Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Here's Who Is Currently
in the Democratic Debates
Jun 6, 2019 12:16 PM CDT
Here's Who Is Currently in the Democratic Debates
13 Democrats have qualified, but the last 7 spots are up in the air
- The first Democratic debates for the 2020 election take place June 26 and June 27 in Miami, with each night featuring 10 different candidates on stage, reports ABC News . The field is currently larger than 20, and the party will decide next week who makes the cut, based on polling...
Beto Tries to Get
His Groove Back
May 12, 2019 8:45 AM CDT
Beto Tries to Get His Groove Back
With early buzz fading, candidate hopes to gain new momentum with 'reintroduction'
- Beto O'Rourke barreled into the 2020 presidential race with breakneck energy and a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants campaign style that saw him leap atop tables to address overflow crowds with the organic, off-the-cuff candor that had made him a Texas sensation. But since his mid-March campaign launch, the AP reports that the...
Reveals His Numbers
Apr 3, 2019 6:26 PM CDT
Beto O’Rourke Reveals His Numbers
The former Texas representative is doing well, but it's hard to compare
- Beto O'Rourke's campaign is hauling in the bucks—but his relatively late entry in the race makes it unclear who's leading the financial pack, the
New York Times
reports. O'Rourke's campaign says he raised $9.4 million from 218,000 contributions during the first 18...
Spotlight Brightens as
Buttigieg Fills His Coffers
Apr 2, 2019 11:49 AM CDT
Spotlight Brightens as Buttigieg Fills His Coffers
South Bend mayor raises $7M in 3 months
- "Mayor Pete" has some serious momentum. South Bend, Ind., mayor Pete Buttigieg raised more than $7 million in the first quarter of 2019 for his presidential campaign . The fundraising total revealed Monday is $5 million less than Kamala Harris raised in Q1, and the figure will likely be dwarfed...
Beto Tops All Candidates
in First-Day Fundraising
Mar 18, 2019 7:55 AM CDT
Beto Tops All Candidates in First-Day Fundraising
Campaign reports pulling in $6.1M, just ahead of Bernie Sanders
- When he ran against Ted Cruz for the Senate, Beto O'Rourke generated a huge amount of support from grass-roots fundraising. As a presidential candidate, he appears to be starting off the same way. O'Rourke's campaign said Monday he had raised $6.1 million in the first 24...
for Teen Writings,
Remarks on Wife
Mar 16, 2019 9:10 AM CDT
Beto Apologizes for Teen Writings, Remarks on Wife
O'Rourke says criticism toward him was 'right on'
- Democratic presidential contender Beto O'Rourke on Friday acknowledged making mistakes as a teen and as a candidate, responding to criticism of his campaign rhetoric toward his wife, as well as writings he produced online when he was young. During a taping of the
Political Party Live
podcast in Cedar...
Beto Video Sparks
Spoof on His Hands,
Mar 15, 2019 8:03 AM CDT
Beto Video Sparks Spoof on His Hands, Wife's 'Gaze'
Presidential contender was definitely animated in his announcement clip
- Beto O'Rourke is running for president —and a conversation on what the
New York Times
calls "an age-old trope in American political theater" has been rebooted. That trope would be the "silent, supportive wife," inspired by his spouse, Amy, in the video announcing O'Rourke'...
Trump: O'Rourke Has
'Crazy' Hand Movements
Mar 15, 2019 3:13 AM CDT
Trump: O'Rourke Has 'Crazy' Hand Movements
Democrat says he wants to 'rise above pettiness'
- If President Trump faces Beto O'Rourke in the general election, he apparently has two lines of attack ready: The Texan's hands and name. The president mocked the Democrat, who announced his candidacy in a video Thursday, for moving his hands too much, Politico reports. "I've never...
Mar 14, 2019 8:36 AM CDT
Beto O'Rourke Faces One Big Problem
He lacks 'an actual reason to run,' writes one skeptical observer
- Beto is in . Some quick takes on how the candidacy of 46-year-old Beto O'Rourke—watch his announcement here —is being received:
The former Texas congressman has a lot going for him, writes Josh Voorhees at Slate , including a devoted base of supporters thanks to his near
Beto Is Running for President:
'Man, I'm Just Born to Be in It'
Mar 14, 2019 6:58 AM CDT
Beto Is Running for President: 'Man, I'm Just Born to Be in It'
He confirms his candidacy via text message
- Beto O'Rourke, who said weeks ago that he had made a decision on running for president in 2020, has now decided to share that decision with the world. The Democrat confirmed in a text message to El Paso station KTSM that he plans to enter the race, saying his...
to Share It
Feb 28, 2019 6:39 AM CST
Beto O'Rourke's Big Decision: He's 'Excited' to Share It
Former Texas congressman says he'll let us know about his political future 'soon'
- Texas constituents may be disappointed to hear that, after trying to unseat Sen. Ted Cruz in 2018, Beto O'Rourke won't be trying the same against Sen. John Cornyn in 2020. That's what sources said to be "close" to the former Democratic congressman told the
Beto on 2020: Everything's On
the Table. Prez, VP, Senator...
