Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Cop's Wife Dies
While Trapped in SUV
Aug 25, 2020 10:00 AM CDT
Cop's Wife Dies While Trapped in SUV
Rear doors could only be opened from the outside
- The wife of a Miami police officer died after becoming trapped in the back seat of her husband's police-issued SUV. Clara Paulino was apparently looking for something in the back seat of the Ford Explorer, parked at her Miami Shores home, on Friday afternoon when she became trapped inside,...
Risk' on Hand
May 23, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
New Warning About 'Hidden Risk' on Hand Sanitizers
Fire department posts photo of burned car door, claiming hand sanitizer can ignite if car gets too hot
- Hand sanitizer is supposed to be helping us to stay safe during the coronavirus pandemic, but CBS Dallas-Fort Worth details a "hidden risk" that many people may not have considered. In a Facebook post that's since been taken down, the Western Lakes Fire District of Oconomowoc, Wis., put...
Dad Leaves Toddler Twins
in Hot Minivan for 3.5 Hours
Sep 29, 2019 4:45 PM CDT
Dad Leaves Toddler Twins in Hot Minivan for 3.5 Hours
The tragedy unfolded at a Honda dealership in Alabama
- In another hot-car tragedy, an Alabama father left his 11-month old twins in a minivan for nearly 3 1/2 hours—and the result was not good, AL.com reports. Police officers and firefighters responded to his 911 call Friday at the Honda dealership in Oxford where he works. "He...
A Tragic Past for Parents of
Toddler Who Died in Hot Car
Sep 23, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
A Tragic Past for Parents of Toddler Who Died in Hot Car
'Miracle baby' Zariah Hasheme's mother had 6 previous miscarriages
- Demi Petrowski had six miscarriages before a "miracle baby" arrived for her and her husband, Zachary Hasheme: daughter Zariah. Now the New Mexico couple is mourning their only child after a babysitter allegedly left the 2-year-old in a hot car. Police in Hobbs say 41-year-old Tammie Brooks was tasked...
Wife Pleads for Mercy
for Husband After
Twins' Hot-Car Deaths
Jul 29, 2019 7:14 AM CDT
Wife Pleads for Mercy for Husband After Twins' Hot-Car Deaths
Marissa Rodriguez: Husband Juan Rodriguez is 'great father,' babies' deaths a 'horrific accident'
- The mother of the twin babies who died in a hot car in the Bronx on Friday says she's living her "absolute worst nightmare"—but she's sticking by her husband, calling the deaths of little Mariza and Phoenix a "horrific accident." "Though I...
He Went to Work for 8 Hours.
He Left His Babies in the Car
Jul 27, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
He Went to Work for 8 Hours. He Left His Babies in the Car
1-year-old Phoenix and Mariza died as temps soared; dad says he forgot they were in car
- A terrible story out of the Bronx, where twin babies have died after being left in a hot car. Juan Rodriguez, 39, has been charged with manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide after police say he left his infant son and daughter, said to be either 11 months or a year...
65-Year-Old Arrested After
Her 3 Dogs Die in Hot Car
Jul 23, 2019 12:33 AM CDT
65-Year-Old Arrested After Her 3 Dogs Die in Hot Car
The windows were rolled up and there was no water
- A 65-year-old Rhode Island woman has been charged with felony cruelty to animals after leaving her three dogs, including a puppy, in a car during a heat wave. Police in Jamestown say the dogs, a 4-year-old black lab, a 7-month-old black lab and a 4-year-old gray Keeshond—a breed that...
Ex-Cop Sentenced in
Child's Hot-Car Death
Apr 2, 2019 4:37 AM CDT
Ex-Cop Sentenced in Child's Hot-Car Death
Cassie Barker gets maximum 20 years
- A former Mississippi Gulf Coast police officer is headed to prison for the death of her 3-year-old daughter , who was left in a patrol car while her mom had sex with a police supervisor and fell asleep. The
of Biloxi reports ex-Long Beach police officer Cassie Barker was...
Man Trapped in Car for
13 Hours: 'Hot Is Not the Word'
Sep 10, 2018 12:15 PM CDT
Man Trapped in Car for 13 Hours: 'Hot Is Not the Word'
Perfect storm of electrical issues, no cell phone contributed to Pete Pyros' situation
- An electrical mishap sent Pete Pyros to hell last week—or what felt like it. The 75-year-old Cleveland man is sharing his story after finding himself trapped in his stiflingly hot 2006 Cadillac for 13 hours. He tells FOX 8 that he pulled into his garage and found that the...
