Happy messages can't wash away how their community failed them
- Chances are you've come across the video from the Cleveland kidnap victims this week in which the three women vow not to be defined by that horror. Good for them, because "these women deserve the happiest endings they can possibly find," writes Meghan Daum in the
Cleveland Kidnap Victims Break Silence
Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, Michelle Knight thank public for support
- Two months after their dramatic rescue , three women held captive in a Cleveland home for a decade have issued a YouTube video in which they thank the public for the encouragement and financial support that is allowing them to restart their lives. Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight broke...
Ariel Castro: I Want to See My 6-Year-Old
Judge says no, declares him competent for trial
- Ariel Castro, charged with holding three women captive in his Cleveland home for a decade, is competent to stand trial, a judge ruled today. Judge Michael Russo said the results of an examination last week showed that Castro is mentally able to understand the charges and assist attorneys in his...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Some Mystery Seeds Mailed to Americans Identified
Manhattan DA Reveals Surprise on Trump Inquiry
This May Be a Demographic 'Shock' to Boomers
'Pathetic!': Trump Blasts COVID Adviser Birx
Egypt Sets Elon Musk Straight About Pyramids, Aliens
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.