Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Recovering $25M From
Neo-Nazis Could Be a Problem
Nov 25, 2021 8:51 AM CST
Recovering $25M From Neo-Nazis Could Be a Problem
Those not in jail or in hiding say they're broke
- A jury awarded more than $25 million this week to people who sued white nationalists over 2017's deadly Unite the Right rally in Virginia—but it's not clear how much of it plaintiffs' lawyers will be able to recover. Three of the five far-right groups named as defendants...
Key to White Supremacists'
Lingo: the Guise of Humor
Nov 19, 2021 9:12 AM CST
Key to White Supremacists' Lingo: the Guise of Humor
Charlottesville trial includes testimony about the strategy
- The Kyle Rittenhouse and Ahmaud Arbery trials aren't the only cases involving volatile race issues winding down at the moment. Jurors in Charlottesville, Virginia, begin deliberations Friday in a civil trial over the deadly violence that broke out at the Unite the Right rally in 2017, reports CNN . Details:...
White Supremacists' Trial Over
Violent Rally to Invoke KKK Act
Oct 25, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
White Supremacists' Trial Over Violent Rally to Invoke KKK Act
Federal lawsuit argues organizers planned the chaos
- Jury selection began in a federal lawsuit against white supremacists Monday, and the trial's central issue will be whether the violence that left dozens of people injured and one person dead at a 2017 rally was spontaneous or had been planned for months. The case will be heard in...
UVA to Richard
Away Till 2022
Oct 27, 2018 9:05 AM CDT
UVA to Richard Spencer: Stay Away Till 2022
White nationalist, 9 others banned from campus for 4 years
- If Richard Spencer wants to try to stir up any trouble in Charlottesville , he's going to have to do it anywhere other than the University of Virginia, at least for the next four years. That's because, per the
, the UVA grad and noted white nationalist has...
of Domestic Abuse
Oct 24, 2018 3:49 AM CDT
Wife Accuses White Nationalist of Domestic Abuse
She says Richard Spencer was 'physically, emotionally, verbally, and financially abusive'
- The estranged wife of Richard Spencer says the prominent white nationalist was "physically, emotionally, verbally, and financially abusive" and attacked her on more than one occasion. In divorce filings from Montana seen by BuzzFeed , Nina Koupriianova describes being hit, grabbed, dragged around by her hair, and "held down...
After Twitter Yanks Verified
Status, She Cites Holocaust
Nov 16, 2017 9:45 AM CST
After Twitter Yanks Verified Status, She Cites Holocaust
That from Laura Loomer, who along with Richard Spencer and others lost the blue tick
- A few Twitter users lost the coveted blue tick on Wednesday after Twitter released new guidelines regarding verified accounts. The move came after the company was attacked for granting verified status to Jason Kessler, who put together the white nationalist rally that rocked Charlottesville in August (and issued this "...
Shouts of 'Heil Hitler'
Before Shooting After
Richard Spencer Speech
Oct 21, 2017 5:30 AM CDT
Shouts of 'Heil Hitler' Before Shooting After Richard Spencer Speech
3 men charged with attempted homicide
- Three men were arrested for an alleged shooting that took place about an hour after white nationalist Richard Spencer's University of Florida speech ended Thursday, and Gainesville police say the men yelled "Heil Hitler" before shots were fired. Tyler Tenbrink and brothers Colton and William Fears, all from...
Speech at UF
Oct 19, 2017 5:15 PM CDT
Alt-Right Leader Heckled During Speech at UF
Richard Spencer's speech 'mostly drowned out,' per one newspaper
- Richard Spencer gave his much-anticipated speech at the University of Florida in Gainesville Thursday and, not surprisingly, the white supremacist leader was greeted with protests. CNN says the "vast majority" of those protesting at the event were against Spencer, and that many of those inside the venue where he...
State of Emergency
Before Alt-Right Speech
Oct 17, 2017 3:34 AM CDT
Florida Declares State of Emergency Before Alt-Right Speech
Richard Spencer to speak in Gainesville Thursday
- White nationalist Richard Spencer is scheduled to speak at the University of Florida on Thursday, and authorities are treating him like an approaching hurricane: Gov. Rick Scott has declared a state of emergency in Alachua County, which includes the Gainesville campus where Spencer will speak, the
New York Daily News
to Speak at UF.
His Cost: $10K.
UF's Cost: $500K
Oct 6, 2017 9:05 AM CDT
White Nationalist to Speak at UF. His Cost: $10K. UF's Cost: $500K
Richard Spencer event scheduled for Oct. 19
- As one university faces a lawsuit over its refusal to host white nationalist Richard Spencer, another is reluctantly conceding to the idea. The University of Florida says it will allow Spencer to speak on its campus on Oct. 19 in what will be the alt-right leader's first college event...
