Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After 2 Years Exiled,
Spain's Former King Returning
May 19, 2022 12:20 AM CDT
After 2 Years Exiled, Spain's Former King Returning
Juan Carlos is coming to town for a weekend visit
- With the fraud cases against him dropped , Spain's former king Juan Carlos is coming back to the country this week. He's been in exile in the United Arab Emirates for almost two years, ever since he was linked to alleged corruption. The three investigations that followed have all...
31-Year-Old Woman Sets
Record for COVID Reinfection
Apr 21, 2022 12:51 PM CDT
31-Year-Old Woman Sets Record for COVID Reinfection
Health-care worker in Spain picked up 2 strains in 20 days
- A Spanish health-care worker can now lay claim to a rather unwelcome record as the person fastest to be reinfected with COVID-19. The 31-year-old woman contracted the virus twice within 20 days, according to researchers, who will present their findings this weekend at the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology &...
Was Just the Start of
What Police Seized
Apr 11, 2022 1:05 AM CDT
Taxidermy Elephant Was Just the Start of What Police Seized
'Private museum' includes over 400 specimens of protected, endangered species
- After a months-long investigation, agents with Spain’s Civil Guard have seized an eye-popping collection of taxidermy animals. The
reports the collection was uncovered Wednesday in a 500,000-square-foot warehouse and contains some 1,090 specimens, at least 400 of which are protected or endangered under international law. The...
Spain Drops Investigation
of Former King's Finances
Mar 2, 2022 3:37 PM CST
Spain Drops Investigation of Former King's Finances
Juan Carlos I left Spain amid scandal in 2020
: Spain's former king is off the hook in an alleged fraud case. Prosecutors say investigations of 84-year-old Juan Carlos, who moved to the United Arab Emirates amid a financial scandal in 2020, have been dropped due to a lack of evidence, Reuters reports. They say they couldn't...
Ukrainian Takes Out War Rage
on Russian Boss's Yacht
Feb 28, 2022 8:06 AM CST
Ukrainian Takes Out War Rage on Russian Boss's Yacht
Sailor angry at Russia's invasion allegedly tried to sink oligarch's $7.8M vessel in Majorca
- People are coping with the Russian invasion of Ukraine in different ways, but for one Ukrainian sailor on the Spanish island of Majorca, his coping mechanism took a particularly vengeful turn: He tried to sink a Russian oligarch's $7.8 million superyacht, reports the BBC . The nearly 160-foot-long Lady...
'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks Is
Caked in Gold and Controversy
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 19, 2022 4:30 PM CST
'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks Is Caked in Gold and Controversy
Colombia moves toward excavation of the San Jose despite disputed claim of ownership
- Colombia's government is taking steps to recover the so-called "holy grail" of Spanish colonial shipwrecks—thought to hold up to $20 billion worth of gold, silver, and precious stones—from its waters and at the same time taking heat from others with claims to the centuries-old treasure. As...
Spain's Top Court Says
Resort Must Be Torn Down
Feb 15, 2022 6:38 PM CST
Spain's Top Court Says Resort Must Be Torn Down
Environmentalists said luxury development was built on protected land
- A big win for environmentalists in Spain after a 14-year legal battle: The country's top court has ordered the demolition of a luxury resort built in a protected area. The Spanish Supreme Court overturned a 2020 ruling from a regional court and said all the buildings at the Marina...
'Ghost' Village Resurfaces
Amid Drought in Spain
Feb 14, 2022 9:35 AM CST
'Ghost' Village Resurfaces Amid Drought in Spain
Aceredo was deliberately flooded 30 years ago, but dry weather is exposing it once again
- A drought in Spain has created an inadvertent tourist attraction. People are visiting the site of a former village—Aceredo—that was deliberately flooded 30 years ago to create a reservoir, reports the AP . However, that reservoir is now extremely low, allowing people to walk among formerly submerged houses in...
Stash of Ancient
Jan 10, 2022 11:10 AM CST
Badger Unearths Stash of Ancient Roman Coins
Archaeologists in Spain are grateful
- Archaeologists in northern Spain have discovered the largest stash of ancient Roman coins ever found in the region. And they're giving all the credit to a hungry badger, reports the
. Researchers found more than 200 coins, dating back to between the third and fifth century AD, in the...
Cops Nab Fugitive Mafia Boss
Thanks to Google Street View
Jan 6, 2022 9:39 AM CST
Cops Nab Fugitive Mafia Boss Thanks to Google Street View
Convicted killer Gioacchino Gammino had fled Italy for Spain
- An Italian mafia boss and convicted murderer who escaped from prison in Rome 20 years ago has been arrested in Spain—thanks in part to a sighting on Google Street View. Authorities say they already believed 61-year-old Gioacchino Gammino to be hiding in Spain, though the sighting of him and...
