Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
CDC Reports Breakthrough
on Vaping Illnesses
Nov 8, 2019 2:50 PM CST
CDC Reports Breakthrough on Vaping Illnesses
Vitamin E oil was the only substance found in lungs of 29 patients tested
- "For the first time, we have detected a potential toxin of concern," an official with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said of new evidence in the search for the cause of lung problems in those who vape. Researchers took fluid samples from the lungs of 29...
After New Study,
No More Mint
Nov 7, 2019 5:30 PM CST
After New Study, No More Mint
Juul will sell only menthol and tobacco flavors
- Juul Labs said Thursday it will halt US sales of its best-selling, mint-flavored electronic cigarettes as it struggles to survive a nationwide backlash against vaping. The voluntary step comes days after new government research showed that Juul is the top brand among high schoolers who use e-cigarettes and that many...
Ex-Juul Official Makes
Huge Claim in Lawsuit
Oct 30, 2019 7:00 PM CDT
Ex-Juul Official Makes Huge Claim in Lawsuit
Siddharth Breja says the company sold a million contaminated nicotine pods
- Looks like Juul's lawyers won't be sleeping much tonight. A former executive at the e-cigarette company says Juul sold a million contaminated nicotine pods and fired him for complaining about it, BuzzFeed reports. Siddharth Breja, ex-senior vice president for global finance, made the allegations in a Tuesday lawsuit...
Bending to Pressure,
Juul Cuts 4 Products
Oct 17, 2019 3:47 PM CDT
Bending to Pressure, Juul Cuts 4 Products
The e-cigarette brand responds to people's 'lack of trust' in the industry
- Juul Labs stopped selling fruit and dessert flavors Thursday, acknowledging the public's "lack of trust" in the vaping industry, the AP reports. The voluntary step is the company's latest attempt to weather a growing political backlash blaming its flavored-nicotine products for hooking a generation of teenagers on...
Doctors: Lungs Have Been
'Torched' in Vaping Patients
Oct 3, 2019 5:35 AM CDT
Doctors: Lungs Have Been 'Torched' in Vaping Patients
Mayo Clinic experts say damage resembles that seen after chemical weapon attacks
- Doctors still aren't sure exactly what has caused a spate of vaping-related deaths and illnesses around the country—but they know it is doing horrific damage to people's lungs. Doctors at the Mayo Clinic say tests of lung tissue from 17 patients show a pattern of injury that...
With 2 More Vaping-Related
Deaths, US Toll Is at 16
Oct 1, 2019 6:31 PM CDT
With 2 More Vaping-Related Deaths, US Toll Is at 16
After Virginia, NJ confirm latest deaths
- Two more states on Tuesday confirmed deaths related to vaping, bringing the total number of such deaths in the United States to 16. The Virginia and New Jersey deaths were both adults, and were the first deaths in each state from lung injuries associated with vaping. The CDC said last...
Sep 28, 2019 8:15 AM CDT
Another State Joins Push Against Flavored Vape Products
Washington Gov. Jay Inslee approves 4-month ban: 'This executive order will save lives'
- Washington is joining several other states in banning the sale of flavored vaping products amid concern over the mysterious lung illness that has sickened hundreds of people and killed about a dozen across the country. Gov. Jay Inslee signed an executive order Friday asking the state Board of Health to...
Scary New Find
Made in Bootleg Vapes
Sep 27, 2019 3:25 PM CDT
Scary New Find Made in Bootleg Vapes
NBC test sample turns up hydrogen cyanide
- Not what anyone needs to be smoking: cyanide. As America's vaping crisis continues, 10 unregulated vaping cartridges have tested positive for pesticides—including a fungicide that can turn into hydrogen cyanide if burned, NBC News reports. "You certainly don't want to be smoking cyanide," says Antonio...
FDA Takes Heat
Death Toll Rises
Sep 26, 2019 7:20 AM CDT
FDA Takes Heat as Vaping-Tied Death Toll Rises
11 people nationwide are said to have died from vaping-related illnesses so far
- The health departments of two new states put up sobering notices this week. Both Florida and Georgia announced their first vaping-related fatalities, bringing the recorded national death toll to 11, CNN reports. There's scant info on the Florida death, but the death in Georgia—a state that so far...
Juul Honcho Is
Out as Ads Halt
Sep 25, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Juul Honcho Is Out as Ads Halt
Company says it won't lobby against proposed ban on some e-cigarettes
- E-cigarette maker Juul has a new face at the helm with the vaping industry falling under greater scrutiny. The company announced Wednesday that CEO Kevin Burns will be replaced by KC Crosthwaite, who currently serves as senior vice president for chief strategy and growth at tobacco giant Altria, reports the...