Michigan State Blocks
White Nationalists, Gets Sued
Sep 5, 2017 3:22 AM CDT
Michigan State Blocks White Nationalists, Gets Sued
Richard Spencer couldn't get a conference room
- Michigan State University is being taken to federal court for denying white supremacist Richard Spencer a chance to speak on campus. Attorney Kyle Bristow, former president of the MSU chapter of the conservative Young Americans for Freedom group, accuses the university of violating the First and Fourteenth amendments by refusing...
Texas A&M Halts
'White Pride' Rally
Aug 15, 2017 7:57 AM CDT
Texas A&M Halts 'White Pride' Rally
Its organizer is now threatening to sue over First Amendment violation
- Texas A&M has canceled a "White Lives Matter" event that was billed by its organizer as "Today Charlottesville, Tomorrow Texas A&M." While stressing its commitment to the First Amendment, the university on Monday announced that the Sept. 11 event will not go ahead because its...
Why Charlottesville Is Newest
Flash Point in Alt-Right Wars
May 15, 2017 11:45 AM CDT
Why Charlottesville Is Newest Flash Point in Alt-Right Wars
Virginia city's plans to remove Robert E. Lee statue causes a ruckus
- The latest alt-right flash point is in Charlottesville, Va., with protests and counter-protests over plans to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee from a city park. Things got heated over the weekend when white nationalist Richard Spencer led marches , including a nighttime one complete with burning torches,...
After Virginia Mayor Slams
Rally, 'Bigots' Go After Him
May 15, 2017 6:21 AM CDT
After Virginia Mayor Slams Rally, 'Bigots' Go After Him
Mike Signer says he's been targeted online
- The mayor of Charlottesville says he has been targeted by bigots online after criticizing torch-carrying pro-Confederate protesters in the Virginia city as either "profoundly ignorant" or trying to instill fear in minorities. Mike Signer says the anti-Semitic abuse he's receiving is a sign of the "juvenile mentality"...
Protest at Robert E. Lee Statue
May 14, 2017 11:39 AM CDT
Alt-Right Torch-Wielders Protest at Robert E. Lee Statue
To chants of 'You will not replace us,' 'Russia is our friend'
- "What brings us together is that we are white, we are a people, we will not be replaced," intoned Richard Spencer, the man who coined the term "alt-right," at rallies Saturday near a contentious statue of Robert E. Lee in Charlottesville, Va. As the
3 Arrests as
Speaks at Auburn
Apr 19, 2017 2:21 AM CDT
3 Arrests as White Nationalist Speaks at Auburn
Protesters engaged in shouting matches with supporters of Richard Spencer
- White nationalist Richard Spencer spoke in a crowded auditorium at Auburn University on Tuesday after a federal judge blocked the Alabama school from banning his appearance. Only a few chairs were empty in the 400-seat-plus room as Spencer and other speakers railed against ethnicity and racial diversity, liberals, the media,...
Base in a Fury
Over Syria Strike
Apr 7, 2017 4:29 PM CDT
Trump's Alt-Right Base in a Fury Over Syria Strike
Some believe Trump was conned into Syria strike
- President Trump's intervention in Syria isn't sitting well with a group that has long provided some of his staunchest support: bloggers loosely described as being on the alt-right. Politico , the
, and the
New York Times
provide examples of the anger, and two main themes are clear:...
'Alt-Right' Group Stripped
of Tax-Exempt Status
Mar 14, 2017 7:11 AM CDT
'Alt-Right' Group Stripped of Tax-Exempt Status
Richard Spencer failed to file tax returns
- What does white supremacist Richard Spencer get up to when he isn't being punched in the face ? It isn't filing paperwork: The
Los Angeles Times
reports that the National Policy Institute, a white nationalist group that Spencer has been running since 2011, has been stripped of its...
Show Mocked His 'Nazi Hair.'
Turns Out, He Has Cancer
Mar 10, 2017 6:25 AM CST
Show Mocked His 'Nazi Hair.' Turns Out, He Has Cancer
Samantha Bee's 'Full Frontal' has apologized to Kyle Coddington
- Samantha Bee's political satire show is apologizing for a bit that mocked attendees at the recent CPAC convention for having "Nazi hair"—it turns out that one of the targets actually has brain cancer. "We deeply apologize for offending @_that_kyle in our CPAC segment," reads...
White Nationalist Punched
During DC Interview
Jan 21, 2017 6:51 AM CST
White Nationalist Punched During DC Interview
217 arrested during inauguration protests
- Inauguration Day did not go well for prominent white nationalist Richard Spencer. He was speaking to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation near Donald Trump's inauguration about his Pepe the Frog pin and whether or not he is a neo-Nazi when a masked person ran up and punched him in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Only a Whirlwind Can Save Mars Lander
Elite Cyclist Shot, Killed at 25
Report: Before Mass Shooting, 15 Accepted Suspect's Invite
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Madison Cawthorn Issues Defiant Message After Loss
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.