Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Economy Bounces Back,
but It Might Be Short-Lived
Oct 27, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
US Economy Bounces Back, but It Might Be Short-Lived
Things are worse than growth figures suggest, analysts say
- The US economy grew at a better-than-expected 2.6% annual rate from July through September, snapping two straight quarters of economic contraction and overcoming punishingly high inflation and interest rates, the A P reports—but many economists say the outlook is worse than the figures suggest. Thursday's estimate from...
GDP Report Contains
Informal Sign of a Recession
Jul 28, 2022 8:25 AM CDT
GDP Report Contains Informal Sign of a Recession
US economy shrank for 2nd quarter in a row
- The US economy shrank from April through June for a second straight quarter, contracting at a 0.9% annual pace and raising fears that the nation may be approaching a recession. The decline that the Commerce Department reported Thursday in the gross domestic product—the broadest gauge of the economy—...
Congressional Budget Office:
Deficit Will Shrink, Then Surge
May 25, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Congressional Budget Office: Deficit Will Shrink, Then Surge
It released an economic outlook Wednesday
- The Congressional Budget Office released an economic outlook Wednesday saying that high inflation will persist into next year, likely causing the federal government to pay higher interest rates on its debt. The nonpartisan agency expects that the consumer price index will rise 6.1% this year and 3.1% in...
US Economy Shrinks for
the First Time Since 2020
Apr 28, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
US Economy Shrinks for the First Time Since 2020
But experts say the economy is still robust
- In the first quarter of 2022, the US economy shrank for the first time since COVID sent it into a "deep, dark hole" in 2020—but economists believe the fall in GDP is a blip, not a sign the US is entering a recession again. The economy contracted at...
New GDP Number Marks
a Milestone for Economy
Jul 29, 2021 8:09 AM CDT
New GDP Number Marks a Milestone for Economy
'Officially back and fully recovered,' declares 'Washington Post'
- The new GDP numbers are out, and they show that the economy grew at a fast pace in the second quarter—though not quite as fast as expected.
The nation's gross domestic product increased by 6.5% from April through June, below expectations of 8.4%, reports
2020 Economy Worst
Since World War II
Jan 28, 2021 8:24 AM CST
2020 Economy Worst Since World War II
GDP fell by 3.5%, though final quarter showed growth
- The final report on the 2020 economy is in, resulting in bleak historical comparisons but also hope for a better 2021. In terms of the specific numbers, the economy grew by 4% in the final quarter of the year, below estimates of 4.3%, reports CNBC . For the full year,...
US Economy Grows at
Record Pace, With an Asterisk
Oct 29, 2020 7:42 AM CDT
US Economy Grows at Record Pace, With an Asterisk
GDP expands at 33% annual rate after previous quarter's plunge
- The last major report card on the economy before the election is out, and expect to hear President Trump making a big deal out of it. The Commerce Department reported Thursday that the economy grew at a record annual rate of 33% in the third quarter, per the AP . As...
Final GDP Number Is One
for the Record Books: 31.4%
Sep 30, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
Final GDP Number Is One for the Record Books: 31.4%
That's the Q2 contraction
- The US economy plunged at a record rate in the spring but is poised to swing to a record increase in the quarter that just ended. The Commerce Department reported Wednesday in its final estimate for the April-June quarter that the gross domestic product, the economy’s total output of...
This Is the Cost of Going
a Day Without a Mask
Aug 25, 2020 7:34 AM CDT
This Is the Cost of Going a Day Without a Mask
It equals a $56.14 loss in GDP: 'Economist'
- "Governments should do even more to nudge the minority of people who still forgo masks" into wearing them, according to the
, which has discovered the economic value to such a move. The paper determined that each American who wears a face mask for one day "is helping...
UK Recession Is
Basically the Worst
Aug 12, 2020 6:02 AM CDT
UK Recession Is Basically the Worst
Its economy contracted by more than any other major economy in Q2
- It's a double whammy for the UK, which as of Wednesday claims not just Europe's worst coronavirus death toll, but also the worst recession of any major economy. Stats released Wednesday show the UK's GDP shrank 20.4% in the second quarter after a 2.2% loss...
