Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
IG: Ross Misled
Jul 19, 2021 7:00 PM CDT
IG: Ross Misled Congress but Won't Face Charges
Justice Department doesn't explain decision on census testimony case
- Although an inspector general's report found that he misled Congress about the Trump administration's attempt to put a citizenship question in the census, former Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross won't face any charges. "Our investigation established that the then-Secretary misrepresented the full rationale for the reinstatement of...
One of Trump's Cabinet
Jul 19, 2020 5:30 AM CDT
One of Trump's Cabinet Members Hospitalized
Commerce secretary Wilbur Ross hospitalized 'for minor, non-coronavirus related issues,' says rep
- Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, 82, was admitted to a hospital in upstate New York after feeling unwell on Friday evening, reports the AP . “Secretary Ross has been admitted into the hospital for minor, non-coronavirus related issues. He is doing well and we anticipate his release soon," a Commerce...
Health Experts Not Thrilled
With Wilbur Ross' Comments
Jan 31, 2020 6:45 AM CST
Health Experts Not Thrilled With Wilbur Ross' Comments
Commerce chief suggested coronavirus would be great for American business
- In an interview Thursday, commerce chief Wilbur Ross saw a silver lining in the quickly spreading coronavirus. While saying he didn't "want to talk about a victory lap over a very unfortunate, very malignant disease," Ross nonetheless said he thought it would help the US by convincing...
Report: Wilbur Ross Intervened
After Trump's Dorian Tweet
Sep 10, 2019 3:21 AM CDT
Report: Wilbur Ross Intervened After Trump's Dorian Tweet
Sources say commerce chief threatened firings at NOAA
- Hurricane Dorian is now dissipating over the North Atlantic—but the political storm that began with President Trump's incorrect claim that the hurricane was expected to hit Alabama is still with us. Sources tell the
New York Times
that Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross threatened to fire senior National Oceanic...
US Gives Chinese
Tech Giant a Reprieve
Aug 19, 2019 9:19 AM CDT
US Gives Chinese Tech Giant a Reprieve
Huawei gets another 90 days to do business with US companies
- The US will give Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei another 90 days to buy supplies from American companies. It's the second extension for Huawei, a company the US sees as a national security risk. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross revealed the new reprieve on Fox Business News Monday morning, and the...
House Votes on Impeachment,
Criminal Contempt Charges
Jul 17, 2019 5:50 PM CDT
House Votes on Impeachment, Criminal Contempt Charges
The impeachment vote may signal future division
- To impeach or not to impeach? That's been the question for House Democrats, and Wednesday they tried it—and it died. But the 332-95 vote against impeaching Trump for his racist tweets Sunday did rally 95 Democratic yeas vs 137 Democratic nays, confirming a divide in the party that...
Jul 3, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Be a Citizenship Question
President calls news that question was dropped from census 'fake'
- A day after his own commerce secretary and a Justice Department lawyer announced that the 2020 census questionnaire was being printed without the citizenship question President Trump wants, Trump denied the news. "The News Reports about the Department of Commerce dropping its quest to put the Citizenship Question on...
Contempt Vote Delayed
After Trump Asserts Privilege
Jun 12, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
Contempt Vote Delayed After Trump Asserts Privilege
At issue are subpoenaed census documents
- The Justice Department on Tuesday warned of the move, and on Wednesday it came to pass. President Trump has exerted executive privilege over documents related to his administration's addition of a citizenship question to the 2020 census. The
reports those documents include drafts of a letter penned by...
Moves to Hold
Jun 3, 2019 4:46 PM CDT
House Panel Moves to Hold Barr, Ross in Contempt
Over census question
- The House Oversight Committee is moving to hold Attorney General William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in contempt of Congress for failing to comply with subpoenas for documents related to the Trump administration's decision to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census, the AP reports. Rep. Elijah...
Dead Man's Hard Drives
Add Surprise Census Wrinkle
May 31, 2019 12:40 PM CDT
Dead Man's Hard Drives Add Surprise Census Wrinkle
Critics say GOP strategist's work shows citizenship question is about helping Republicans
- The Supreme Court is expected to rule in a matter of weeks on whether the Trump administration can add a citizenship question to the 2020 census. Now, however, a new wrinkle has emerged on the whole issue in an unusual way—via the hard drives of a deceased Republican strategist....
