Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
life in prison
Stories 1 - 20 |
Judge: Woman Who Arranged
Husband's Killing Is 'Pure Evil'
Jun 23, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Judge: Woman Who Arranged Husband's Killing Is 'Pure Evil'
Texas' Jennifer Faith gets life in prison for murder for hire
- A Texas woman who convinced an ex-lover to kill her husband with false tales of sexual abuse, then gave the man gifts and money using funds donated to a GoFundMe account she set up for herself as a victim, has been sentenced to life in prison. On Oct. 9, 2020,...
Man Put in Cell With Sister's
Rapist Guilty of Killing Him
Aug 8, 2021 2:42 PM CDT
Man Put in Cell With Sister's Rapist Guilty of Killing Him
Department of Corrections denied request for new cellmate
- Shane Goldsby asked for a new cellmate. Goldsby, 25, was in prison for a stabbing, stealing a police car, and injuring a state trooper in Washington state. His cellmate, Robert Munger, 70, was in for child rape, child molestation, and possession of child pornography. One of Munger’s victims was...
43 Years After
He Was Jailed,
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 15, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
43 Years After He Was Jailed, Prosecutors Admit 'Error'
They say Kevin Strickland, who had an alibi, is innocent of 1978 murders
- Kevin Strickland has spent two-thirds of his life—43 years—behind bars for a triple murder. The problem is he wasn't even at the scene, according to prosecutors in Kansas City. "This is a profound error we must correct now," Jackson County prosecutor Jean Peters Baker said...
After 'Most Extreme Anti-Mask
Incident' in Anaheim, 3 Arrests
Dec 22, 2020 7:54 AM CST
After 'Most Extreme Anti-Mask Incident' in Anaheim, 3 Arrests
2 men face life in prison after allegedly shooting up strip club after being asked to wear face coverings
- Authorities tell the
a late October shooting at a strip club in Anaheim, Calif., was "the most extreme anti-mask incident" in the city to date. Now, three suspects have been arrested, and two of them face life in prison if convicted. Prosecutors say that on Halloween night,...
A Break for Man Serving Life
Over Stolen Hedge Clippers
Aug 14, 2020 11:08 AM CDT
A Break for Man Serving Life Over Stolen Hedge Clippers
Fair Wayne Bryant will get a shot at parole in October
- Fair Wayne Bryant has a crack at freedom. The Black man serving life in prison in Louisiana over the theft of a pair of hedge clippers has been granted a new parole hearing after the state Supreme Court declined to review his case. Bryant, 62, was convicted of burglary after...
Jan 6, 2020 10:20 AM CST
'Britain's Most Prolific Rapist' Is Sentenced
Reynhard Sinaga gets life sentence; authorities says he may have had 200 victims
- A mild-mannered student who prosecutors say led a double life as "Britain's most prolific rapist" has just earned another life sentence. Reynhard Sinaga, 36, has so far been convicted of 136 rapes of men in multiple trials, reports the
. Based on evidence from Sinaga's phone, however,...
She Sentenced Him to Life.
Dec 12, 2019 12:53 PM CST
She Sentenced Him to Life. He Retaliated
Travis Burroughs hurled metal water pitcher, struck judge in the head
- A Baltimore City Circuit Court judge had just sentenced a man to life in prison when he threw a metal water pitcher at her head, police say. Judge Wanda Heard, struck in the forehead around 10:40am Wednesday, immediately ordered a recess as she sought medical treatment, reports the
8 Hours After
'We Got Her!'
Nov 19, 2019 9:20 AM CST
8 Hours After Girl Snatched From Street: 'We Got Her!'
Michael Webb, 51, will serve life in prison for kidnapping
- Police officers storm a Texas hotel room with guns drawn before the moment of relief comes. "We got her! We got her!" an officer says as an 8-year-old kidnapping victim emerges from a laundry basket where she'd been told to keep quiet on threat of violence against...
He Tried 'to Kill as Many People
as Possible.' Now, His Fate
Oct 14, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
He Tried 'to Kill as Many People as Possible.' Now, His Fate
Salih Khater gets life in prison after plowing his car into crowd outside UK Parliament, injuring 3
- A man who deliberately drove his car into several people outside Britain's Parliament in a bid "to kill as many people as possible" was sentenced Monday to life imprisonment for attempted murder. During a hearing at London's Central Criminal Court, Judge Maura McGowan said Salih Khater must...
of Pregnant Wife's
Aug 7, 2019 12:25 PM CDT
Ex-Coach Guilty of Pregnant Wife's 1999 Murder—Again
David Temple faces life in prison in Texas
- For a second time, a former Texas high school football coach has been found guilty of his pregnant wife's 1999 murder. David Temple, who could be sentenced as soon as Wednesday, faces life in prison for shooting Belinda Temple in the back of the head during a staged burglary...
