Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,851,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Reagan, Gorbachev Signed It 32 Years Ago. Now, a Dead Deal
US and Russia both walked away Friday from arms control treaty; US to test new missile
- The United States plans to test a new missile in coming weeks that would have been prohibited under a landmark, 32-year-old arms control treaty that the US and Russia ripped up on Friday. Washington and Moscow walked out of the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty that President Reagan and Soviet leader...
Putin Just Made 'Tit-for-Tat' Move on INF Treaty
Following in US footsteps, Russia's pulling out of treaty now, too, he says
- On Friday, the US said it would pull out of a longtime arms-control treaty with Russia; on Saturday, Russia followed suit. There'd been a small window to save the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces (INF) Treaty, which had been in place since the end of the Cold War, with Russia still...
'We Must Prepare for a World Without the INF Treaty'
Pompeo announces the US is withdrawing
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced Friday that the US is pulling out of a treaty with Russia that's been a centerpiece of arms control since the Cold War. The American withdrawal, expected for months, follows years of unresolved dispute over Russian compliance with the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces, or...
Putin Praises US Move: 'On This, Donald Is Right'
Russian leader talks about Syria in his annual news conference, also warns about nukes
- Russia's Vladimir Putin answered questions at his annual marathon news conference Thursday, and President Trump was a key topic. Putin delivered both praise and criticism, with two subjects generating the most attention:
Putin loves Trump's controversial decision to withdraw US troops from Syria. "On this, Donald
Russia to Trump: Treaty Pullout a 'Very Dangerous Step'
Britain 'absolutely' stands with White House, while Germany calls the move 'regrettable'
- A day after President Trump announced his intention to scrap a landmark arms control deal with Russia, the Kremlin called the pullout "a very dangerous step." Trump is sending national security adviser John Bolton to Moscow to meet with Russian leaders, including Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Security...
Russia Is Using Banned Missile, So US Looks to Build Same One
Goal is to put pressure on Russia, officials tell 'WSJ'
- The Pentagon has researched what it would take to build a kind of missile banned under a Cold War-era treaty—in an effort to pressure Russia to stop using those very missiles. Officials tell the
Wall Street Journal
they are "laying the groundwork" necessary to build ground-based, intermediate-range missiles...
Russia Has Reportedly Violated Major Nuke Treaty
It's 'testing' Trump, says John McCain
- Sen. John McCain says Russia is "testing" President Trump by deploying an operational cruise missile in violation of a Cold War-era nuclear treaty. Officials tell the
New York Times
that Russia has two battalions of the cruise missile inside the country—one at an operational base and another at...
US: Russia Violated Key Nuke Treaty
Tests violated 1987 pact, administration says
- US-Russian relations just slid a lot further downhill: The US says Russia has violated a 1987 arms control treaty that helped end the Cold War, the
New York Times
reports. The formal accusation of violating the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty—also known as the INF Treaty—comes after years of...
US Knows Russia Violated Nuke Treaty: Report
Kerry was briefed as senator before becoming secretary of state, says Daily Beast
- Russia has not only violated a major nuclear arms treaty, but the US knows about it and doesn't seem willing to confront Moscow, according to a report in the Daily Beast . The story by Josh Rogin says two top White House officials told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee behind...
Popular on Newser
Last Pension Tied to Civil War Has Been Paid Out
Ben & Jerry's 'Just Put All Corporate Statements to Shame'
It Was a Major COVID Study. Now, Something Fishy?
Here's How Much a Mask Reduces Coronavirus Transmission
Trump: I Was Only Inspecting That Bunker
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.