brain-eating amoeba

13 Stories

Texas Mayor After Child's Death From Amoeba: 'We Screwed Up'

Parents of Bakari Williams sue Arlington for $1M

(Newser) - Update: The parents of a 3-year-old Texas boy who died of a brain-eating amoeba found in water samples from an Arlington splash pad he visited are suing the city. Tariq Williams and Kayla Mitchell are seeking at least $1 million in a wrongful death lawsuit alleging negligence at Don Misenhimer...

Brain-Eating Amoeba Infection Kills California Boy

It's only the 10th case in the state since 1971

(Newser) - A young boy in California has died after becoming infected with a brain-eating amoeba while swimming last month. David Pruitt, 7, contracted primary amoebic meningoencephalitis—PAM—from a lake in Tehama County in Northern California, the Los Angeles Times reports. The specific lake hasn't been named. The illness is...

'Brain-Eating Amoeba' Is Moving Northward
'Brain-Eating Amoeba'
Is on the Move
new study

'Brain-Eating Amoeba' Is on the Move

Climate change may be to blame

(Newser) - Climate change may have sparked a disturbing migration. A new study says infections tied to Naegleria fowleri—or "brain-eating amoeba"—are occurring farther north than they once did, LiveScience reports. The single-celled organism is typically found in warm bodies of freshwater, per Newsweek , making it historically more common...

Brain-Eating Amoeba Seen in State's Water Supply

Several areas near Houston are warned not to use tap water

(Newser) - The brain-eating amoeba that recently turned up in Florida has resurfaced in a Texas town's water supply, KHOU reports. On Friday, Texas environmental officials told residents in several areas near Houston—including Lake Jackson, Brazoria, Richwood, Freeport, Angleton, and Oyster Creek—to stop using tap water, even for bathing,...

Brain-Eating Amoeba Kills Visitor to Water Park

Risk of infection is highest during heat waves

(Newser) - A visitor to a water park in North Carolina has died after developing an infection caused by Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba. A public health alert has been issued. Eddie Gray, of Guilford County, had gone to Fantasy Lake Water Park in Cumberland County, near Fort Bragg, earlier this month....

Woman Uses Neti Pot, Ends Up With Brain-Eating Amoeba

She used filtered tap water

(Newser) - Dr. Charles Cobbs, a neurosurgeon in Seattle, thought the woman had a brain tumor. A CT scan had revealed a 1.5-centimeter lesion and the 69-year-old had a history of cancer. But when Cobbs operated, he discovered something much more disturbing. “It was just dead brain tissue,” he...

Texas Pool Closes After 'Brain- Eating Amoeba' Kills Visitor

Fabrizio Stabile of New Jersey was at a Waco water park prior to his death

(Newser) - A Texas water park has been closed for testing after a past visitor succumbed to the so-called "brain-eating amoeba." Per WFAA , the BSR Surf Resort in Waco chose to close down its wave pool while the CDC tests the water for the microbe, whose scientific name is Naegleria...

Brain-Eating Amoeba Kills Student After Swim

Kerry Stoutenburgh, 19, died Aug. 31

(Newser) - Health officials say a New York college student has died of a rare brain infection she probably contracted while swimming in a body of fresh water in Maryland, the AP reports. A spokesman for the Cecil County health department in northeastern Maryland says it was notified by New York state...

Teen Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba After Rafting Trip

Her raft overturned in North Carolina

(Newser) - An Ohio woman who went whitewater rafting in North Carolina has died of an infection after being exposed to an amoeba naturally present in warm fresh water, the AP reports. Lauren Seitz of Westerville, Ohio, visited North Carolina with her church group. The 18-year-old's only known underwater exposure was...

Brain-Eating Amoeba Kills Houston Boy

Three-time junior Olympian went swimming in a Texas state park

(Newser) - A 14-year-old Houston boy who contracted a brain-eating amoeba while swimming in a Texas state park with his cross-country running teammates died over the weekend, reports the Houston Chronicle . Michael John Riley Jr. died 17 days after he contracted primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) while swimming in a freshwater lake at...

La. Parish's Water Invaded Again by Brain-Eating Amoeba

Officials warn residents in St. Bernard Parish not to get water up their noses

(Newser) - Residents in Louisiana's St. Bernard Parish had to deal with a nasty brain-eating amoeba in their water supply last summer—and now the amoeba has made a return appearance. Water in the parish right outside New Orleans has tested positive for Naegleria fowleri, and officials say the state's...

Brain-Eating Amoeba Found Lurking in La. Water System

Officials tell residents water is OK to drink, but not to get it in their noses

(Newser) - Residents of a Louisiana parish have been warned that there's an unwelcome visitor in their water supply. Routine samples taken from St. John the Baptist Parish's Water District No. 1—which provides water to more than 12,500 people—tested positive for Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba that...

9-Year-Old Water Skier Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba

Kansas girl apparently contracted infection in freshwater

(Newser) - A 9-year-old girl's love of the water ended up sadly dooming her in what her family calls a "one in a billion" occurrence. Hally "Bug" Yust of Spring Hill, Kan., died after contracting an infection commonly known as brain-eating amoeba, reports the Kansas City Star . The infection...

13 Stories
We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.