Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Before She Was Swept Away,
She Went Live on Facebook
Aug 24, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Before She Was Swept Away, She Went Live on Facebook
Linda Almond's body was recovered Sunday after home caved in
- One of at least 22 victims killed in Tennessee flooding described her terror in a Facebook Live video moments before she was swept away. "We're being flooded right now," Linda Almond announced in a 70-second video filmed from her son's home in Waverly just before 10:...
Cops Fatally Shoot Man Who
Livestreamed Car Chase
Sep 9, 2019 9:01 AM CDT
Cops Fatally Shoot Man Who Livestreamed Car Chase
Minnesota man had posted 'so sorry' shortly before he started running red lights
- A Minneapolis-area man posted what now appears to be a goodbye message online, took cops on a car chase he livestreamed through two towns, and then was shot to death by police when he finally exited his car with what looked to be a knife. The
Man Who Shared
Video Gets 21 Months
Jun 18, 2019 12:24 AM CDT
Man Who Shared Mosque Shooting Video Gets 21 Months
Judge accused him glorifying massacre
- A Christchurch businessman who shared a video of worshippers being slaughtered at a New Zealand mosque was sentenced on Tuesday to 21 months in prison. Philip Arps had earlier pleaded guilty to two counts of distributing the video, which was livestreamed on Facebook by a gunman on March 15 as...
Man Burns LGBT Kids' Books
to Spite Pride Event
Oct 26, 2018 2:22 PM CDT
Man Burns LGBT Kids' Books to Spite Pride Event
There may be legal action against Paul Dorr by the library where he says he got the books from
- What was supposed to be a positive celebration of an LGBT community in Iowa was somewhat marred after a man recorded himself on Facebook burning LGBT-themed books (some of them children's volumes) he said he'd checked out of the Orange City Public Library. The
Des Moines Register
NC Man Killed on Livestream
Minutes After Visiting Police
Feb 27, 2018 3:03 AM CST
NC Man Killed on Livestream Minutes After Visiting Police
Douglas Colson, 65, identified as suspect
- Prentis Robinson often used social media to draw attention to crimes including drug dealing in the North Carolina town of Wingate. "I'm trying to keep the neighborhood quiet like this—peaceful," he explained to a Facebook Live audience Monday morning as he walked his neighborhood with a...
Shootout With LA Cops
Jun 30, 2017 2:48 AM CDT
Suspect Livestreams Shootout With LA Cops
He yells officers are 'about to kill me'
- A homicide suspect livestreamed on Facebook as he traded gunfire with police, eventually shooting a Los Angeles SWAT officer before a police round struck him, a law enforcement official says. Both the suspect and officer are expected to survive, Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck says. The official, speaking to...
Man Streams Suicide by
Fire on Facebook Live
May 15, 2017 5:40 PM CDT
Man Streams Suicide by Fire on Facebook Live
Covered in flames, he ran into the bar where his ex works
- While streaming live on Facebook early Saturday, a Memphis musician doused his body in kerosene before fatally setting himself on fire in what police are calling a suicide. NBC News reports that Jared McLemore, 33, began filming outside Murphy’s Bar before lighting himself on fire and running offscreen into...
May 3, 2017 1:58 PM CDT
Zuckerberg Responds to 'Heartbreaking' Facebook Live Problem
Social media company will take steps to combat murders, suicides posted there
- After a disturbing series of murder and suicide videos posted to Facebook or broadcast on Facebook Live , Mark Zuckerberg has apparently heard the wave of concern about video on Facebook. In a Wednesday morning post on the social media platform he created, Zuckerberg promised that the company is working on...
Man Hangs Baby Girl on
Facebook Live Then Kills Self
Apr 25, 2017 2:35 PM CDT
Man Hangs Baby Girl on Facebook Live Then Kills Self
Facebook calls it an 'appalling incident'
- A 20-year-old man streamed himself hanging his 11-month-old daughter on Facebook Live before killing himself Monday evening in a vacant hotel in Thailand, the AP reports. According to the
New York Times
, a four-minute video shows a crying Wuttisan Wongtalay tying a noose around his daughter's neck and dropping...
One Take on Facebook's
Video Problem: 'Not Solvable'
Apr 18, 2017 2:01 PM CDT
One Take on Facebook's Video Problem: 'Not Solvable'
That's one question being asked in the wake of the Cleveland killing
- Facebook hosted its annual developers' conference on Tuesday, but Mark Zuckerberg pivoted briefly to discuss the weekend murder of a man in Cleveland that was broadcast on Facebook Live. "We have a lot more to do here," he said, per the BBC , offering sympathy to the family of...