This State Just Made Harshest
Anti-Vaping Move Yet
Sep 25, 2019 8:05 AM CDT
This State Just Made Harshest Anti-Vaping Move Yet
Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker bans sale of all vaping products for 4 months
- One state just got extra-tough on vaping. Gov. Charlie Baker has put a complete kibosh on the sale (either online or at brick-and-mortar stores) of all nicotine and marijuana vaping products throughout Massachusetts, from now until Jan. 25,
reports. The ban, which was given the green light by...
A Massive Market
Sep 24, 2019 12:07 AM CDT
A Massive Market Plans Crackdown on Vaping
New controls will be brought in China next month
- China plans to join governments that are imposing controls on tobacco liquid and additives for e-cigarettes amid rising concern about deaths and illnesses blamed on vaping, a state news agency said Tuesday. Rules due out as early as next month also will cover e-cigarette devices and packaging, the China News...
Sep 20, 2019 2:11 PM CDT
Walmart Will Stop Selling E-Cigarettes
Retailer's stores, including Sam's Club, won't replace current inventory
- Citing the uncertainty surrounding the products' future, including possible regulatory actions, Walmart said it will stop selling e-cigarettes. An internal memo said the retailer will sell the stock on hand in its Walmart and Sam's Club stores in the US. Then, CNBC reports the memo says, "We plan...
Vaping Illnesses Rise Sharply
Again as FDA Joins Probe
Sep 19, 2019 1:43 PM CDT
Vaping Illnesses Rise Sharply Again as FDA Joins Probe
530 lung illnesses reported nationwide, up from 380 last week
- The new vaping number: 530. That's how many people nationwide have been diagnosed with lung illnesses linked to e-cigs, up from 380 last week, reports the AP . Health officials still can't pinpoint a cause—or perhaps multiple causes—but the FDA has now begun an investigation of its...
High School Student Has Illness
Tied to Vaping, Canada's First
Sep 18, 2019 4:20 PM CDT
High School Student Has Illness Tied to Vaping, Canada's First
Health official had warned it was a matter of time
- A high school student in Canada has been diagnosed with a severe respiratory illness related to vaping, officials said Wednesday, in what's believed to be the first case in the country. Dr. Christopher Mackie of the Middlesex-London Health Unit in London, Ontario, said the youth was on life support...
First State Enacts Ban
on Sale of Flavored E-Cigs
Sep 17, 2019 6:15 PM CDT
First State Enacts Ban on Sale of Flavored E-Cigs
New York panel approves emergency regulation
- New York became the first state to ban the sale of flavored e-cigarettes Tuesday, a move that comes as federal health officials investigate a mysterious surge of severe breathing illnesses linked to vaping. The vote by the state Public Health and Health Planning Council means the prohibition, which covers flavored...
A 7th Death
Tied to Vaping,
as One State
Makes a Big Move
Sep 17, 2019 8:20 AM CDT
A 7th Death Tied to Vaping, as One State Makes a Big Move
California, site of most recent fatality, is launching a $20M anti-vaping ad campaign
- As officials try to figure out what's causing a spate of vaping illnesses, some proving fatal , news of another death has come in. CNN reports that the most recent e-cigarette fatality, the nation's seventh so far, is a 40-year-old from California, the second death in that state. A...
Big Vaping Bust May Explain
Why People Are Getting Sick
Sep 16, 2019 1:33 AM CDT
Big Vaping Bust May Explain Why People Are Getting Sick
Wisconsin police arrest Tyler Huffhines and Jacob Huffhines for alleged vaping operation
- A stunning Wisconsin drug bust may help explain why vapers have been getting sick and dying , the
New York Times
reports. Police recently burst into a condo in a quiet subdivision and found an operation for filling vaping cartridges with THC-laced liquid. The raid netted 31,200 filled cartridges, 98,...
Moves to Ban
Sep 15, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
Another State Moves to Ban Flavored E-Cigs
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo sharply criticized the flavors
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is pushing to enact a statewide ban on the sale of flavored e-cigarettes amid growing health concerns connected to vaping, especially among young people, the AP reports. The Democrat announced Sunday that the state health commissioner would be making a recommendation this week to the...
FDA's Move on E-Cigarettes
Is One It Had Resisted
Sep 11, 2019 12:58 PM CDT
FDA's Move on E-Cigarettes Is One It Had Resisted
Trump administration looking to ban flavored e-cigarettes
- President Trump says his administration will move to ban flavored e-cigarettes amid an outbreak of breathing problems tied to vaping. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar says the FDA will develop guidelines to remove all e-cigarette flavors from the market. CNBC quotes Azar as saying it will be a...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Roberts: The Court Didn't Need to Do This
Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade
In His Roe Opinion, Thomas Flags Same-Sex Marriage
Rittenhouse to Pay for Lawsuits With Shooter Video Game
Cops: Vince Carter's Wife, Kids Hid During Burglary
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.