Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Killer Pardoned by Governor
Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Jan 19, 2022 1:45 AM CST
Killer Pardoned by Governor Sentenced Again in Same Crime
Patrick Baker gets 42 years
The man pardoned by Kentucky's former governor for a 2014 murder is going back to prison for 42 years for the same murder. Patrick Baker, who was prosecuted the second time in federal court under the "dual sovereignty doctrine" since his first conviction was in state court,...
Feds Charge Convicted Killer
Pardoned by GOP Governor
Jun 1, 2021 7:54 PM CDT
Feds Charge Convicted Killer Pardoned by GOP Governor
Patrick Baker served just 2 years before he was pardoned by Kentucky governor
- When former Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin pardoned hundreds of people after his 2019 election loss, he said he was a "big believer in second chances." Authorities now have a second chance to put one of them back behind bars. Convicted killer Patrick Baker has been arrested on a...
His Sentence. He Just
Got Arrested Again
in case you missed it
Apr 12, 2020 10:31 AM CDT
Governor Commuted His Sentence. He Just Got Arrested Again
This time, on federal charges related to the same alleged crime
- A Kentucky man who was serving 15 years on charges of sodomy and the distribution of material depicting sexual performance of a minor had his sentence commuted last year by the state's then-governor—and now he's been arrested again on child pornography charges. Dayton Jones, 24, pleaded guilty...
Report: FBI Asking Questions
About Ex-Governor's Pardons
Dec 26, 2019 6:45 AM CST
Report: FBI Asking Questions About Ex-Governor's Pardons
Sources: FBI agent contacted Ky. Rep. Chris Harris on Matt Bevin's controversial pardons
- Members of the general public may not be the only ones wondering about the pardons Matt Bevin issued during his final days as Kentucky's governor. The more than 600 pardons and commutations—including for a convicted child rapist and for a man whose brother and sister-in-law held a fundraiser...
Why Matt Bevin Pardoned
Child Rapist? Girl's Hymen
Dec 20, 2019 8:07 AM CST
Why Matt Bevin Pardoned Child Rapist? Girl's Hymen
Former Kentucky governor says 'there was zero evidence'
- Former Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin is defending his decision to pardon a convicted child rapist shortly before leaving office on the basis that "there was zero evidence." And by that he means the victim's hymen was intact. In a WHAS radio interview, Bevin discussed the case of...
Dec 13, 2019 10:36 AM CST
Kentucky's Defeated Gov Takes Flak Over Pardons
Matt Bevin says he's 'a big believer in second chances'
- Patrick Brian Baker was sentenced to 19 years in prison for crimes stemming from a 2014 home invasion in which a man was fatally shot. Convicted of reckless homicide, robbery, impersonating a peace officer, and tampering with evidence, he has walked free after serving only two years. Baker—whose brother...
Sets Free Man
Serving Life for
Child Sex Abuse
Nov 26, 2019 7:33 AM CST
Outgoing Gov Sets Free Man Serving Life for Child Sex Abuse
Ky. Gov. Matt Bevin issued pardon for Paul Donel Hurt in case with questionable recantation
- An outgoing governor issued more than a dozen last-minute pardons late last week, but one in particular is raising eyebrows. Per the
, Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin put out a pardon and commutation order Friday for Paul Donel Hurt, who was serving a life sentence after being convicted in 2001...
Nov 14, 2019 2:36 PM CST
Bevin Concedes Contentious Kentucky Gubernatorial Race
As secretary of state says recanvass does not change vote totals
- Republican Gov. Matt Bevin conceded to Democratic archnemesis Andy Beshear on Thursday, putting an end to Kentucky’s bitterly fought governor’s race , the AP reports. Bevin, an ally of President Trump, made the dramatic announcement outside his statehouse office on the same day election officials across Kentucky double-checked vote...