Feb 19, 2019 4:40 PM CST
Beto on 2020: Everything's On the Table. Prez, VP, Senator...
O'Rourke still expects to make decision on whether to run for president, Senate this month
- Beto O'Rourke says he hasn't ruled out being a 2020 vice presidential candidate, even as he plans to decide in the next 10 days if he'll seek the presidency himself. Answering a question in Spanish about possibly being another candidate's running mate after an El Paso...
In Dueling Rallies, Trump
Taunts Beto Over Crowd Size
Feb 12, 2019 6:51 AM CST
In Dueling Rallies, Trump Taunts Beto Over Crowd Size
'I say that may be the end of his presidential bid,' says the president
- President Trump and Beto O'Rourke held dueling rallies across the street from each other—and across the Rio Grande from Mexico—in El Paso on Monday night. Both men addressed the border wall issue, with Trump, at his first rally of the year, speaking under signs that read "...
Beto to Oprah:
I'll Make Decision
on 2020 Run
by Month's End
Feb 5, 2019 7:06 PM CST
Beto to Oprah: I'll Make Decision on 2020 Run by Month's End
O'Rourke taped an interview with Winfrey Tuesday
- Breaking months of near-silence about his political future, Democrat Beto O'Rourke said Tuesday that he would announce his decision about a 2020 presidential run "before the end of the month" and suggested he's leaning toward it, the AP reports. The former Texas congressman, who found political stardom...
I'm Not Running
in 2020. Here's
Jan 3, 2019 1:04 PM CST
Martin O'Malley: I'm Not Running in 2020. Here's Who Should
Former Maryland governor endorses Beto O'Rourke
- Martin O'Malley, who staged his own "long-shot presidential" campaign, as he calls it, in 2016, reveals his pick for 2020: Beto O'Rourke. In a
Des Moines Register
column, the former governor of Maryland says he hopes the former Democratic congressman who staged a "courageous run for...
What Beto's Loss
Says About His Future
Nov 7, 2018 8:53 AM CST
What Beto's Loss Says About His Future
Pundits weigh in
- Beto O'Rourke lost to Ted Cruz, but the elegies for the 46-year-old are in many cases reading a lot more like a 2020 presidential pitch. What's being said about the Texas Democrat's loss and the future of both the candidate and the party in the state:
Control of Senate
Nov 6, 2018 11:37 PM CST
Republicans Keep Control of Senate
GOP wins key races in Tennessee, Texas, Indiana, Missouri
- Republicans will keep control of the Senate for at least another two years—both CNN and the AP have called it. The GOP went into Tuesday's midterms with a 51-49 advantage, and the party appears to be on track to actually increase that margin. The bad news began early...
Cruz Beats Beto
in Texas Nail-Biter
Nov 6, 2018 9:37 PM CST
Cruz Beats Beto in Texas Nail-Biter
Texas Republican will keep his seat
- It was close, but Ted Cruz will keep his Senate seat in Texas. The Republican defeated Democrat Beto O'Rourke Tuesday, reports CNN . O'Rourke jumped out to an early lead in returns, but the lead then went back and forth throughout the night. Cruz, though, eventually dashed Democrats' hopes...
Pipe Bomb Suspect
Oct 31, 2018 4:02 PM CDT
Pipe Bomb Suspect Also Threatened Beto O'Rourke
Threats were sent over Facebook, spokesperson for Texas congressman says
- A spokesman for Texas Senate candidate Beto O'Rourke says the Democratic congressman received threats earlier this year from the suspected pipe bomber in Florida, the AP reports. O'Rourke spokesman Chris Evans says Cesar Sayoc used Facebook to send threatening messages in April. Evans says O'Rourke, who's...
O'Rourke Comes Out Swinging
in Cruz Debate: 'Lyin' Ted'
Oct 17, 2018 3:33 AM CDT
O'Rourke Comes Out Swinging in Cruz Debate: 'Lyin' Ted'
But Texas senator swings right back
- Beto O'Rourke was relatively reserved in his first debate against Sen. Ted Cruz last month, the
New York Times
notes. In Tuesday night's debate in San Antonio, however: The congressman was "sharper and edgier," and the
notes that "seasoned debater" Cruz, whose Texas Senate...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Archbishop to Pelosi: No More Communion for You
Finland Won't Pay Gas Company in Rubles. Russia Hits Back
2 Secret Service Employees Sent Home From Biden's Trip
Topless Anti-Russia Protester Crashes Cannes
Tech Bigwig Was on Call on How to Contest Trump's Loss
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.