Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Russia: Ukraine Just Launched
Major Drone Attack on Crimea
Nov 24, 2023 9:40 AM CST
Russia: Ukraine Just Launched Major Drone Attack on Crimea
Meanwhile, Ukrainian officials say Russia has upped its attempts to overtake city of Avdiivka
- Ukraine launched one of the biggest drone attacks on the Moscow-annexed Crimean Peninsula since the full-scale war that started with Russia's invasion 21 months ago, Russian officials said Friday. They didn't mention any casualties or damage. At the same time, Ukrainian officials reported that the Kremlin's forces...
on 'Wanted' List
Nov 20, 2023 11:20 AM CST
Russia Puts Ukrainian 2016 Eurovision Winner on 'Wanted' List
Moscow charges Jamala with violating law against spreading fake information about war in Ukraine
- Russia has placed a Ukrainian singer who won the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest on its "wanted" list, state news agencies reported Monday. The reports said an Interior Ministry database listed singer Susana Jamaladinova as being sought for violating a criminal law, reports the AP . The independent news site Mediazona,...
Ukraine: Strike Killed Leaders
of Russia's Black Sea Fleet
Sep 23, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Ukraine: Strike Killed Leaders of Russia's Black Sea Fleet
Attacks on targets in occupied Crimea are on the rise
- Ukraine said it launched missiles timed to strike during a high-level meeting at Russia's Black Sea headquarters. "The result is dozens of dead and wounded occupants, including the senior leadership of the fleet," Special Operations Forces posted on Telegram. Russia's defense ministry responded that just one...
Russia: Ukraine Hit 2 Warships
Sep 13, 2023 8:19 AM CDT
Russia: Ukraine Hit 2 Warships
Ukrainian attack on Sevastopol shipyard injures 2 dozen
- Russia made a rare acknowledgment of a successful Ukrainian attack Wednesday, noting two of its warships were damaged and 24 people were injured in Sevastopol, the largest city on the illegally annexed Crimean peninsula. Ukraine attacked the Sergo Ordzhonikidze shipyard, which serves as a repair base for Russia's Black...
Sep 8, 2023 8:43 AM CDT
Book: Musk Blocked Drone Attack by Ukraine
Walter Isaacson reveals SpaceX CEO's role in turning off Starlink network near Crimea in 2022
- Earlier this year, SpaceX execs acknowledged that they blocked Ukrainian forces from using Starlink communications systems for military purposes in the war against Russia. Now, CNN reports that SpaceX CEO Elon Musk personally had his engineers cut off power last year—the exact date isn't clear—to a Starlink...
US Fears Ukraine
Won't Meet Main Goal
Aug 18, 2023 9:42 AM CDT
US Fears Ukraine Won't Meet Main Goal of Counteroffensive
Forces are slowly making progress, but 'gateway to Crimea' could be out of reach
- After more than two months of fighting, Ukraine has failed to make a major breakthrough in its counteroffensive and American intelligence officials now believe it won't meet its main objective, the
reports, citing sources in the intelligence community. The
sources say US officials have predicted...
Drones Descended on
Moscow. Now, on Crimea
Aug 12, 2023 6:00 AM CDT
Drones Descended on Moscow. Now, on Crimea
Russian Defense Ministry says it shot down 14, jammed 6 electronically; Ukraine is staying mum
- Russia thwarted an attack by 20 Ukrainian drones targeting Moscow-annexed Crimea overnight, the Russian Defense Ministry said Saturday. Fourteen drones were shot down by Russian air defenses and a further six were jammed electronically, the ministry said in a Telegram post. No casualties or damage were reported, per the AP...
This Forced Evacuation
of 2K at Crimea Military Base
Jul 19, 2023 3:13 PM CDT
This Forced Evacuation of 2K at Crimea Military Base
Ammunition fire also caused closure of major highway
- Two days after an attack on a bridge linking Russia to the Crimean peninsula, a major fire at a military base in the Russian-occupied peninsula has forced the evacuation of 2,000 people, according to Crimea's governor. Russian-installed governor Sergei Aksyonov said the fire at a military training ground...
Crimea Oil Depot Up in Flames
After Alleged Drone Attack
Apr 29, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Crimea Oil Depot Up in Flames After Alleged Drone Attack
Russian official in Sevastopol blames Ukrainian drones; Ukraine hasn't taken responsibility
- A massive fire erupted at an oil depot in Crimea after it was hit by two of Ukraine's drones, a Russia-appointed official there reported Saturday, the latest in a series of attacks on the annexed peninsula as Russia braces for an expected Ukrainian counteroffensive. Mikhail Razvozhayev, the Moscow-installed governor...
Russia Arrests 8 in
Crimea Bridge Attack
Oct 12, 2022 6:46 AM CDT
Russia Arrests 8 in Crimea Bridge Attack
Nation's FSB says explosives came to Russia from Ukraine via Bulgaria, Georgia, Armenia
- Vladimir Putin seemed determined to find out who blew up a portion of the bridge connecting Crimea to Russia over the weekend, and on Wednesday, his FSB security service announced it had arrested eight individuals in connection with the blast. Officials say five of the arrestees were Russian, while the...