Child Dies in
Tragedy in Spain
Jan 5, 2022 2:30 PM CST
Child Dies in Bounce House Tragedy in Spain
8 other children were injured
- Another bounce house tragedy, this one in Spain, ended up claiming the life of a young girl. ABC News reports that on Tuesday night a gust of wind sent a bouncy castle that had been set up at a fairground in Mislata, near Valencia, airborne and then flipped it over....
Townspeople Help Hunt
Jan 2, 2022 7:15 AM CST
Townspeople Help Hunt 'Galician Rambo'
Murderer Alfredo Sánchez Chacón has been living in the woods
- A notorious killer whose ability to slip out of prison and off the grid has earned him the moniker 'Galician Rambo' is once again missing, but residents of a little Spanish town not far from where he's serving time intend to change that. Per the
, 63-year-old Alfredo...
Spain Just Gave
Its People $2.7B
Dec 22, 2021 7:48 AM CST
Spain Just Gave Its People $2.7B
The country's annual Christmas lottery has been occurring since 1812
- Spaniards looking for a respite from the pandemic’s gloom and doom turned their attention Wednesday to a rite that for more than two centuries has marked the beginning of the festive period: the country’s bumper Christmas lottery, known as "El Gordo," or "The Fat One....
Bishop Leaves Priesthood To
Marry Satanic Erotica Author
Dec 12, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Bishop Leaves Priesthood To Marry Satanic Erotica Author
Xavier Novell i Gomà was once Spain's youngest bishop
- He was once the youngest bishop in all of Spain, but Xavier Novell i Gomà, 52, has given it all up in order to marry a woman. Back in September, the BBC reported that Novell had resigned from the Roman Catholic church for personal reasons that Spanish media reported revolved...
Man Gored to
Death at Bull Run
Nov 1, 2021 7:16 AM CDT
Man Gored to Death at Bull Run
Other participants tried to lure the animal away at Onda festival in Spain, but it kept attacking
- The bull runs are back in Spain—and so are the gorings, with a fatal one happening over the weekend. The BBC reports a 55-year-old man was taking part in the controversial activity at a festival in Onda when he was attacked by one of the bulls, ending up with...
Oct 28, 2021 12:44 PM CDT
After Split, Woman Wins Joint Custody of Dog
Attorney hails 'pioneering' ruling in Spain
- An unmarried couple in Spain who called it quits after 20 months will remain in each other's lives because of a judge's ruling about their dog. The judge granted joint custody of Panda, reports the BBC . At some point in their relationship, the man and woman adopted Panda...
of La Palma Dogs
Is a Head-Scratcher
Oct 23, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Mystery Rescue of La Palma Dogs Is a Head-Scratcher
'The dogs are fine,' said sign left behind by 'A Team,' ahead of drone meant to save them
- A drone operation was set to rescue several dogs from the Spanish island of La Palma, where they've been stranded in a yard surrounded by lava after a volcano eruption that's been going on for more than a month. There'd even been a test run that went...
Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Oct 20, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
On Lava-Covered Island, a Last-Ditch Rescue
Drone will swoop in to try to save several dogs trapped in yard on La Palma
- It's a precarious mission in Spain's Canary Islands, one that will require "calm and concentration," but the drone is ready. So says Aerocamaras, the company that will try to rescue several dogs trapped in a yard by lava on La Palma, where a volcano eruption that...
Critics Slam Men
Who Won $1.2M
Oct 18, 2021 7:58 AM CDT
Critics Slam Men Who Won $1.2M Literary Prize: 'Scammers'
'Carmen Mola,' believed to have been a woman, is actually trio of middle-aged Spanish screenwriters
, a gruesome historical thriller about a serial killer in the 1830s, has won one of Spain's top literary prizes, and its author, Carmen Mola—a popular writer known for the "strong female protagonists" in her crime novels, per the
—was supposed to show...
Spain's Right Isn't Pleased
With Biden's Take on Columbus
Oct 12, 2021 1:46 PM CDT
Spain's Right Isn't Pleased With Biden's Take on Columbus
They're very much into it
- If you thought the controversy over Columbus Day was restricted to US shores, you'd be wrong. What became a US federal holiday in 1937 is celebrated in grand fashion in Spain a day later, on Oct. 12. There, it's more like a Fourth of July or Bastille Day,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Archbishop to Pelosi: No More Communion for You
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
Tech Bigwig Was on Call on How to Contest Trump's Loss
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
First, 'Loud Noises on Their Lanai.' Then, a Surprise Visitor
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.