Virus Did Unprecedented
Things to the GDP
Jul 30, 2020 8:36 AM CDT
Virus Did Unprecedented Things to the GDP
It fell by a staggering 33% annual rate in 2nd quarter
- Economists were bracing for an awful report card Thursday in regard to the pandemic, and it was indeed awful. The US economy shrank by an unprecedented 33% annual rate in the April-to-June quarter, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. It is by far the worst figure for gross domestic product since...
'Devastating Force' of Virus
Rampages Through Q1 GDP
Apr 29, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
'Devastating Force' of Virus Rampages Through Q1 GDP
US economy shrank at 4.8% annual rate last quarter—and it's estimated to fall 40% in Q2
- The US economy shrank at a 4.8% annual rate last quarter as the coronavirus pandemic shut down much of the country and began triggering a recession that will end the longest economic expansion on record. The Commerce Department says the gross domestic product, the total output of goods and...
Slowest in 3 Years
Jan 30, 2020 11:22 AM CST
Economic Growth Slowest in 3 Years
US economy grew at a rate of 2.1% in the 4th quarter of 2019, 2.3% all year
- The US economy grew at a moderate 2.1% rate in the final three months of 2019, capping a year when growth slowed significantly due to a weaker global economy and trade war uncertainties, the AP reports. The Commerce Department reported Thursday that the fourth-quarter increase in the gross domestic...
Budget Deficit Nears
Jan 28, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Budget Deficit Nears 'Unprecedented' Level
The CBO says it will top $1 trillion, again
- An annual congressional report says the US budget deficit is likely to burst through the symbolic $1 trillion barrier this year despite a healthy economy, the AP reports. Tuesday's Congressional Budget Office report follows a burst of new spending last year and the repeal in December of several taxes...
New GDP Number
Is Out. Here's
What It Means
Oct 30, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
New GDP Number Is Out. Here's What It Means
Growth slips to 1.9% in 3rd quarter but beats expectations
- The summer temps may have been record-setting hot, but the economy experienced some chills. Data out Wednesday via the Commerce Department shows GDP grew at a 1.9% rate from July through September, down from a growth rate of 2% in the second quarter. Why, what it means, and President...
GDP Report Carries
a Mixed Message
Jul 26, 2019 8:39 AM CDT
GDP Report Carries a Mixed Message
Growth slows, but consumer spending takes off
- The US economy slowed sharply in the April-June quarter even as consumers stepped up their spending, per the AP . The gross domestic product, the economy's total output of goods and services, grew at a 2.1% annual rate last quarter, down from a 3.1% gain in the first...
GDP Growth Much
Better Than Expected
Apr 26, 2019 9:41 AM CDT
GDP Growth Much Better Than Expected
President Trump's 3% bar is exceeded
- The US economy grew at a solid 3.2% annual rate in the first three months of the year, up from 2.2% at the end of 2018, for a far better outcome than expected, per the AP . However, about half the gain reflected two factors not expected to last—...
GDP Growth Slides
Back Under 3%
Feb 28, 2019 10:40 AM CST
GDP Growth Slides Back Under 3%
That's the benchmark Trump wants, but 2018 falls just short
- The US economy slowed in the final three months of last year to an annual growth rate of 2.6%, the slowest pace since the beginning of 2018, as the government shutdown and other factors took a toll, per the AP . "Softer but still solid" is how the
Shutdown's Permanent Toll
on Economy Is a Small One
Jan 28, 2019 11:00 AM CST
Shutdown's Permanent Toll on Economy Is a Small One
By year's end, GDP will be 0.02% smaller because of the shutdown
- The federal government shutdown will cause slight permanent harm to the economy—about $3 billion—according to a report Monday by the Congressional Budget Office. The report says the five-week shutdown has slowed growth in the near term but that most of the lost growth "will eventually be recovered,...
President Trump Gets the
Growth Rate He Wanted
Jul 27, 2018 7:48 AM CDT
President Trump Gets the Growth Rate He Wanted
Q2 number exceeded the 3.7% he said he wanted to be above
- President Trump on Thursday said he'd be happy with economic growth that exceeded 3.7%—meaning he's likely quite pleased. The US economy surged in the April-June quarter, growing at an annual rate of 4.1%. That's the fastest pace since 2014, reports the AP , driven...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
Dallas Zoo Adds Another Mystery to the List
Woman Allegedly Killed Lookalike She Found on Instagram
TikTok Trend Leads to More Bad News for Kia, Hyundai Owners
With Laverne, Cindy Williams Skipped Through Milwaukee
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.