Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
World's Most Expensive Fossil
Mar 24, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
World's Most Expensive Fossil Vanished.
Stan the T. rex has been hiding in UAE, getting ready to be displayed in Abu Dhabi museum
- When one of the largest and most complete
fossils ever found sold at a Christie's auction for $31.8 million in October 2020, experts worried the 39-foot-long specimen would be lost to the public, and to research. That prompted
to go looking for Stan, as...
Dog House Hit by Meteorite
Sells for More Than Meteorite
Feb 24, 2022 12:04 PM CST
Dog House Hit by Meteorite Sells for More Than Meteorite
Roky's former shelter goes for $44K
- A dog house that was hit by a meteorite in 2019 was sold for $44,000 at an auction—well below Christie's high estimate of $300,000, but more than enough to get Roky, a German Shepherd in Costa Rica, a new home. "My first question when I...
Thanks to Hole in Roof, This
Doghouse Could Sell for $300K
Feb 16, 2022 11:28 AM CST
Thanks to Hole in Roof, This Doghouse Could Sell for $300K
The hole was caused by a meteorite
- A ramshackle doghouse with a 7-inch hole in its roof doesn't sound like it would be worth as much as $300,000. But that hole changes things. The structure, formerly home to a Costa Rican German shepherd named Roky, was hit by a meteorite on April 23, 2019, at...
Space Debris Crashes Through
Roof, Onto Woman's Pillow
in case you missed it
Oct 16, 2021 10:47 AM CDT
Space Debris Crashes Through Roof, Onto Woman's Pillow
Canada woman says it's a nice reminder that life is precious
- A British Columbia woman was awakened the night of Oct. 4 by a crashing sound and the feeling of debris hitting her face. Ruth Hamilton looked up to see a hole in her ceiling and a rock on her pillow and called 911, not sure what had happened. The truth...
In UK, a Fireball in the Sky,
Sonic Boom, and a 'Shock' Find
Mar 9, 2021 7:23 AM CST
In UK, a Fireball in the Sky, Sonic Boom, and a 'Shock' Find
First meteorite in 30 years is found on a driveway
- Experts say a rare chunk of space rock, believed to contain the most primitive material in the solar system, is in such good shape that it's comparable to samples returned from space missions. But this one didn't come to Earth under careful conditions. Instead, it fell from the...
Somewhere Here Lies
an Ancient Space Relic
in case you missed it
Mar 7, 2021 7:40 AM CST
Somewhere Here Lies an Ancient Space Relic
It just dropped from space, and the search is on
- The search is on for an apricot-sized meteorite somewhere near Aiguillon, France. Cameras at an astronomy facility in Mauraux spotted the small space rock falling to Earth over southwest France last weekend, per the
. The meteorite landed at 10:43pm Saturday near Aiguillon, some 60 miles southeast of Bordeaux,...
Scientists Find Evidence of
1888 Death by Meteorite
Apr 29, 2020 3:09 PM CDT
Scientists Find Evidence of 1888 Death by Meteorite
It's the earliest evidence of such an occurrence
- Researchers in Turkey are on the trail of a killer from space. After searching state archives, the researchers believe they have found the earliest confirmed case of a person being killed by a meteorite, Space.com reports. The researchers say the luckless man was killed and another man was paralyzed...
Under Greenland's Ice,
a Surprise Find
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 18, 2018 12:10 PM CST
Under Greenland's Ice, a Surprise Find
Scientists think they've found one of the world's biggest impact craters
- Scientists think they've found one of the world's biggest impact craters, but confirmation is tricky given its location—under a glacier in Greenland. In the journal
, researchers make the case that a meteorite perhaps a mile wide slammed into Greenland somewhere between 12,000 and 3...
12-Pound Moon Chunk
Sells for No Small Amount
Oct 21, 2018 12:00 PM CDT
12-Pound Moon Chunk Sells for No Small Amount
Buyer agrees to fork out $612K
- A 12-pound chunk of the moon that fell to the Earth as a lunar meteorite has been sold at auction for more than $600,000, the AP reports. Boston-based RR Auction announced Friday the $612,500 winning bid for the meteorite, composed of six fragments that fit together like a...
Hits Space Station
Aug 30, 2018 9:22 AM CDT
Small Meteorite Hits Space Station
NASA and Moscow say the resulting 'minute' leak poses no danger to crew
- The crew aboard the International Space Station is dealing with a unique workplace hazard, but NASA says nobody is in danger. It seems a small meteor caused a "minute" pressure leak, reports AFP . The six-member crew is now repairing the leak, which was found not on the station itself...
Launches Bizarre Legal Fight
in case you missed it
Apr 16, 2016 11:15 AM CDT
4.5B-Year-Old Meteorite Launches Bizarre Legal Fight
"This isn't a typical theft"
- The question of who owns a particular chunk of a famed meteorite is heading to federal court with the filing of a lawsuit and countersuit, SF Gate reports. It all started billions of years ago with the Fukang meteorite slammed into China's Gobi Desert. Fast-forward to the year 2000:...
to Be First
Ever Killed by
Feb 8, 2016 9:51 AM CST
Man Believed to Be First Ever Killed by Meteorite
But some scientists remain skeptical
- There's the slim chance of being hit by lightning, and then there's the almost nonexistent chance of being hit by a meteorite. A man in India, however, was apparently killed by the latter, which would likely make him the first person recorded killed by an object that fell...
Popular on Newser
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
Inside the Push to Stop Iceland's 'Blood Mare' Practice
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
A 'Sweet Deal' for Ex-Cop in George Floyd Case
Shkreli Released From Prison, Makes Joke on Facebook
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.