Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Report: FEMA Took Weeks to
Get Food, Water to Puerto Rico
Oct 1, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
Report: FEMA Took Weeks to Get Food, Water to Puerto Rico
Provisions delivered to island included candy and cookies
- A US government report published Thursday found that the Federal Emergency Management Agency mismanaged the distribution of goods in Puerto Rico after hurricanes Irma and Maria, leading to delays in the delivery of food and water. The Office of the Inspector General said that it took more than two months...
How Hurricane Irma Brought a
Canadian Family Some Closure
Apr 30, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
How Hurricane Irma Brought a Canadian Family Some Closure
Artifacts of Canadian navy pilot who vanished 60 years ago turned up on Florida shore
- When Dick Troy got the news last September, "I almost buckled my knees," he tells the CBC , noting the "eerie feeling" that overtook him. What he was told over the phone by a US reporter: that wreckage from a plane and a parachute harness with the words...
Cops: FEMA Contractor
Killed Hurricane Victim
Jan 15, 2018 11:55 AM CST
Cops: FEMA Contractor Killed Hurricane Victim
Gerjuan Jackson assessed William Reiss' damage, learned of his guns
- He was a victim of Hurricane Irma, and then allegedly a victim of something much worse. Police say William Reiss, 68, was murdered on Jan. 3 by the FEMA contractor who compiled the damage estimate of his Polk County, Fla., home in September. The
New York Daily News
We Spent More Money Than
Ever on Weather Disasters
Jan 8, 2018 12:43 PM CST
We Spent More Money Than Ever on Weather Disasters
Credit 3 hurricanes, wildfires, hail, flooding, tornadoes, and drought in 2017
- With three strong hurricanes, wildfires, hail, flooding, tornadoes, and drought, the United States tallied a record high bill last year for weather disasters: $306 billion. The US had 16 disasters last year with damage exceeding a billion dollars, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Monday. That ties 2011 for...
Matt Lauer Made
at Least One
Top 10 List
Dec 13, 2017 8:00 AM CST
Matt Lauer Made at Least One Company's Top 10 List
He's up there with Hurricane Irma on Google's annual ranking of favorite searches
- Hurricane Irma and Matt Lauer were hot topics in 2017,
notes—hot enough to propel both to the top of Google's annual "Year in Search" results. Per the site, the results were culled "based on search terms that had a high spike in traffic in...
Unemployment Claims Fall to
Lowest Level Since 1973
Oct 19, 2017 12:40 PM CDT
Unemployment Claims Fall to Lowest Level Since 1973
Claims for jobless aid drop by 22K to 222K
- The number of Americans collecting unemployment benefits fell last week to the lowest level since Richard Nixon was president, the AP reports. The Labor Department said Thursday that claims for jobless aid dropped by 22,000 to 222,000, the fewest since March 1973. The less volatile four-week average slid...
Death Toll Hits 14 in
Florida Nursing Home Tragedy
Oct 9, 2017 5:21 PM CDT
Death Toll Hits 14 in Florida Nursing Home Tragedy
Two more dead from nursing home that lost air conditioning during hurricane
- Two women who lived at a Florida nursing home that lost air conditioning during Hurricane Irma have died, becoming the 13th and 14th fatalities linked to the home, the AP reports. Hollywood police spokeswoman Miranda Grossman said Monday that Cecilia Franco, 90, and Francesca Andrade, 95, died from ailments suffered...
Sep 30, 2017 10:20 AM CDT
Real-Life Jason Bourne Disappears. Again
Teacher with rare form of amnesia goes missing amid hurricane destruction
- "It's definitely made me reconsider everything. Who was I before? Who was I then—is that part of me? Who am I now?" The
New York Times
reports Hannah Upp, a 32-year-old teacher in St. Thomas, disappeared Sept. 14, a week after Hurricane Irma hit the Virgin Islands....
Sep 29, 2017 11:16 AM CDT
Beyonce Song Will Benefit Puerto Rico
It's her first release since giving birth
- Beyonce is out with a new single and music video , her first since giving birth to twins in June, and it's all to benefit hurricane relief efforts in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. The song is a remix of J Balvin and Willy William's "Mi Gente,"...
Before Residents Died, Nursing
Home Asked Governor for Help
Sep 23, 2017 4:07 PM CDT
Before Residents Died, Nursing Home Asked Governor for Help
Those messages were deleted off Gov. Rick Scott's cellphone
- At least 11 people have died since Hurricane Irma knocked out the air conditioning at their Florida nursing home . Florida Gov. Rick Scott ended funding for The Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills and suspended its license in the wake of the deaths. Now CBS Miami reports four voicemail messages left...
