Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 3,269,541+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 21 - 28 |
Black Friday Protest Takes Over Downtown Chicago
'Let them just feel the empty cash registers'
- Instead of shopping, thousands of demonstrators in Chicago are taking to the streets on Black Friday to protest the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald by a white police officer, as well as the way the city has handled the case, Reuters reports. According to the AP , the largest group...
New Videos Showing Laquan McDonald Released
Like the first, they include no audio of officers
- A disturbing dashcam video isn't the only footage authorities have from the scene of Laquan McDonald's shooting in Chicago on Oct. 20, 2014. The
has acquired videos from four additional police vehicles—including the one that carried Officer Jason Van Dyke before he shot the 17-year-old...
The Worst Part About That Chicago Cop Video
It's just how 'mundane' it is, writes journalist whose lawsuit made it public
- A freelance journalist whose lawsuit forced Chicago cops to release the video of Laquan McDonald being shot to death thinks the video is most shocking because of how not-shocking it seems for the officers on scene. The shooting "horrifies in its banality," writes Brandon Smith in the
Chicago Cop No Stranger to Complaints
Jason Van Dyke has had at least 18 lodged against him
- The Chicago police officer charged with murder in the death of Laquan McDonald was the subject of at least 18 citizen complaints before the October 2014 incident, reports WLS . Jason Van Dyke was accused of excessive force in 10 of those incidents over his 14-year career, including two when he...
Chicago Protesters Chant '16' After Video's Release
After release of Laquan McDonald video, 'people are mad as hell'
- Hundreds of protesters took to the streets of Chicago Tuesday night soon after police released disturbing video of a white police officer fatally shooting a black teenager, and the
reports that they chanted "16"—the number of times Officer Jason Van Dyke allegedly shot 17-year-old Laquan...
'Disturbing' Video Shows Cop Shooting Black Teen 16 Times
Officer Jason Van Dyke was charged with murder in the death of Laquan McDonald
- Chicago is bracing for intense protests and demonstrations Tuesday evening after the city released an "extremely disturbing" video of the fatal shooting of a black teenager at the hands of a white police officer in October 2014, Slate reports. The police dashcam video of the shooting allegedly shows Officer...
Chicago Cop Charged With Murder in Teen's Shooting
Video will be released by Wednesday
- A white Chicago police officer accused of fatally shooting a black teenager was charged with first-degree murder Tuesday, just a day ahead of a deadline for the city to release a squad-car video of the killing. It's believed to be the first time in city history an on-duty officer...
Source: Cop Who Shot Teen 16 Times to Be Charged
Chicago cops ordered to release video
- County prosecutors are expected to charge a white Chicago police officer with murder in the fatal shooting of a black teenager, an official close to the investigation says. The official, speaking under the condition of anonymity, says Officer Jason Van Dyke is expected to be charged Tuesday. The charge would...
Stories 21 - 28 |
Popular on Newser
Widow: Face-Mask Killing 'Destroyed' My Family
Horse Race Takes Bizarre Turn in the Home Stretch
FDA: These Hand Sanitizers Have Possibly Fatal Ingredient
New Battle Over 'Cancel Culture' Is Getting Vicious
Thanks, COVID-19: A US Tradition Bites the Dust
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.