Zelensky Makes Sly Dig
After Stunning Bridge Bomb
Oct 9, 2022 8:00 AM CDT
Zelensky Makes Sly Dig After Stunning Bridge Bomb
However, no one has claimed responsibility for attack on vital Russian span to Crimea
- A day after a truck bomb severely damaged Russia's sole bridge to the Crimean Peninsula, authorities in Ukraine made clear they welcomed the development. However, Ukraine has stopped short of claiming responsibility for the attack on the Kerch Bridge, reports the BBC . President Volodymyr Zelensky took note of the...
Damage From Blast
on Crimean Bridge
May Have 'Profound Effect'
Oct 8, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Damage From Blast on Crimean Bridge May Have 'Profound Effect'
No responsibility yet claimed, but damage may cause big roadblock on Russian supplies for war
- The only bridge connecting the Crimean Peninsula to the Russian mainland appeared to have been badly damaged Saturday after an apparent truck explosion. The
New York Times
reports the blast on the 12-mile bridge over the Kerch Strait caused a fire and the collapse of part of the bridge into...
Russia Fights Drone Attack on
Black Sea Fleet Headquarters
Aug 20, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Russia Fights Drone Attack on Black Sea Fleet Headquarters
Ukraine has aimed attacks at Crimea to cause instability
- A drone strike reached into the headquarters of Russia's Black Sea fleet in Crimea on Saturday. Sevastopol's governor said Russian forces shot down the drone as it approached, though no independent source verified that. Ukraine didn't say whether it launched the strike, though it posted video of...
Explosions Rip Through
Russian Ammo Depot in Crimea
Aug 16, 2022 5:52 PM CDT
Explosions Rip Through Russian Ammo Depot in Crimea
Russia blames an 'act of sabotage'
- Explosions and fires ripped through an ammunition depot in Russian-occupied Crimea on Tuesday in the second suspected Ukrainian attack on the peninsula in just over a week, forcing the evacuation of more than 3,000 people. Russia blamed the blasts in the village of Mayskoye on an "act of...
Ukraine Says Crimea Blasts
Destroyed 9 Russian Planes
Aug 10, 2022 12:54 PM CDT
Ukraine Says Crimea Blasts Destroyed 9 Russian Planes
Russia denies aircraft were damaged in Saki explosions
: Ukraine's air force said Wednesday that nine Russian warplanes were destroyed in a deadly string of explosions at an air base in Crimea, amid speculation the blasts were the result of a Ukrainian attack that would represent a significant escalation in the war, the AP reports. Russia denied...
French Champagne Makers
Decry 'Scandalous' Putin Law
Jul 6, 2021 11:37 AM CDT
French Champagne Makers Decry 'Scandalous' Putin Law
His legislation suggests the only real champagne is from Russia
- French Champagne producers make one thing very clear : The only legal Champagne comes from the Champagne region of France. To their chagrin, Russia sees things a bit differently. Under a law signed by President Vladimir Putin on Friday, only local producers can slap the word "shampanskoye," the Russian...
Russia Says It Used
Bombs, Warning Shots
to Deter NATO Ship
Jun 23, 2021 4:49 PM CDT
Russia Says It Used Bombs, Warning Shots to Deter NATO Ship
Moscow claims British warship was in Russian waters
- Russia says it used warning shots and bombs Wednesday to force a British warship out of waters near Crimea that it claims as its own—but British authorities have a very different version of events. Moscow accused the HMS Defender of "dangerous actions" Wednesday and said a patrol ship...
Jun 8, 2021 8:33 AM CDT
Ukraine's Soccer Uniform Ticks Off Russia
Shirt unveiled ahead of Euro 2020 includes Russia-annexed Crimea within Ukraine's borders
- There's a push in many corners to keep politics out of sports, but with its latest move, Ukraine has made it clear it isn't part of that movement. On Sunday, less than a week before the Euro 2020 soccer championship kicks off on Friday, the country unveiled its...
Biden to Meet With
the Guy He Called a 'Killer'
May 25, 2021 11:43 AM CDT
Biden to Meet With the Guy He Called a 'Killer'
President, Vladimir Putin will get together next month in Switzerland
- President Biden will meet face to face with Vladimir Putin, the man he recently labeled a "killer," next month in Switzerland. The meeting will take place June 16 in Geneva, and the
New York Times
expects it to focus heavily on nuclear arms. But the pair should have...
Russia to Pull Troops
Back Near Ukraine,
Weapons to Remain
Apr 22, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Russia to Pull Troops Back Near Ukraine, Weapons to Remain
The heavy weapons will be used during military exercise later this year, per defense minister
- Russia's defense minister on Thursday ordered troops back to their permanent bases following massive drills in Crimea that involved 10,000 troops, 1,200 military vehicles, 200 warplanes, and 60 navy ships in a show of force amid tensions with Ukraine. "I consider the goals of the snap...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.