Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Parkland school shooting
Stories 1 - 20 |
Parkland School Massacre
Will Be Reenacted—Twice
Jul 13, 2023 3:37 PM CDT
Parkland School Massacre Will Be Reenacted—Twice
Both sides in civil case will get the chance to replicate the gunfire with blanks
- The 2018 Parkland high school massacre will be reenacted twice with the firing of about 140 blanks on campus as part of families' lawsuits against the former sheriff's deputy they accuse of failing to stop the gunman, a judge ruled Wednesday. Circuit Judge Carol-Lisa Phillips granted the motion from...
Parkland Victims' Families
Finally See Massacre Site
Jul 6, 2023 12:39 AM CDT
Parkland Victims' Families Finally See Massacre Site
Private tours of the high school, which will be demolished, begin
- For more than five years, the bloodstained halls and classrooms where 17 people died in the Parkland school shooting has remained locked away and mostly untouched—not even the victims' families were allowed inside. That changed Wednesday, as heart-wrenching private tours began for relatives of the 14 students and three...
Ex-Officer's School Shooting
Trial Is the First of Its Kind
Jun 8, 2023 8:57 AM CDT
Ex-Officer's School Shooting Trial Is the First of Its Kind
Scot Peterson faces felony child neglect charges in Parkland shooting
- In a case that could have major implications for policing across America, the former school resource officer who failed to enter the building where a gunman massacred 17 people in 2018 has gone on trial. Scot Peterson faces charges including seven felony counts of child neglect in connection with the...
Jun 6, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Commission: Parkland Judge Should Be Reprimanded
Elizabeth Scherer showed bias toward prosecution in trial, allowed 'emotions to overcome' judgment
- The Florida judge who oversaw the penalty trial of Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz should be publicly reprimanded for showing bias toward the prosecution, failing to curtail "vitriolic statements" directed at Cruz's attorneys, and allowing "emotions to overcome her judgment," reports the AP . The Judicial Qualifications...
May 18, 2023 9:50 AM CDT
'Children's Book' Chronicles 'My First School Shooting'
Patricia Oliver, mom of Parkland victim Joaquin Oliver, wrote book to make impact on lawmakers
- There's a new "children's book" that recently made the rounds in DC—except it's actually a book for lawmakers, penned by the mom of a 17-year-old Parkland victim.
Joaquin's First School Shooting
is written by Patricia Oliver, mother of Joaquin Oliver, who was gunned down...
Lawyer Who Flipped Bird in
Parkland Court Investigated
Nov 4, 2022 1:33 PM CDT
Lawyer Who Flipped Bird in Parkland Court Investigated
Florida Bar confirms probe involving Tamara Curtis, assistant public defender for shooter
- One of the assistant public defenders for the Parkland school shooter is now the subject of a probe herself. Per NBC Miami , the Florida Bar confirmed Thursday that Tamara Curtis is being investigated, though it's remaining tight-lipped on what the investigation entails. Local 10 reports that Curtis wasn't...
After Families Are Heard,
Judge Sentences Cruz
Nov 2, 2022 4:47 PM CDT
After Families Are Heard, Judge Sentences Cruz
Parkland killer officially receives 34 terms of life in prison
- Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz formally received a sentence of life without parole Wednesday after families of the 17 people he killed spent two days berating him as evil, a coward, a monster, and subhuman. Cruz, shackled and in a red jail jumpsuit, watched intently as Judge Elizabeth Scherer sentenced...
Tell Cruz to Go to Hell
Nov 1, 2022 1:21 PM CDT
Victim's Grandparents Tell Cruz to Go to Hell
Two-day sentencing hearing started Tuesday
- Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz's two-day sentencing hearing began Tuesday with the families of the 17 people he murdered, as well as some of the victims who survived, getting their first chance to speak to him directly. They used emotional and often angry terms to describe the devastation he...
'Crime May Have Been
Committed' in Cruz Jury Room
Oct 14, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
'Crime May Have Been Committed' in Cruz Jury Room
Prosecutors request investigation after juror describes possible threat
- Hours after a jury recommended life in prison for the school shooter in the 2018 massacre in Parkland, Fla., prosecutors requested an investigation into the deliberations and asserted that "a crime may have been committed." One juror has claimed she felt threatened by another juror during discussions, according...
Most Jurors Backed
Executing Cruz, Foreman Says
Oct 13, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Most Jurors Backed Executing Cruz, Foreman Says
3 members believe killer to be mentally ill
- A majority of the jury wanted the killer of 17 people at a Florida high school in 2018 to be executed, but three of the 12 members would not support the death penalty, the foreman said Thursday. So Nikolas Cruz was sentenced to life in prison without parole in the...