Suspect in Facebook Murder
Kills Self as Cops Close In
Apr 18, 2017 11:01 AM CDT
Suspect in Facebook Murder Kills Self as Cops Close In
Steve Stephens is dead in Pennsylvania
- The hunt for the alleged Facebook killer is over. Police in Erie, Pa., say Steve Stephens fatally shot himself after a brief chase, reports the Daily Beast . Stephens, 37, had been on the run since Sunday, when he was accused of shooting a 74-year-old man to death in a random...
Cops: Man Broadcast
Killing on Facebook Live
Apr 16, 2017 4:00 PM CDT
Cops: Man Broadcast Killing on Facebook Live
Police in Cleveland seeking suspect Steve Stephens
- Police in Cleveland say a man shot and killed another man Sunday while broadcasting it on Facebook Live. Authorities are looking for Steve Stephens, who is considered armed and dangerous, reports CNN . Stephens not only allegedly broadcast the killing, he posted another video in which he claimed to have "...
Boy Turned In by Mom
in Facebook Live Rape
No One Reported
Apr 3, 2017 5:59 PM CDT
Boy Turned In by Mom in Facebook Live Rape No One Reported
Two have now been arrested, more arrests expected
- A second teenager suspected in the sexual assault of a Chicago teenager that was streamed live on Facebook turned himself in to police on Monday afternoon, the AP reports. Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the mother of a 15-year-old boy who was being sought on an arrest warrant issued Sunday...
Boy, 14, Arrested in Facebook
Live Rape No One Reported
Apr 2, 2017 6:06 AM CDT
Boy, 14, Arrested in Facebook Live Rape No One Reported
Chicago assault was watched by 40 people, no one called police
- A 14-year-old boy has been arrested in the sexual assault of a 15-year-old Chicago girl that was streamed live on Facebook and watched by about 40 people who didn't report it to authorities, police said late Saturday. Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said more arrests are expected as the...
Cops: Teen Girl's Gang Rape
Was on Facebook Live
Mar 22, 2017 12:33 AM CDT
Cops: Teen Girl's Gang Rape Was on Facebook Live
40 people watched without calling police
- Around 40 people watched a 15-year-old girl being gang-raped on Facebook Live and none of them bothered to call authorities, police in Chicago say. Police say the girl, who went missing on Sunday, was tracked down after her mother showed Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson screenshots of the disturbing attack...
Teen Girl Live-Streams
Her Suicide on Facebook
Jan 25, 2017 7:10 PM CST
Teen Girl Live-Streams Her Suicide on Facebook
She's at least 3rd person in US to live-stream their suicide in past month
- A 14-year-old girl killed herself in her foster family's bathroom early Monday in Florida while live-streaming on Facebook Live, the
reports. Police say the girl made a noose out of a scarf and hung herself from a shower door after live-streaming for two hours. A friend of...
Jan 16, 2017 11:17 AM CST
Steelers Coach Foiled by Facebook Live
Mike Tomlin caught on live video bad-mouthing the Patriots
- Oh, the irony. After the Pittsburgh Steelers won Sunday night and earned the right to play the Patriots in the AFC championship, a member of the team can be heard pleading in the locker room, “Be cool on social media, man! This is about us, nobody else, man!”...
Facebook Beating Started
as Pretend Fight
Jan 6, 2017 10:49 AM CST
Facebook Beating Started as Pretend Fight
4 suspects are in court Friday
- The 18-year-old victim of a brutal beating broadcast on Facebook Live thought he was going to a sleepover. That's what his parents thought, too, when they dropped him off at a McDonald's in the Chicago suburbs on New Year's Eve to meet up with 18-year-old Jordan Hill,...
4 Charged With
Hate Crime After
Video of Beating
Jan 5, 2017 1:06 PM CST
4 Charged With Hate Crime After Video of Beating Goes Viral
Suspects in Facebook Live video overheard saying they hoped video would go viral
- Four people have been arrested and charged with a hate crime in the beating of an 18-year-old with mental disabilities that was broadcast on Facebook Live in what a police rep is calling a "reprehensible" 30-minute video. The man's parents had dropped him off at a McDonald's...
Facebook Live Video,
a Deadly Crash
Dec 8, 2016 12:06 PM CST
Seconds Into Facebook Live Video, a Deadly Crash
2 Pennsylvania teens died at the scene
- For a few seconds, a light illuminated Brooke Hughes' face. "Are you going live?" a voice asked, but Hughes didn't have time to respond. With the sound of squealing tires, the Facebook Live video went dark after midnight on Tuesday, reports the
. By the time a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
Kaitlin Armstrong Was Trying to Build New Life in Costa Rica
In Clarence Thomas Opinion, Line About COVID Vaccine, Cells From 'Aborted Children'
Cops: Man Was Shot Dead for Driving Too Slowly
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.