Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Supreme Court Tosses
May 7, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Supreme Court Tosses 'Bridgegate' Convictions
Traffic jam concocted as political revenge in New Jersey wasn't a federal crime, say justices
- Remember " Bridgegate "? That was the New Jersey scandal back in 2013 in which allies of Gov. Chris Christie created an epic traffic jam as political revenge. It's back in the news Thursday because the Supreme Court unanimously tossed the convictions of two Christie aides behind the...
Jul 12, 2017 1:10 PM CDT
Bridgegate Mastermind Sentenced
David Wildstein avoids prison
- A former ally to Gov. Chris Christie who was the mastermind of the 2013 George Washington Bridge lane-closing scheme will avoid prison after pleading guilty and giving testimony that helped convict two former aides to him, the AP reports. Federal Judge Susan Wigenton in Newark sentenced David Wildstein to three...
Christie Aides Sentenced to
Prison Over Bridgegate
Mar 29, 2017 4:05 PM CDT
Christie Aides Sentenced to Prison Over Bridgegate
Bill Baroni gets 2 years; Bridget Kelly gets 18 months
- Two former aides to Gov. Chris Christie were sentenced to prison Wednesday for their role in a political revenge plot involving traffic jams at the country's busiest bridge, a scandal that sank the Republican's presidential aspirations, the AP reports. Bill Baroni, Christie's appointee to the Port Authority...
Verdict in Bridgegate Trial Is
Bad News for Chris Christie
Nov 4, 2016 12:19 PM CDT
Verdict in Bridgegate Trial Is Bad News for Chris Christie
Bridget Anne Kelly and Bill Baroni face decades in prison
- The six-week Bridgegate trial ended Friday with two Chris Christie allies being found guilty of conspiracy, fraud, and civil rights deprivation, CNN reports. According to the
New Jersey Star-Ledger
, it took the jury most of the week to reach the verdict. Bill Baroni, former deputy executive director of the Port...
Ex-Staffer: Christie Approved
Bridgegate Lane Closures
Oct 22, 2016 4:57 PM CDT
Ex-Staffer: Christie Approved Bridgegate Lane Closures
Bridget Anne Kelly testified Friday
- Despite what Chris Christie has said, his former deputy chief of staff testified Friday that she told him about the 2013 lane closures on the George Washington Bridge a month before they happened,
New York Magazine
reports. Bridget Anne Kelly is facing charges of conspiracy and fraud for her role...
Judge Greenlights Misconduct
Complaint Against Christie
Oct 13, 2016 11:14 AM CDT
Judge Greenlights Misconduct Complaint Against Christie
Criminal summons issued for governor in BridgeGate; court bursts into applause
- A citizen's official misconduct complaint against New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie can move forward, a judge in the state ruled Thursday. Bill Brennan, whom the
describes as a "citizen activist" and Christie's office describes as "a known serial complainant and political activist with a history...
Sep 19, 2016 1:30 PM CDT
Prosecutors: We'll Prove Christie Knew About Bridgegate
Trial into New Jersey political scandal starts
- Remember Bridgegate ? The New Jersey political scandal in which Chris Christie's administration is accused of snarling traffic on the George Washington Bridge to punish a rival mayor is making headlines again as the trial of two Christie allies begins. And if prosecutors are correct in their opening statements,...
or Return Salary
May 2, 2015 10:12 AM CDT
NJ Paper to Christie: Ditch Campaign or Return Salary
Governor says he's vindicated in bridge scandal, but critics unswayed
- In New Jersey yesterday, two former allies of Chris Christie were indicted in the bridge-closing fiasco of 2013, and a third pleaded guilty . And even though the latter continues to insist that the governor knew of the plan, no evidence has emerged so far to support that. Christie immediately issued...
Is Back: Pal
May 1, 2015 11:07 AM CDT
Christie's Bridge Scandal Is Back: Pal Pleads Guilty
Two others to be indicted; these are the first charges in the 2013 scandal
- As if Chris Christie's political fortunes weren't in enough trouble, Bridgegate is making headlines again. That would be the 2013 scandal in which the New Jersey governor's aides were accused of shutting down two lanes of traffic on the world's busiest bridge as a political vendetta...
Jun 24, 2014 9:20 AM CDT
Christie Under Investigation for
Federal prosecutors looking into whether he deceived bondholders
- Apparently Chris Christie has a problem with bridges. Federal prosecutors' investigation into the George Washington Bridge scandal has now widened to include several other bridge closings, the
New York Times
reports. So far they're focused primarily on repairs to the Pulaski Skyway, and while the allegations aren't nearly...