Parents Learn Painful Detail
as Daughter's Killer Sentenced
Jul 17, 2019 12:02 PM CDT
Parents Learn Painful Detail as Daughter's Killer Sentenced
Shaun Gallon gets 3 life sentences in 2004 Jenner murders
- "I snapped." With that, a California man admitted to the murders of an engaged couple shot in the head at close range as they slept on a beach in Jenner 15 years ago. The 2004 murders stumped law enforcement for more than a decade before a now-40-year-old survivalist...
Man Life Over
May 23, 2019 12:50 PM CDT
Judge Ditches Guidelines, Gives Man Life Over 1993 Killing
He cites toll on son, who witnessed the crime as a toddler
- A quarter-century after a toddler told police his father hurt his mother, that man has been locked up. Michael Haim, 52, was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison for the 1993 murder of his 23-year-old wife, Bonnie. Haim lived for years off Bonnie's life insurance policy before his son...
His Wife's Body Was Found Tied
to Anchor. He Claimed Suicide
Dec 12, 2018 10:10 AM CST
His Wife's Body Was Found Tied to Anchor. He Claimed Suicide
It's life in prison for Christopher Leclair
- A Pennsylvania man who hoped to shack up with his girlfriend after killing his wife of 25 years will instead be confined to a prison bed for life. Christopher Leclair maintained his innocence even as a judge sentenced him to life in prison without parole on Tuesday, describing the June...
He Raped Her at Gunpoint.
6 Years Later, Revenge
Sep 18, 2018 1:11 PM CDT
He Raped Her at Gunpoint. 6 Years Later, Revenge
Spotted by victim at subway, Antonio White gets life in prison
- A woman raped in 2007 had the jarring experience of spotting her rapist six years later in an Atlanta subway station, reports the
Atlanta Journal Constitution
. At that point, she didn't think much about what to do next. "She was overcome by the moment and began to yell...
'Particularly Heavy Guilt' Found,
Jul 11, 2018 9:25 AM CDT
'Particularly Heavy Guilt' Found, Neo-Nazi Sentenced
Beate Zschaepe gets life in prison in Germany for her part in 10 racially motivated murders
- A member of a neo-Nazi group in Germany has been sentenced to life in prison for her role in 10 racially motivated murders, though her lawyer claims she "was demonstrably present at no crime scene and never fired a weapon or detonated a bomb." Beate Zschaepe, 43, of...
Billionaire Guru Gets Life
in Prison for Teen's Rape
Apr 25, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
Billionaire Guru Gets Life in Prison for Teen's Rape
Asaram Bapu expected to appeal amid fears of violence
- An Indian city is bracing for violence after a spiritual guru with millions of followers was sentenced to life in prison for rape on Wednesday. Asaram Bapu, who claims to teach meditation and yoga at 400 ashrams in 19 countries, was sentenced in Jodhpur, Rajasthan state, for the 2013 rape...
Susan Smith Marks Half a Life
in Prison After Drowning Sons
in case you missed it
Sep 30, 2017 1:13 PM CDT
Susan Smith Marks Half a Life in Prison After Drowning Sons
Her time there has been rife with disciplinary infractions
- Susan Smith turned 46 on Tuesday. Exactly half a lifetime ago, she drowned her two young children—ages 3 and 1—in a lake, allegedly because she was dating a man who didn't want kids. Smith was sentenced to life in prison. Now
—citing prison records—reports...
'Dread Pirate Roberts'
Will Spend Rest of
His Days in Prison
Jun 1, 2017 7:42 AM CDT
'Dread Pirate Roberts' Will Spend Rest of His Days in Prison
Silk Road boss Ross Ulbricht loses appeal of his life sentence
- A three-judge panel says it "might not have imposed" a life sentence on Ross Ulbricht, who ran a drug-peddling website on the dark web, but that's no reason to overturn it. The appellate court on Wednesday found Ulbricht's sentence of life in prison without parole for drug...
UK's 'Most Evil' Serial Killer
Is Fighting for Right to Die
in case you missed it
Feb 25, 2017 11:26 AM CST
UK's 'Most Evil' Serial Killer Is Fighting for Right to Die
Moors murderer Ian Brady, 79, wants to be moved from hospital to prison
- In the mid-'60s, Ian Brady and Myra Hindley sexually tortured and murdered five children ages 10 to 16 in what came to be known as the Moors Murders in England. Hindley died behind bars at age 60 in 2002, and now the 79-year-old Brady wants to do the same....
Feb 21, 2017 9:12 AM CST
'Dr. Death' Sentenced in Texas
Christopher Duntsch to serve life after botched surgeries
- Mary Efurd came out of back surgery in 2012 unable to use her legs and missing a third of her blood. Her Texas neurosurgeon has now been sentenced to life in prison as a result, reports the
Dallas Morning News .
A jury found Christopher Duntsch, 45, guilty of intentionally causing...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Supreme Court Puts a Big Case on Next Term's Docket
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
Mom of Hospital Escapee: 'Terrified for the Community'
Radio Station Abruptly Starts Playing Same Song on a Loop
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.