Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 15, 2021 11:37 AM CST
Beto O'Rourke Is Running for Governor
Democrat announces candidacy in Texas
- Democrat Beto O'Rourke is running for governor of Texas, pursuing a blue breakthrough in America's biggest red state, per the AP . O'Rourke's announcement Monday via video kicks off a third run for office in as many election cycles. First came his near-miss 2018 Senate race against...
Abbott's Sinking Poll Numbers
May Give Beto an Opening
Sep 19, 2021 3:43 PM CDT
Abbott's Sinking Poll Numbers May Give Beto an Opening
Axios reports ex-congressman plans to announce run for Texas governor later this year
- Beto-for-president fizzled . Maybe Beto-for-governor will work? Axios reports that former Democratic congressman Beto O'Rourke will announce a run for Texas governor later this year. A spokesman says "no decision has been made" but acknowledges that O'Rourke has been busy making phone calls. The Axios report says O'...
How One Texan Is
Holding Up: 'I Cannot Do This'
Feb 17, 2021 1:18 PM CST
How One Texan Is Holding Up: 'I Cannot Do This'
The pandemic and storm are all too much for some
- Texas' energy grid stands on its own, isolated from the rest of the country and unable to import power from other states. That means "when it comes to electricity, what happens in Texas stays in Texas," Dan Cohan, an associate professor of environmental engineering at Rice University, tells...
Let the Blame Game Begin
Jan 7, 2021 7:54 AM CST
Let the Blame Game Begin
Sens. Hawley, Cruz accused of spurring Wednesday's violence, along with Trump
- Lots of people are laying blame for Wednesday's violence at the Capitol on President Trump. But the
Kansas City Star
editorial board points to another Republican: Missouri Sen. Josh Hawley. The 41-year-old senator elected in 2018 "deserves an impressive share of the blame for the blood that's...
a 2016 Mark
Oct 30, 2020 3:35 PM CDT
Texans Just Eclipsed a 2016 Mark
9 million people have cast ballots already in the state, more than in 2016
- In the middle of a pandemic, during an intense election campaign, Texans are voting like there's no tomorrow. More people have voted already in the general election than cast ballots in 2016, the Hill reports. The state reports voting has topped 9 million, a record, as of Thursday; in...
'Greatest Ally' of
Sep 23, 2020 3:14 PM CDT
'Greatest Ally' of Biden's Campaign Isn't Obvious
At the Guardian , Ed Pilkington argues it could be Beto O'Rourke
- Cindy McCain might be Joe Biden's favorite person this week . But the
argues that Beto O’Rourke could end up his "greatest ally" of the campaign. That's because O'Rourke—a one-time Biden rival for the 2020 Democratic nomination—thinks Texas and its 38 electoral college...
Holding an AR-15,
Tells Biden to
Try to Take It
Mar 8, 2020 9:56 AM CDT
Holding an AR-15, GOP Lawmaker Tells Biden to Try to Take It
Ken Buck keeps the weapon in his Capitol Hill office
- A Republican member of Congress has posted a challenging, if not threatening, video on gun control. "I have just one message for Joe Biden and Beto O'Rourke," Rep. Ken Buck tweeted . "If you want to take everyone's AR-15s, why don't you swing by my...
Dems Are Circling the
Wagons Around Biden
Mar 3, 2020 6:43 AM CST
Dems Are Circling the Wagons Around Biden
Beto O'Rourke just the latest candidate to endorse former VP ahead of Super Tuesday
- If the only people voting on Super Tuesday were former Democratic presidential candidates, Joe Biden would probably win in a landslide. Beto O'Rourke, who dropped out of the race four months ago, joined more recent ex-candidates Amy Klobuchar and Pete Buttigieg in endorsing Biden on Monday, Politico reports. Texas,...
Beto O'Rourke Is Out,
and Trump Weighs In
Nov 1, 2019 6:20 PM CDT
Beto O'Rourke Is Out, and Trump Weighs In
'Our campaign has been about seeing clearly, speaking honestly and acting decisively'
- Beto O'Rourke, the former Texas congressman, announced Friday that he was ending his Democratic presidential campaign, which failed to recapture the enthusiasm, interest, and fundraising prowess of his 2018 Senate race. In an online post, O'Rourke said, "My service to the country will not be as a...
Charges Say Soldier Passed
Bomb Instructions Online
Sep 23, 2019 6:17 PM CDT
Charges Say Soldier Passed Bomb Instructions Online
Suspect reportedly mentioned Beto O'Rourke as a target
- Federal authorities said Monday that they charged a US Army soldier with sharing bomb-making instructions online, and that he discussed bombing an unidentified media organization and killing left-leaning activists. Jarrett William Smith, 24, a private first class from South Carolina stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas, was arrested Saturday, the AP...