Jurors Ask to See Cruz's Gun
Oct 13, 2022 6:50 AM CDT
Jurors Ask to See Cruz's Gun
They also requested a readback of fetal alcohol testimony
- Jurors tasked with deciding whether Nikolas Cruz lives or dies have asked to see the gun he killed 17 people with. They asked to see the weapon at 5pm Wednesday, toward the end of their first day of deliberations , but Broward Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer said she was unable to...
The Life of
Soon Goes to
Oct 12, 2022 6:42 AM CDT
The Life of Parkland Shooter Soon Goes to Jury's Hands
Deliberations begin Wednesday in penalty phase of Nikolas Cruz trial
- The prosecutor and defense attorney for Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz agreed Tuesday that his 2018 attack that killed 17 people was horrible, but disagreed in their closing arguments on whether it was an act of evil worthy of execution or one of a broken person who should be imprisoned...
Expert Says Cruz Faked
Fetal Alcohol Symptoms
Oct 4, 2022 5:15 PM CDT
Expert Says Cruz Faked Fetal Alcohol Symptoms
School shooter scored low on finger-tapping test, but pulled trigger 20 times in 7 seconds
- Prosecutors spent several dull hours Tuesday trying to prove Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz purposely did poorly on tests administered to see if he suffers from fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, the primary reason his attorneys say he murdered 17 people four years ago. But after presenting dozens of charts showing...
Defense Makes Shock Move
in Cruz Case, Shouting Ensues
Sep 14, 2022 11:26 AM CDT
Defense Makes Shock Move in Cruz Case, Shouting Ensues
Judge and lead defense attorney get into it
- Attorneys for Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz suddenly and surprisingly rested their case Wednesday, leading to a shouting match after the judge accused them of a lack of professionalism. Cruz's attorneys had told the judge and prosecutors they would be calling 80 witnesses but rested at the beginning of...
Defense Expert: Small Talk
With Cruz Was Revealing
Aug 16, 2022 4:51 PM CDT
Defense Expert: Small Talk With Cruz Was Revealing
He said it's clear school shooter still has 'irrational thoughts'
- Prosecutors rested their case in Nikolas Cruz's death penalty trial on Aug. 4 ; the defense will get its turn starting Monday. In the interim, both sides are arguing before Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer about whether the brain scans, tests, and other evidence the defense wants to present is scientifically...
Jurors Head to Bloodstained
Parkland School Building
Aug 4, 2022 7:20 AM CDT
Jurors Head to Bloodstained Parkland School Building
They'll travel there Thursday under heavy security
- Jurors in the trial of Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz are expected to walk through the still blood-spattered rooms of Parkland's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Thursday in a visit to the three-story building where he murdered 14 students and three staff members four years ago. The seven-man,...
Victims' Families Leave
Cruz's Lawyers in Tears
Aug 3, 2022 8:23 AM CDT
Victims' Families Leave Cruz's Lawyers in Tears
He was 'love personified,' Victoria Gonzalez said of boyfriend Joaquin Oliver
- Attorneys representing Parkland school shooter Nikolas Cruz were moved to tears Tuesday as parents described the holes left in their lives by the loss of their children at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Assistant Public Defenders Tamara Curtis and Nawal Najet Bashiman both "had to remove their face masks...
Sat Next to
Jul 23, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Parkland Gunman Sat Next to Victim's Brother at McDonald's
John Wilford didn't know who the shooter was in aftermath of attack
- After fleeing the chaos at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., on Feb. 14, 2018, John Wilford, then a freshman, walked to a nearby McDonald's, where he waited for his mother to pick him up. He didn't yet realize his sister, Maddy, had been shot at...
Harrowing Video, Testimony
Introduced in Cruz Trial
Jul 19, 2022 7:41 PM CDT
Harrowing Video, Testimony Introduced in Cruz Trial
Survivor testifies that he tried to believe mass shooting wasn't real
- Jurors tasked with deciding whether Nikolas Cruz should get the death penalty heard harrowing testimony and viewed a graphic video Tuesday. The video—shown to jurors, and later, reporters, but not the gallery—shows Cruz stalking through a classroom building at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, firing at everybody in...
Rare School Shooting Trial
Begins in Florida
Jul 18, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Rare School Shooting Trial Begins in Florida
Jurors must decide if Parkland school gunman gets death sentence or life in prison
- The penalty trial of Florida school shooter Nikolas Cruz began on Monday, the deadliest US mass shooting to go before a jury, per the AP . Cruz, 23, pleaded guilty last October to 17 counts of first-degree murder at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in the deaths of 14 students and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.