Police: Mom Left Kids in Hot
Car, Attacked Good Samaritan
Aug 13, 2018 4:44 AM CDT
Police: Mom Left Kids in Hot Car, Attacked Good Samaritan
She's been charged with battery, child desertion
- A mother in Louisiana left her two young children locked in a hot car for around 90 minutes and then attacked one of the people who rescued them, police say. Shawnise Sherman, 22, has been charged with child desertion and battery, the
New Orleans Advocate
reports. Police say she left...
Man Cited for Damage After
Breaking Into Car to Save Dogs
Aug 3, 2018 6:40 AM CDT
Man Cited for Damage After Breaking Into Car to Save Dogs
Ohio police say Richard Hill should have waited
- An Ohio man who smashed a window to save two dogs left in a hot car received a citation for criminal damage from police officers who turned up minutes later. Richard Hill says he saw the dogs in a car in the parking lot of the Parma, Ohio, Walmart on...
Woman Faces Prison
After Dog's Hot Car Death
Jul 7, 2018 7:30 AM CDT
Woman Faces Prison After Dog's Hot Car Death
Stephanie Thomas charged with felony animal cruelty; criminal past could mean long sentence
- A woman faces charges after her dog's death inside her car on a hot Alabama summer day. Stephanie Shae Thomas was in a Trussville Walmart while her 7-year-old rescue pit bull sat inside her Mercedes in the parking lot on July 4, per WVTM . A passerby spotted the dog,...
Mom Charged With Murder
in Baby's Hot Car Death
Jun 22, 2018 4:50 PM CDT
Mom Charged With Murder in Baby's Hot Car Death
Elizabeth Marie Barhonovich, 28, allegedly left 10-month-old inside vehicle on hot day
- It's yet another fatality involving a child left in a hot car, but this one has led to murder charges. Elizabeth Marie Barhonovich, 28, of Vancleave, Mississippi, is accused of leaving her 10-month-old son in a vehicle parked outside her home on a hot day in June, reports the...
in Hot Truck as
Dad Caught a Flight
May 25, 2018 10:26 AM CDT
1-Year-Old Died in Hot Truck as Dad Caught a Flight
No charges in Nashville
- A Nashville father flew out of town on a business trip, and police say he unintentionally left his 1-year-old daughter behind in his pickup truck, a mistake that proved fatal. The man's wife, Jenny Barker, had gone to work Wednesday believing husband Matt Barker would drop off their two...
2 Tragic Baby Deaths
in 2 Days in Phoenix
Jul 31, 2017 4:33 AM CDT
2 Tragic Baby Deaths in 2 Days in Phoenix
Zane Endress, Josiah Riggins left in hot cars
- It's an avoidable tragedy that authorities across America want to make as rare as possible—but in Phoenix, it happened twice in two days. The first baby to die in a hot car in the Arizona city over the weekend was 7-month-old Zane Endress, who was left in a...
Cops: As Mom
Spent 6 Hours
Getting Hair Done,
Jul 19, 2017 10:40 AM CDT
Cops: As Mom Spent 6 Hours Getting Hair Done, Baby Died
DeKalb police say hot-car death wasn't intentional
- Two cases of youngsters losing their lives in hot cars are making headlines this week. Skylar Fowler, 1, became the first child to die in a hot car in Georgia this year in a June 15 incident that's emerging following mother Dijanelle Fowler's Monday arrest. The
Cops: Texas Mom Left Kids
in Hot Car to Teach 'Lesson'
Jun 25, 2017 8:33 AM CDT
Cops: Texas Mom Left Kids in Hot Car to Teach 'Lesson'
She initially told police children went missing, then she found them dead in the car
- A Texas mother stands charged with the deaths of her two toddlers after admitting the accidental tragedy she initially described to authorities was actually a darker one. As the
reports, Cynthia Randolph told cops that her 2-year-old daughter and 16-month-old son disappeared while playing on May 26; after...
Boy, 5, Dies After Day Care
Leaves Him in Hot Van 8 Hours
Jun 15, 2017 7:03 AM CDT
Boy, 5, Dies After Day Care Leaves Him in Hot Van 8 Hours
Arkansas day care center fires 4 workers after tragedy
- Police in Arkansas are investigating how day care workers could have left a 5-year-old boy in a sweltering van for hours, NBC News reports. Christopher Gardner Jr. was found unresponsive, strapped into a booster seat at 3:30pm on Monday. That was more than eight hours after the van had...
Popular on Newser
Great Barrier Reef Just 'Gave Birth'
New COVID Variant Is a 'Big Jump in Evolution'
Snowboarding Legend Dies in Filming Accident
WHO Names Variant; US Issues Travel Restrictions
Wrongfully Jailed at 18, He's Now a Millionaire
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.