After Beto's AR-15 Pledge,
He Sees a 'Death Threat'
Sep 13, 2019 8:51 AM CDT
After Beto's AR-15 Pledge, He Sees a 'Death Threat'
Texas lawmaker tweets that 'my AR is ready for you,' and Twitter removes it
- Beto O'Rourke delivered one of the most talked-about lines of Thursday night's debate when he declared , "Hell yes, we're going to take your AR-15, your AK-47." Now a Texas lawmaker is in the spotlight for his response, reports CBS News . "My AR is ready...
After Mass Shooting,
Hawks 'F-ed Up' T-Shirts
Sep 2, 2019 2:33 AM CDT
After Mass Shooting, O'Rourke Campaign Hawks 'F-ed Up' T-Shirts
Proceeds will benefit anti-gun violence groups
- Beto O'Rourke denounced gun violence in no uncertain terms after Saturday's mass shooting in his home state—and his campaign has now put those words on a T-shirt. The Democratic presidential candidate repeatedly described the massacre in Odessa, Texas, and the "epidemic of gun violence in America"...
New Poll Is Bad News
for Kamala Harris
Aug 20, 2019 12:05 PM CDT
New Poll Is Bad News for Kamala Harris
She drops 12 points in CNN poll from surge after first debate
- Joe Biden has bounced back from his debate squabble with Kamala Harris, who is now floundering, according to a new CNN poll. With the support of 29% of potential Democratic voters, up 7 points since late June, Biden regains a double-digit lead over Bernie Sanders (15%) and Elizabeth Warren (14%),...
on Senate Run,
Beto Gives an
Aug 16, 2019 7:53 AM CDT
Pressed Again on Senate Run, Beto Gives an Answer
It's a no, because 'I'm taking this fight directly to Donald Trump'
- Last weekend, the
editorial board made an impassioned plea to Beto O'Rourke: "Beto, come home. Texas needs you." The opinion piece implored the 2020 presidential candidate to drop out of his current race and make a Senate run in his home state, as he did...
Beto Rejoins the Race, With
New, Trump-Centric Strategy
Aug 15, 2019 2:05 PM CDT
Beto Rejoins the Race, With New, Trump-Centric Strategy
O'Rourke says he'll now frame his White House bid as a battle against the president
- Democrat Beto O'Rourke rejoined the presidential race on Thursday following a nearly two-week pause—using a speech in his Texas hometown where a mass shooting killed 22 people to overhaul his White House bid and argue that President Trump is morally unfit for a second term. The former congressman...
Makes a Plea to Beto
Aug 13, 2019 6:50 AM CDT
Houston Newspaper Makes a Plea to Beto
Drop out of presidential race and run for Senate in Texas, suggests the 'Chronicle'
- The editorial board of the
likes Beto O'Rourke. Which is why the editors are asking O'Rourke to scrap his presidential candidacy—and run for the Senate in Texas instead. In their editorial , the editors take note of the moment last week when O'Rourke went off-script...
Dems Are Not
Aug 6, 2019 3:03 AM CDT
Dems Are Not Happy With
'Unbelievable' was one response to banner after weekend mass shootings
- There are plenty of armchair headline writers on any given day, but more than a few raised concerns Monday about one in particular in the
New York Times
notes disbelief and anger, especially from high-profile Democrats, was a prominent response to the way the Gray Lady chose to...
Beto: I'm a Descendant
of Slave Owners
Jul 15, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
Beto: I'm a Descendant of Slave Owners
2020 candidate writes about details, reiterates support for reparations
- Beto O'Rourke has previously backed the idea of reparations for the descendants of slaves, and now the issue just got much more personal for him. In a Medium post , the 2020 candidate reveals that he and his wife, Amy Sanders, descend from slave owners. For example, O'Rourke writes...
'A 10-Person Debate Is a Mess'
Jun 26, 2019 8:49 AM CDT
'A 10-Person Debate Is a Mess'
20 Democratic candidates have been split over 2 nights, starting tonight
- With 20 candidates vying for attention—a number more suited to wrestling's Royal Rumble than a traditional debate—Democrats have split the field into two groups for debates in Miami on Wednesday and Thursday nights. Republicans who took part in their party's 10 and 11-person 2016 debates, however,...
Here's Who Is Currently
in the Democratic Debates
Jun 6, 2019 12:16 PM CDT
Here's Who Is Currently in the Democratic Debates
13 Democrats have qualified, but the last 7 spots are up in the air
- The first Democratic debates for the 2020 election take place June 26 and June 27 in Miami, with each night featuring 10 different candidates on stage, reports ABC News . The field is currently larger than 20, and the party will decide next week who makes the cut, based on polling...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Hate Mail Flooded In After Golfer's Greatest Moment
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Lab-Bound Monkeys That Escaped Have Been Caught
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.