Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 4,883,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
acute flaccid myelitis
CDC Warns Parents About Paralyzing Illness Affecting Kids
They're urged to be on the lookout for symptoms of acute flaccid myelitis
- Parents should be on alert for symptoms of COVID-19 in their kids—but also those of acute flaccid myelitis , a rare, life-threatening neurological disease leading to paralysis in young children. Cases of the polio-like condition seem to spike every other year, and the largest recorded US outbreak came in 2018,...
Another Spike in Cases of Mysterious Illness That Paralyzes Kids
Top federal health official says 120 cases of accute flaccid myelitis this year
- There has been a spike in cases of the mysterious polio-like illness that mainly affects children, with a top federal health official announcing Tuesday that more than 120 confirmed or possible cases have been documented so far in 2018, the
reports. Most of the cases of acute flaccid...
Rare Polio-Like Illness Strikes 6 Minnesota Children
It's likely caused by a viral infection by doctors aren't sure
- A rare condition known for its polio-like effects has been diagnosed in six Minnesota children since mid-September. Per CNN , the condition is called acute flaccid myelitis, or AFM, and damages the body's nervous system. While uncommon, AFM is serious and can lead to paralysis or even death. The state...
Mysterious Illness Paralyzing Kids Across US Again
Acute flaccid myelitis makes a comeback after no new cases were reported in 2015
- It was a quiet 2015 after dozens of people, mostly children, fell gravely ill in 2014 from a mysterious condition called acute flaccid myelitis, which first presents as a cold but quickly escalates to polio-like symptoms, including paralysis. It is quiet no longer as the Centers for Disease Control confirms...
Few Kids Fully Recover From Rare Disease On the Rise
50 cases of AFM confirmed in US in 2016
- At first, it seemed like 4-year-old Laura Carson was suffering from a simple headache. Then came rapid shallow breathing, a tremor, double vision. Within days in August 2014, she was "a limp rag doll," reports Today —but it took doctors some time to diagnose her with acute...
Popular on Newser
One Thing Really Ticks Off Anthony Fauci
Trooper in Elite DUI Unit Had Secret to His Success
Another Governor Tests Positive for COVID
Some Carried 'Own Eyeballs in Their Hands' in Hiroshima
The Idea Really Is to Hurt Biden, Kanye Indicates
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.