Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Boaty McBoatface Is Going on Its First Mission
Submersible is heading to Antarctica
- Boaty McBoatface is going into action. The remotely operated underwater research vessel will be undertaking its first research mission as part of an Antarctic expedition that starts Friday, NPR reports. The submersible, of course, was named Boaty McBoatface after that name won an online poll that was supposed to pick...
'Boaty McBoatface' Name Will Live On
But in a slightly different way
- "Boaty McBoatface" was the public's clear winner in a naming poll for a UK research ship, but Jo Johnson, Britain's science minister, more or less said a couple of weeks ago that the quirky moniker wasn't going to happen . He was partly right, per the
Sorry, Trolls: UK Won't Give You 'Boaty McBoatface'
Science minister says name shouldn't be 'completely frivolous'
- The winning campaign to name the UK's new $300 million research vessel Boaty McBoatface has hit a wall, er, iceberg. Britain's science minister says that while many of the public's suggestions in a naming poll "were imaginative, some were more suitable than others," per
It's Official: 'Boaty McBoatface' Wins
Joke got 4 times as many votes as runner-up
- The UK has confirmed that we cannot have serious online polls dedicated to the serious task of obtaining the public's for-real opinion on the name of its serious new research vessel: Yes, Internet darling "Boaty McBoatface" has overwhelmingly won the Natural Environment Research Council's online poll, which...
Popular on Newser
Before SCOTUS Vote, Democrats Have Request for Pence
Felicity Huffman Has Paid Full Debt to Society
Man Uses Most Unusual Way to Take Down Biden Signs: Cops
10 Best Horror Movies in History
Putin Speaks Out on Trump's Criticism of Biden Family
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.