Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
In the Year Before
Tony Hsieh's Death,
Apr 4, 2021 1:37 PM CDT
In the Year Before Tony Hsieh's Death, an Unraveling
The 'Wall Street Journal' looks at the Zappos founder's life in Park City, Utah
- By now, you've likely heard the grim story of Tony Hsieh, the Zappos founder who died of smoke inhalation after being pulled from an on-fire shed in a Connecticut yard in November. Relying on interviews, personal documents, public and court records, emails, and more, the
Wall Street Journal
Zappos Founder Locked Self
in Shed Before Deadly Fire
Jan 26, 2021 3:39 PM CST
Zappos Founder Locked Self in Shed Before Deadly Fire
Investigators say blaze may have been intentional
- The fire that killed Zappos founder Tony Hsieh in November may not have been accidentally set, investigators in Connecticut say, though they have given its cause as undetermined. Fire investigators say security video captured the 46-year-old peering out the door of a pool storage shed; smoke could be seen behind...
Dec 6, 2020 5:00 PM CST
The Zappos Visionary Was 'in Trouble' When He Died
Tony Hsieh, a grandiose dreamer, was indulging in extreme behavior
- The visionary who co-founded Zappos fell into a spiral of extreme behavior—including drugs, alcohol, and self-starvation—before dying last month in a house fire, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. "Tony is in trouble," an insider warned one of Tony Hsieh's old friends. Indeed, people say Hsieh...
Cause of Death
Dec 1, 2020 1:02 AM CST
Cause of Death for Zappos Visionary Revealed
Tony Hsieh died of smoke inhalation
- The cause of death for former Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh, who died Friday at age 46 , was revealed by the medical examiner's office Monday. Hsieh, who was hospitalized after a Connecticut house fire Nov. 18 and never recovered, died from complications of smoke inhalation, the
Dead at 46
Nov 29, 2020 7:33 AM CST
Zappos Visionary Dead at 46
Tony Hsieh dies of injuries sustained in a house fire
- Tony Hseih, the Zappos visionary who convinced skeptical Americans to buy shoes online without trying them on, paid new employees to quit, and lived in an Airstream, has died at the age of 46 from complications from a house fire, reports the
Wall Street Journal .
Fire officials in New London,...
in case you missed it
Oct 11, 2015 10:03 AM CDT
Zappos' Bizarre Work Culture Will Blow Your Mind
CEO thinks no bosses, new lingo, and flexible rules will revolutionize workplace
- Amazon may have acquired Zappos six years ago, but it's likely the work culture at the latter is dramatically different from that of the former. That's because Zappos, under the direction of CEO Tony Hsieh, is pioneering a total revamp of its workplace, including getting rid of all...
Away With Job
in case you missed it
Jan 4, 2014 6:59 AM CST
Zappos Does Away With Job Titles, Managers
Retailer turns to 'holacratic' model
- Online retailer Zappos is making a dramatic change to its company hierarchy—in fact, it's getting rid of it. CEO Tony Hsieh explained to employees last month that the company was ditching job titles and management positions in favor of a system known as "Holacracy." The term,...
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.