FEMA Makes Unfortunate
Mistake With Phone Number
Sep 21, 2017 8:29 AM CDT
FEMA Makes Unfortunate Mistake With Phone Number
Tweets out to be phone sex line instead of roof relief
- The Army Corps of Engineers has a helpful program in place called Operation Blue Roof in which Florida residents hit by Hurricane Irma can get sturdy tarps to protect their belongings until their roofs get fixed. Those interested can go to the website or call 1-888-ROOF-BLU. They should not, however,...
Dead Woman Had Temp of
109.9 in Nursing Home Tragedy
Sep 21, 2017 7:24 AM CDT
Dead Woman Had Temp of 109.9 in Nursing Home Tragedy
Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills has had license suspended
- As far as euphemisms go, "resting in bed" is an extreme one. That's how a staffer at the Florida nursing home where eight people died after Hurricane Irma knocked out its air-conditioning described an 84-year-old in a entry made in the patient's log—after the patient had...
Woman, 94, Sues 'Reckless'
Nursing Home Where 8 Died
Sep 18, 2017 2:30 AM CDT
Woman, 94, Sues 'Reckless' Nursing Home Where 8 Died
Lawsuit accuses Fla. facility of 'indifference'
- A 94-year-old woman who survived the post-Hurricane Irma air-conditioning failure that left eight people dead at a Florida nursing home is suing the facility, accusing it of "reckless and negligent indifference." A lawsuit filed on behalf of Rose Cabrera states that she's a double amputee "without...
Crime Goes to
... These Guys
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 17, 2017 6:30 AM CDT
Strangest Post-Irma Crime Goes to ... These Guys
2 suspects arrested for stealing utility pole in Jacksonville
- One way
to get your power back on quickly in the wake of hurricane: steal a utility pole. Restoring service likely wasn't the intent, however, of two men in Jacksonville, Fla., who were involved in one of the weirder post-Irma crimes yet. Per the
, the two...
Interpreter Mostly Signed
Nonsense During Irma Briefing
Sep 16, 2017 2:11 PM CDT
Interpreter Mostly Signed Nonsense During Irma Briefing
Instead of evacuation information, deaf Florida residents got 'pizza' and 'monsters'
- As Hurricane Irma was advancing on Florida, this was the message deaf residents of Manatee County received regarding a mandatory evacuation: "Help you at that time to use bear big." Jason Hurdich, a Clemson University professor and expert in American Sign Language, tells the
Irma's 'Chainsaw Sister'
Had to Google Instructions
Sep 15, 2017 9:58 AM CDT
Irma's 'Chainsaw Sister' Had to Google Instructions
Sister Margaret Ann of Miami has become an internet sensation
- The Florida nun who became an internet sensation when video emerged of her—dressed in full habit—wielding a chainsaw to clear downed trees after Hurricane Irma says she had to look up instructions on how to start the tool. "I actually had to Google it to find out...
Irma Has Devastated
Florida's Citrus Crop
Sep 15, 2017 2:06 AM CDT
Irma Has Devastated Florida's Citrus Crop
Flooded groves are full of dropped fruit
- Hurricane Irma has made things a lot tougher for Florida citrus growers already reeling from the impact of a disease that has cut harvests by 70% since 2005. The state's eastern seaboard is perhaps the best grapefruit-growing zone in the world, and growers estimate that this year's harvest...
70 Foster Kids Staying in Ex-
Exec's Fla. Mansion
Sep 14, 2017 11:00 AM CDT
70 Foster Kids Staying in Ex-
Exec's Fla. Mansion
'They hadn't showered for a week and you saw how excited they were' after Irma
- In the wake of Hurricane Irma, 70 foster children found themselves staying in some pretty fancy digs. After Marc Bell got a call from the SOS Children's Villages Florida—on whose board he sits—telling him there was no power at the facility and the children who live there...
Death Toll Hits 8
in Florida Nursing
Sep 14, 2017 7:33 AM CDT
Death Toll Hits 8 in Florida Nursing Home Tragedy
12 other patients are in emergency care
- The death toll has risen, and may continue to rise, at a Florida nursing home that lost air conditioning as a result of Hurricane Irma. Two more patients died in hospitals following the evacuation of the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills on Wednesday, bringing the total number of dead to...
Tragedy at Nursing
Home That Lost
AC During Irma
Sep 13, 2017 1:22 PM CDT
Tragedy at Nursing Home That Lost AC During Irma
6 are reported dead, possibly from extreme temperatures in Florida facility
- Six people died after losing air conditioning at a Florida nursing home whose power was knocked out by Hurricane Irma, Broward County Mayor Barbara Sharief confirmed in a press conference Wednesday. Sharief said three people died at the Rehabilitation Center at Hollywood Hills and two more were declared dead at...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Inside the Push to Stop Iceland's 'Blood Mare' Practice
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Man 'Cooked Alive' After Police Tased Him at a Gas Pump
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.