Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
in case you missed it
Nov 14, 2021 12:55 PM CST
An Unexpected New COVID Concern: Deer
Lots of deer appear to be infected, and they could provide a 'reservoir' for virus to mutate
- A new study is throwing a COVID curveball: It seems that a surprisingly high number of white-tailed deer have the infection. And while the deer don't seem to get sick, they could function as a "reservoir" in which the virus can lurk, mutate, and perhaps jump back to...
Denmark Will Exhume
Millions of Dead Mink
Dec 21, 2020 6:23 AM CST
Denmark Will Exhume Millions of Dead Mink
It'll wait until May, though
- Denmark has confirmed it will indeed tackle the grim job of digging up millions of mink who were culled due to the coronavirus and buried in mass graves. Two of those graves, it turns out, are located near a drinking water source and swimming lake , respectively, leading to concerns that...
For First Time,
a Wild Animal
Found to Have
Dec 15, 2020 12:12 AM CST
For First Time, a Wild Animal Found to Have Coronavirus
Wild mink in Utah found to be infected
- Minks in Denmark have been a big problem during the pandemic, and 15,000 farmed minks have been killed by the coronavirus in the US so far. Now, the Department of Agriculture announced Monday that a wild mink in Utah has been found to have the coronavirus—the first confirmed...
Denmark Faces Calls to
Dig Up Just-Buried Minks
Nov 28, 2020 9:50 AM CST
Denmark Faces Calls to Dig Up Just-Buried Minks
Millions were culled in coronavirus measure
- Just weeks after starting to cull millions of minks to combat the spread of the coronavirus, Denmark's government is under pressure to exhume them. One mass burial site is near a swimming lake, the other near a source of drinking water, the BBC reports. In addition, gases have caused...
'Zombie' COVID-Infected Mink
Re-Emerging From Graves
Nov 26, 2020 3:49 AM CST
'Zombie' COVID-Infected Mink Re-Emerging From Graves
Sounds like something out of a horror story, but this is real life in Denmark
- Denmark is culling millions of minks to stop a dangerous mutated form of the coronavirus from spreading to humans , but some of those minks don't seem to want to stay in the ground. As
reports, minks infected with the mutated COVID-19 strain are re-emerging after being buried...
Denmark Realizes No Law
Allows Order to Cull Minks
Nov 10, 2020 1:17 PM CST
Denmark Realizes No Law Allows Order to Cull Minks
Government urges farmers to go ahead anyway to protect humans from coronavirus
- Now that it's begun to cull as many as 17 million minks, Denmark's government has conceded there's nothing in the law that permits the order. The decision was made after a mutated form of the coronavirus jumped to humans and fears arose that the effectiveness of vaccines...
Denmark Locks Down
After Virus Mutates in Mink
Nov 6, 2020 7:26 AM CST
Denmark Locks Down After Virus Mutates in Mink
'We must knock down completely this virus variant'
- Denmark has strengthened a lockdown in the north of the country, where a mutated version of the coronavirus has spread from minks to humans . Starting Friday, bars, restaurants, and public transport will be shut down in seven North Jutland regions with a combined population of around 280,000, the BBC...
Denmark: COVID Mutation Has
Spread From Minks to Humans
Nov 5, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Denmark: COVID Mutation Has Spread From Minks to Humans
Country plans to cull 15M animals
- Denmark says it plans to kill all farmed mink in the country, at least 15 million animals, rather than take any chances with a mutated version of the coronavirus. Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen warned Wednesday that according to a government report, a version of the virus spreading from minks to...
to Wipe Out
One Nation's Huge
Oct 12, 2020 11:23 AM CDT
COVID Threatens to Wipe Out One Nation's Huge Mink Industry
Denmark will cull at least 2.5M animals because of a coronavirus outbreak on farms
- Danish veterinarians and farmers have begun culling at least 2.5 million minks in Denmark after the coronavirus showed up in at least 63 farms. The Danish Veterinary and Food Administration is handling the culling of the infected animals, while breeders who have noninfected minks on a farm within 5...
Mink May Have Passed
Infection to Humans
May 27, 2020 5:05 PM CDT
Mink May Have Passed Infection to Humans
'This would be the first known cases of animal-to-human transmission'
- Officials say they have detected the first likely case of the coronavirus jumping from an animal to a human—but so far the risk is limited to mink farms in Holland. The World Health Organization tells AFP that three workers infected on mink farms "would be the first known...
Animal Rights 'Nitwits'
Raid Minnesota Fur Farm
Jul 19, 2017 1:55 AM CDT
Animal Rights 'Nitwits' Raid Minnesota Fur Farm
40K mink were set free
- An estimated 40,000 mink destined to become coats were freed from a central Minnesota fur farm in what the local sheriff calls an act of "domestic terrorism." Stearns County Sheriff Don Gudmundson says he believes animal rights "nitwits" freed the animals but didn't steal any...
Jul 25, 2015 10:01 AM CDT
2 Activists Accused of Freeing 5K Mink Caught
Authorities say couple went on cross-country road trip to farms
- Two animal rights activists who authorities say went on an epic vigilante road trip across the US have been arrested and face jail time. Joseph Buddenberg, 31, and Nicole Kissane, 28, both of Oakland, are accused of freeing about 5,000 mink from various farms along with a slew of...
Popular on Newser
Things Got Ugly After Dallas' Wild Playoff Loss
Researchers May Have Found Anne Frank's Betrayer
'Inexcusable' Assignment at Middle School Spurs Outrage
Friction Is Heating Up Between Trump, DeSantis
Walmart Is Getting Into an Unlikely New Sector
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.