Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Dishwasher May Have Saved
Toddler in Earthquake
Nov 3, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Dishwasher May Have Saved Toddler in Earthquake
91 hours later, Ayda Gezgin was found in 'life triangle' amid rubble of collapsed building
- Rescues continue after last week's powerful earthquake in Turkey, and a kitchen appliance may have helped save the life of the latest survivor to be found. A day after a 3-year-old girl was pulled out of the debris of a collapsed building in Izmir, another toddler was found alive...
COVID Forces a Lifestyle
Change in India
Oct 6, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
COVID Forces a Lifestyle Change in India
Suddenly, long-unpopular dishwashers are a must-have product
- COVID has brought an unexpected change to India: Suddenly, everyone seems to want a dishwasher in their kitchen. As a post at daijiworld.com explains, the kitchen appliance has never been a big seller in the nation, in part because cheap domestic labor is so plentiful. But the pandemic has...
Blocked From Visiting
Husband, Wife Gets Creative
in case you missed it
Jul 18, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Blocked From Visiting Husband, Wife Gets Creative
Mary Daniel becomes part-time dishwasher at assisted living facility
- She runs a small company that helps people navigate health care bills, but Mary Daniel is also now working as a part-time dishwasher. But hers isn't a story about a struggle to pay the bills—it's about her desire to see her ailing husband. As
Trump's Dishwasher Lament
Dec 19, 2019 10:00 AM CST
Trump's Dishwasher Lament Generates Attention
'Now you press it 12 times. Women tell me ...'
- President Trump gave one of his longest speeches to date Wednesday night, with ridicule of his impeachment in the House a big topic. But Trump also hit on a less consequential issue that's now generating headlines: dishwashers. As in, the machines in people's kitchens. "Remember the dishwasher?...
Job Isn't in Fast Food
Mar 28, 2019 11:59 AM CDT
America's Lowest-Paying Job Isn't in Fast Food
Food service industry still dominates the top 10, though
- The website 24/7 Wall St has determined the lowest-paying jobs in America, and it finds that women dominate 18 of the top 25 occupations on the list. It turns out that those in the laundry and dry-cleaning business make the least of all US workers. The site compiled the list...
Food Critic Gets Eye-Opener
as Dishwasher for a Day
Aug 11, 2017 12:10 PM CDT
Food Critic Gets Eye-Opener as Dishwasher for a Day
Scrub, scrub, scrub—and be wary of habanero oil
- To be a dishwasher in a top restaurant, you need a "heroic" work ethic, says Tom Sietsema. That's just one thing the
food critic discovered after spending seven hours doing that very job. Taking a shift at Caracol, chef Hugo Ortega's 250-seat Mexican seafood restaurant...
Top Chef Names Dishwasher
Co-Owner of Restaurant
Mar 1, 2017 11:33 AM CST
Top Chef Names Dishwasher Co-Owner of Restaurant
Ali Sonko becomes partner in Noma in Copenhagen
- The best chefs will tell you the success of a restaurant depends not on the chef, but on the entire staff, including the dishwashers. Chef Rene Redzepi is clearly among that group. When his Noma restaurant in Copenhagen received the first of four Best Restaurant in the World awards in...
If You Do It Right
Oct 1, 2015 8:02 AM CDT
Doing Dishes Relieves Stress— If You Do It Right
Mindfulness can be achieved through the most mundane everyday activities
- Washing the dishes can be a calming activity, and not just because it's repetitive. Reporting in the journal
, Florida State University researchers say that those who do it mindfully (i.e., really smelling the soap, sensing the water temperature) enjoy increased feelings of inspiration and decreased nervousness. Not...
Study Suggests You
Give Up the Dishwasher
in case you missed it
Feb 28, 2015 7:00 AM CST
Study Suggests You Give Up the Dishwasher
Kids in homes where dishes are hand-washed have lower allergy rates
- You may think you're keeping your family healthy by sanitizing every dishload in a leave-no-bacteria-behind dishwasher, but a new study suggests good old-fashioned hand-washing may lessen kids' chances of developing allergies, the
New York Times
reports. As per a study published in
, scientists studied more than 1,000...
Now You're Cooking
With ... a Dishwasher?
Aug 25, 2013 5:10 PM CDT
Now You're Cooking With ... a Dishwasher?
Latest food fad is poaching salmon and washing your dishes at the same time
- For those too lazy or cheap for a microwave, NPR looks at the fabled art of ... cooking in a dishwasher. Yes, this is an actual thing that people actually do, and apparently it's growing in popularity. The "traditional method," writes Michaeleen Doucleff—who says her mother has...
Popular on Newser
Great Barrier Reef Just 'Gave Birth'
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
Snowboarding Legend Dies in Filming Accident
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Wrongfully Jailed at 18, He's Now a Millionaire
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.