Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Activists Behind 'Despicable'
Robocalls Hear Their Fate
Dec 2, 2022 11:23 AM CST
Activists Behind 'Despicable' Robocalls Hear Their Fate
Jack Burkman, Jacob Wohl tried to suppress Black votes in 2020
- After a 2020 robocalling scheme that tried to dissuade tens of thousands of voters in multiple Midwestern states from casting their ballots by mail in that year's election, Jack Burkman and Jacob Wohl were hit with a $5 million fine from the Federal Communications Commission; in October, the far-right...
Major Voting Restrictions All
But Certain in Texas
May 30, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Major Voting Restrictions All But Certain in Texas
Raft of laws would alter how the country's biggest red state conducts elections
- Texas Republicans dug in Saturday for a final weekend vote on some of the most restrictive new voting laws in the US, putting the last touches on a sweeping bill that would eliminate drive-thru voting, empower partisan poll watchers and limit voting on Sundays, when many Black churchgoers head to...
As Kemp Signed Bill She
Knocked on His Door,
Mar 26, 2021 9:03 AM CDT
As Kemp Signed Bill She Knocked on His Door, Got Arrested
Rep. Park Cannon was protesting election legislation
- A Black Democratic state lawmaker was arrested in Atlanta as she tried to witness Georgia's governor sign into law new voting restrictions in the state. Per the
, Rep. Park Cannon was at the state Capitol on Thursday, right outside the office where Gov. Brian Kemp was putting...
In Texas, Cries of
Oct 2, 2020 7:23 AM CDT
In Texas, Cries of Voter Suppression
Governor's order limits ballot drop-off sites to 1 per county
- Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued an executive order Thursday limiting ballot drop-off locations to one per county in what one county clerk says is "a deliberate attempt to manipulate the election." Harris County, encompassing Houston and some 4.7 million residents, planned 12 drop-off sites following an executive...
Amid Spread of Misinformation,
Whispers on FB's Next Move
Jul 11, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
Amid Spread of Misinformation, Whispers on FB's Next Move
Sources tell Bloomberg the social media platform is considering banning political ads before election
- Facebook has been struggling lately over a massive advertiser boycott , partly driven by the company's refusal to address political ads spreading misinformation on the platform. Now, people familiar with Facebook's thinking say the company is considering banning political ads in the days leading up to the November election,...
'Some Sneaky Trick'?
Jun 11, 2020 4:04 PM CDT
Georgia Election: 'Some Sneaky Trick'?
Republicans and Democrats duel over who to blame
- Democrats and black activists are saying Georgia's botched primary election was no mistake—it was by design, and someone needs to pay. "There's always some sneaky trick that's played," Democratic activist Bobby Fuse, 68, tells CNN . "This time, they had a whole bunch of...
Dead Man's Hard Drives
Add Surprise Census Wrinkle
May 31, 2019 12:40 PM CDT
Dead Man's Hard Drives Add Surprise Census Wrinkle
Critics say GOP strategist's work shows citizenship question is about helping Republicans
- The Supreme Court is expected to rule in a matter of weeks on whether the Trump administration can add a citizenship question to the 2020 census. Now, however, a new wrinkle has emerged on the whole issue in an unusual way—via the hard drives of a deceased Republican strategist....
'Give Me My
Oct 15, 2018 9:21 AM CDT
'Give Me My Phone Back, Senator'
David Perdue seemed to have not liked a query on voter suppression while visiting Georgia Tech
- As controversy continues to swirl around the Brian Kemp-Stacey Abrams gubernatorial faceoff in Georgia, a senator campaigning for Kemp created one of his own. Kemp, who's currently Georgia's secretary of state, has been accused of trying to purge voter rolls ahead of the November election, and a Georgia...
May Have Broken Law
Jul 6, 2017 9:03 AM CDT
Voter-Fraud Commission May Have Broken Law
Letter to states asking for voter data apparently didn't go through proper channels
- President Trump has long contended that "millions" of illegal voters marred the November election, despite no evidence to support that belief, and the commission he's approved to shake out voter fraud has been hitting some roadblocks. The latest obstacle: the Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity may have...
May 11, 2017 4:52 PM CDT
Trump Launches Commission to Investigate Voter Fraud
He claims, without evidence, that millions voted illegally
- President Trump signed an executive order Thursday launching a commission to review alleged voter fraud and voter suppression, building upon his unsubstantiated claims that millions of people voted illegally in the 2016 election, the AP reports. The White House said the president's "Advisory Commission on Election Integrity" would...
Maine Gov. Accused of Trying
to Discourage Student Voters
Nov 8, 2016 1:00 AM CST
Maine Gov. Accused of Trying to Discourage Student Voters
ACLU wants LePage investigated for voter intimidation
- Maine Gov. Paul LePage should be encouraging first-time voters in his state, not trying to scare them off, says the ACLU, which wants the Republican to be investigated for alleged voter intimidation. When LePage was asked Monday about fliers that appeared on a college campus over the weekend falsely claiming...
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Tuberville Makes Surprise Reversal on Military Holds
Feds: He Hired a Hit Man, Then the Hit Man Turned on Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.