Wilbur Ross Clarifies His
Criticized Shutdown Remarks
Jan 24, 2019 7:07 PM CST
Wilbur Ross Clarifies His Criticized Shutdown Remarks
Commerce chief says he's 'painfully aware' furloughed workers are suffering
- Commerce secretary Wilbur Ross took much grief on Thursday when he said he didn't "really quite understand" why furloughed federal workers were showing up at food banks when they could take out a loan instead. Given that Ross is worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $700 million, the...
Jan 24, 2019 10:25 AM CST
Wilbur Ross: Why Are Furloughed Workers at Food Banks?
Commerce secretary doesn't 'quite understand why' shutdown is spurring struggle
- Asked about those working without pay due to the government shutdown, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross had a suggestion: "The banks and the credit unions should be making credit available to them. When you think about it, these are basically government-guaranteed loans, because the government has committed these folks will...
Judge Blocks White House
From Adding Census Question
Jan 15, 2019 10:25 AM CST
Judge Blocks White House From Adding Census Question
But issue of citizenship is likely headed to Supreme Court
- A federal judge in New York has barred the Trump administration from adding a question about citizenship to the 2020 census. US District Judge Jesse Furman said Tuesday that while such a question would be constitutional, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross had added it arbitrarily and not followed proper procedure, per...
Wilbur Ross Allegedly Stole
$120M. And Sweet'N Low
Aug 7, 2018 10:05 AM CDT
Wilbur Ross Allegedly Stole $120M. And Sweet'N Low
Commerce chief accused by 'Forbes' of being among the biggest American 'grifters'
- The buzziest political story of the day comes courtesy of Dan Alexander at
, who's out with some devastating allegations against Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross. Alexander interviewed 21 people who say that Ross, through his private equity firm WL Ross & Co., "siphoned or outright stole a few...
China's ZTE Will Pay Huge
Fine to End US Sanctions
Jun 7, 2018 10:00 AM CDT
China's ZTE Will Pay Huge Fine to End US Sanctions
'We still retain the power to shut them down again,' say commerce chief Ross
- The United States has reached a deal with Chinese telecommunications giant ZTE Corp . that includes a $1 billion fine, says Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross. The resolution of the ZTE case may clear the way for the US to make progress in its high-stakes trade talks with China, per the AP...
As Trade Talks Heat Up,
China Makes an Offer
Jun 6, 2018 9:05 AM CDT
As Trade Talks Heat Up, China Makes an Offer
Country offers to buy $70B in US products in first year of deal
- China is willing to buy up nearly $70 billion in US products like soybeans, corn, natural gas, crude oil, and coal in the first year of a deal if the Trump administration forgets about its threatened trade tariffs . Extending what Business Insider calls "a massive olive branch," Chinese...
New Tariffs on US Allies
May 31, 2018 10:15 AM CDT
New Tariffs on US Allies Called 'Dangerous'
The EU, Canada, and Mexico get hit
- The delay is over . The Trump administration is announcing tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from the European Union, Canada, and Mexico, in a move sure to raise worries of a trade war. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross says there will be a 25% tariff on imported steel and a 10%...
Scuba Diver Mauled
to Death by Shark
Dec 3, 2017 10:40 AM CST
Scuba Diver Mauled to Death by Shark
The American woman was on vacation in Costa Rica
- An American tourist who was mauled to death by a shark off the coast of Costa Rica on Thursday has been identified as a New York City private equity director. Authorities say Rohina Bhandari, a 49-year-old senior director at WL Ross & Col. LL, was with a group of 18...
: Wilbur Ross Lied
About Being a Billionaire
Nov 7, 2017 9:30 AM CST
: Wilbur Ross Lied About Being a Billionaire
Magazine accuses commerce secretary of pattern of 'whoppers' and 'omissions' going back 13 years
- Earlier this year, President Trump noted "I just don't want a poor person" in charge of economic posts in his administration, then touted Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross as "a very rich person" who was up to the task. But just how rich Ross really is is now...
Offshore Secrets of
Nov 6, 2017 6:09 AM CST
Leak Reveals Offshore Secrets of Queen, Celebrities
Trump officials also named in 'Paradise Papers'
- A massive leak of internal documents from Bermuda-based law firm Appleby has exposed the financial secrets of many of the world's elites—but while it may cause many tough questions to be asked, no evidence of law-breaking has surfaced. The "Paradise Papers" leak of 13.4 million records...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
M&M's Brouhaha Was Indeed a Super Bowl Ad Stunt
Cincy Mayor: Yeah, I Deserved Being Called a 'Jabroni'
Man's Body Found in SUV After It's Towed Away
Oscars Reviewing Rules After Controversial Nomination
24 Actor Annie Wersching Dies at 45
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.