Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
SS Central America
Millions in Gold Sank in 1857; Now, It's for Sale
The 2nd haul from the SS Central America, discovered by jailed treasure hunter, goes on block
- More than $50 million worth of gold that's described as the greatest lost treasure in US history is about to make its debut in California after sitting at the bottom of the sea for more than 160 years. The 3,100 gold coins, 45 gold bars, and 80 pounds...
Treasure Hunter Has to Stay in Jail Until 'Epiphany'
'It is the season of miracles,' judge says of deep-sea explorer's 'memory loss'
- Tommy Thompson is a shipwreck explorer believed to know the location of a fortune in gold coins—but he can't spend them in Ohio's Delaware County jail, and he's not getting out until he reveals where they are. The treasure hunter has been held on a contempt...
Hunt Is On for Fugitive Treasure-Hunter's Loot
Investors want bounty worth millions they say Tommy Thompson got on 'Ship of Gold'
- Deep-sea treasure hunter Tommy Thompson made headlines in 1988 when he found the legendary "Ship of Gold" (aka the USS Central America) shipwreck off the coast of South Carolina, which sank to the ocean floor with thousands of pounds of gold in 1857. Now he's in the news...
'One of Most Intelligent Fugitives Sought' Is Found
Treasure hunter Tommy Thompson found in a Boca Raton Hilton
- A treasure hunter locked in a legal battle over one of the greatest undersea hauls in American history has been arrested in Florida after more than two years on the lam, authorities said today. The US Marshals Service tracked Tommy Thompson to a Hilton hotel in West Boca Raton and...
1857 Shipwreck Gives Up More Gold
5 bars of gold recovered from the SS Central America in April
- The SS Central America's watery grave 160 miles off the South Carolina coast is indeed a golden one . Odyssey Marine Exploration last month explored the wreck of the ship, which went down in 1857 laden with so much gold that its sinking triggered a national financial panic, and the...
Popular on Newser
CDC Makes Significant Change to Its Mask Advice
An Elderly Man Died of COVID. His Obit Pulls No Punches
Surfers' Warning: Don't Use a Lock Box
'Con Queen of Hollywood' Suspect Is Arrested
House Makes Landmark Move on Marijuana
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.