Kentucky Legislature Could
Decide Election Result
Nov 7, 2019 4:05 AM CST
Kentucky Legislature Could Decide Election Result
Matt Bevin has officially requested a recanvass
- After a narrow election result in Kentucky Tuesday, Gov. Matt Bevin isn't going down without a fight. The Republican—who refused to concede after unofficial results showed him around 5,000 votes, or less than half a percentage point, behind Democrat Andy Beshear—confirmed Wednesday night that he will...
GOP Governor Refuses
to Concede in Kentucky
Nov 6, 2019 1:52 AM CST
GOP Governor Refuses to Concede in Kentucky
Democrat has lead of 5K votes
- Democrat Andy Beshear claimed victory over incumbent Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin with a lead of a few thousand votes Tuesday night, although the Republican refused to concede. With 100% of precincts reporting, Beshear, the state's attorney general, has a lead of around 5,000 votes, but Bevin said there...
4 States Hold Elections Tuesday
Nov 5, 2019 5:42 AM CST
4 States Hold Elections Tuesday
Races seen as a test run for 2020
- Gubernatorial and legislative elections in four states Tuesday will test voter enthusiasm and party organization amid impeachment proceedings against President Trump and a fevered Democratic presidential primary scramble. Results in Kentucky, Mississippi, New Jersey, and Virginia won't necessarily predict whether Trump will be reelected or which party will control...
Ky. Gov.: Closing Schools for
Cold Shows 'We're Getting Soft'
Jan 30, 2019 10:34 AM CST
Ky. Gov.: Closing Schools for Cold Shows 'We're Getting Soft'
State educators don't take too kindly to his remark
- It may not be as cold in Kentucky as it is in Minnesota , but things just got chillier for the former state's governor. A comment Matt Bevin made during a Tuesday radio interview is catching some flak. When 840 WHAS radio host Terry Meiners mentioned Bevin's kids would...
Watch the Tallest Building in
Kentucky's Capital Come Down
Mar 12, 2018 7:11 AM CDT
Watch the Tallest Building in Kentucky's Capital Come Down
The 28-story Capital Plaza Tower is no more
- The tallest building in Kentucky's capital city came crashing down in a controlled implosion on Sunday, reports the AP , delighting thousands of onlookers who quickly scurried away to avoid the dust cloud that billowed overhead. Sunday's demolition of the 28-story Capital Plaza Tower in Frankfort will make way...
Kentucky Gov: Electing Clinton
Might Lead to Bloodshed
Sep 13, 2016 5:17 PM CDT
Kentucky Gov: Electing Clinton Might Lead to Bloodshed
Matt Bevin walks his statements back amid uproar
- Kentucky's Republican governor said blood might be shed if Hillary Clinton is elected president. Speaking to the annual Values Voter Summit on Saturday in Washington, Matt Bevin said he was asked if the country could ever recover if Clinton were elected president. "I do think it would be...
GOP Scores Rare
Win in Kentucky
Nov 3, 2015 7:42 PM CST
GOP Scores Rare Win in Kentucky
Matt Bevin will be only 2nd Republican governor in four decades
- One of the bigger races on Tuesday night's ballot has gone Republicans' way: Matt Bevin will be Kentucky's next governor, reports the AP . Bevin defeated Democratic State Attorney General Jack Conway, who had been leading in the polls, and will become only the second Republican governor in four...
Tea Party Challenger
May 20, 2014 8:28 PM CDT
McConnell Trounces Tea Party Challenger
In Georgia, Michelle Nunn wins the Democratic primary for Senate
- Mitch McConnell of Kentucky dispatched his Tea Party challenger with ease tonight, and first-time candidate Michelle Nunn won the Democratic nomination for a Senate seat in George once held by her father, Sam Nunn. On a six-state primary night, Alison Lundergan Grimes easily captured the Democratic nomination to oppose McConnell...
Popular on Newser
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Trump on Spy Balloon Reports: 'FAKE DISINFORMATION'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.