Mar 28, 2014 3:38 PM CDT
Christie Report Called Sexist in Treatment of Ex-Aide
Bridget Anne Kelly 'seemed emotional' and is given most of the blame
- Chris Christie surely knew that the report exonerating him in the Jersey bridge scandal would be called biased because he himself commissioned it. But sexist, too? That's the gist of criticism making the rounds because of the report's treatment of former Christie aide Bridget Anne Kelly . Investigators wrote...
Mar 27, 2014 3:51 PM CDT
Report Ordered by Christie Clears Him
Governor says he doesn't recall being informed of lane closings
- In the for-what-it's-worth department, an internal report commissioned by the Chris Christie administration has cleared the governor of wrongdoing in the big bridge scandal, reports Reuters . "What we found was Gov. Christie had no involvement in the decision to close these lanes, and no prior knowledge of it,...
Christie Aides Wanted
to Punish a Rabbi, Too
Feb 27, 2014 6:30 PM CST
Christie Aides Wanted to Punish a Rabbi, Too
They joked about a traffic jam near his house
- A big batch of emails among current and former Chris Christie aides is out, and while no bombshells appear to be in the mix, one exchange in particular is getting a lot of attention. Weeks before bridgegate , Christie's then deputy chief of staff, Bridget Anne Kelly , joked with former...
Feb 4, 2014 7:40 AM CST
Fired Christie Aide Refuses Subpoena, Pleads Fifth
Bridget Kelly is also invoking the 4th Amendment
- A former Chris Christie aide at the center of the Fort Lee traffic scandal has refused to surrender subpoenaed documents ; Bridget Anne Kelly is invoking the Fifth Amendment, protecting her from self-incrimination. Kelly, who penned the infamous email calling for "traffic problems in Fort Lee," is also pointing...
Jan 23, 2014 2:09 PM CST
Feds Subpoena Christie Campaign Over Bridge Scandal
US Attorney homes in on Bridgegate
- The Christie for Governor reelection campaign and the New Jersey Republican State Committee are both staring down the barrel of subpoenas from the US Attorney's office, demanding documents related to September's now-infamous George Washington Bridge lane closings, the
New Jersey Star-Ledger
reports. The subpoenas come on top of...
Carl Lewis: Chris Christie Retaliated Against Me, Too
Jan 21, 2014 10:50 AM CST
Carl Lewis: Chris Christie Retaliated Against Me, Too
'I felt like he was trying to intimidate me, absolutely,' Olympic legend says
- Add Carl Lewis to the list of people piling on Chris Christie. The Olympic legend today revived his allegations that Christie's administration abruptly ditched a plan to name him New Jersey's "youth fitness ambassador" as soon as Lewis announced that he'd be running for state Senate...
'I Didn't Think
TALK SHOW ROUNDUP
Jan 19, 2014 11:42 AM CST
Hoboken Mayor: 'I Didn't Think Anyone Would Believe Me'
Dawn Zimmer denies she's playing politics in Christie accusation
- Dawn Zimmer took her crusade against Chris Christie to CNN today, telling
State of the Union
of her accusation that the governor held Sandy recovery funds hostage , "It's stunning. It's outrageous. But it's true." Of her timing, Zimmer admits that "I probably should have...
Hit With Subpoenas
Jan 17, 2014 8:28 AM CST
Christie Staffers Hit With Subpoenas
As preliminary investigation finds 'zero evidence' of traffic study
- Three organizations and 17 members of Chris Christie's current and former staff—including former deputy chief of staff Bridget Kelly, ex-campaign manager Bill Stepien, and press secretary Michael Drewniak—were last night slapped with subpoenas demanding they hand over any Bridgegate documents to a legislative panel looking into the...
Why We Need
Jan 15, 2014 11:49 AM CST
Why We Need Dirty Politics
That's how the US 'gets things done': David Plotz
- Chris Christie's career in bullying is over: After Bridgegate , "Christie can’t be Christie anymore," writes David Plotz at Slate . "That's a shame," because we need more corruption in American politics. It's how things get done, Plotz notes: "Minor forms of corruption—...
Jan 14, 2014 2:51 PM CST
Christie: 'Mistakes Were Clearly Made'
He opens state-of-the-state address with acknowledgement of bridge scandal
- It is generally not a good thing when a governor has to begin his annual state-of-the-state address with a promise to "cooperate with all appropriate inquiries." But such is the case in New Jersey, where Chris Christie addressed Bridgegate right off the bat this afternoon, reports CNN . The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Alec Baldwin Sued by Family of Fallen Marine
FBI Searches Congressman's Home
After Subway Push, Driver Stops With Inches to Spare
Report Incriminates Ex-Pope on Sex Abuse Cases
Tongans Celebrate 'Real Life Aquaman' Who Survived Tsunami
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.