Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Lobster Exports to China Have Fallen Off a Cliff
Maine's pain is Canada's gain
- US lobster exports to China have fallen off a cliff this year as new retaliatory tariffs shift the seafood business farther north. China, a huge and growing customer for lobster, placed heavy tariffs on US lobsters—and many other food products—in July 2018 amid rising trade hostilities between Beijing...
Guess What Someone's Accused of Stealing From Red Lobster
If you guessed a lobster, you'd be correct
- You may not make the news if you simply steal a lobster, but if you're accused of taking it from a place named after the crustacean, you could be guaranteed a place among the day's headlines. That's what happened in St. Petersburg, Fla., where a 42-year-old woman...
Eatery Probed Over Its Way of Calming Lobsters
Charlotte's Legendary Lobster Pound apparently used marijuana
- State health inspectors are investigating a Maine lobster restaurant that tried to mellow out lobsters with marijuana, the AP reports. The
Portland Press Herald
reports Charlotte's Legendary Lobster Pound in Southwest Harbor remains open but has stopped allowing customers to request meat from lobsters sedated with marijuana. Owner Charlotte...
PETA Seeks Roadside Memorial for Lobsters Killed in Crash
Maine officials are reviewing the request for a tombstone
- If you stopped eating crabs at PETA's request , you'll probably love the animal rights group's latest idea. PETA has asked Maine officials for permission to build a 5-foot tombstone in Brunswick to honor an estimated 4,500 lobsters killed when a truck overturned on a highway last...
Swiss Can't Stick Live Lobsters in Boiling Water Anymore
They have to be stunned before they're thrown in the pot
- Lobsters may not actually scream when they're placed live into pots of boiling water (they don't have vocal cords), but the jury's still out on whether they feel pain. Switzerland isn't taking chances, issuing a government decree that "the practice of plunging live lobsters into...
Lobsters Leaving Parts of New England
They're heading north as water temperatures rise
- The lobster population has crashed to the lowest levels on record in southern New England while climbing to heights never before seen in the cold waters off Maine and other northern reaches—a geographic shift that scientists attribute in large part to the warming of the ocean. In 2013, the...
Cruise-Ship Diners: Tossing Lobsters Overboard?
Experts: It could be effort to 'save' the crustaceans
- Sensitive cruise-ship diners may be ordering lobster and having it tossed overboard in a "misguided effort of animal rights activism," Fox News reports. If true, experts say, it would explain why fishermen are finding Canadian lobsters off the coast of Northern England—some with elastic bands still around...
2 Rare Albino Lobsters Caught in Maine
While a fisherman in Florida reels in a giant shrimp
- More strange finds from the sea : Two lobstermen in Maine caught a pair of rare albino lobsters within a week, reports the
Portland Press Herald
. Bret Philbrick caught his off of Owls Head on Thursday and Joe Bates caught one off the Rockland breakwater days earlier. Albino lobsters are believed...
Popular on Newser
Trump Did Not Like What He Saw on 60 Minutes
Joe Biden Injures Himself
Her Son Was Killed by Cops. She Was Shot at His Funeral
10 Random Assaults in 20 Nights Has City on Edge
An Ancient Light Could Undermine Physics
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.