Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Navalny Going Back to
Jan 13, 2021 6:45 AM CST
Navalny Going Back to Dangerous Territory
Opposition leader could face jail with Sunday arrival in Russia
- Now almost fully recovered from Novichok poisoning, Alexei Navalny is ready to head home. The Russian opposition leader and anti-corruption activist said Wednesday that he had purchased a plane ticket that would see him return to his home country from Germany, where he's been recovering since August, on Sunday....
Finished the Job'
Dec 17, 2020 11:35 AM CST
Putin Says Agents 'Would've Finished the Job' With Navalny
Russian president blames US for reports implicating FSB
- A hit squad employed by Russia's Federal Security Service shadowed Alexei Navalny on numerous trips before poisoning the opposition activist with Russian-made nerve agent Novichok in August, according to a joint investigation by CNN and Bellingcat . This week's reports, based on the agents' mobile phone data and other...
Navalny Describes What
Novichok Poisoning Feels Like
Oct 20, 2020 11:55 AM CDT
Navalny Describes What Novichok Poisoning Feels Like
'The brain understands that this is the end'
- Alexei Navalny felt no pain. Still, he knew he was close to death when he collapsed on a plane in August— the result of poisoning with a previously unknown type of Novichok, the Russian-developed nerve agent. "I've compared it to being touched by a Dementor in a
Navalny: No Other Version of
How Crime Was Committed
Oct 1, 2020 3:47 AM CDT
Navalny: No Other Version of How Crime Was Committed
He points a finger at Putin
- Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny, who is recovering in Germany after being poisoned in Russia by a nerve agent, accused Vladimir Putin of being behind the attack in comments released Thursday. Navalny's supporters have frequently maintained that such an attack could have only been ordered at the top levels,...
After 32 Days,
Navalny Walks Free
Sep 23, 2020 6:28 AM CDT
After 32 Days, Navalny Walks Free
'Complete recovery is possible' for Russian opposition leader who leaves hospital
- Alexei Navalny has finally left the Berlin hospital where he was treated for suspected Novichok poisoning. The Russian opposition leader was discharged on Tuesday, a few days after he posted a photo of himself walking in Charité Hospital . The hospital said his condition "has improved sufficiently for him to...
Aides: Here's How
Navalny Was Poisoned
Sep 17, 2020 6:33 AM CDT
Aides: Here's How Navalny Was Poisoned
They say nerve agent was on hotel water bottles
- The German government says there is "unequivocal proof" that Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny was poisoned with a Novichok nerve agent—and Navalny's aides say they have now found the source. An Instagram post shared Thursday shows aides searching Navalny's hotel room in the Siberian city of...
Navalny Posts First
Photo After Poisoning
Sep 15, 2020 6:37 AM CDT
Navalny Posts First Photo After Poisoning
'I miss you all,' says Putin critic from hospital bed
- The news about Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny has been getting better from the hospital, and Tuesday brings the most optimistic update yet—from Navalny himself. The 44-year-old posted a photo of himself on Instagram from his hospital room in Germany with his wife and two medical workers, reports NBC...
For Poisoned Putin Critic,
Good News From Hospital
Sep 14, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
For Poisoned Putin Critic, Good News From Hospital
Alexei Navalny is able to leave his bed in Germany
- Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny’s health has improved so that he is now able to leave his bed briefly, the Berlin hospital treating him said Monday, while Germany announced that French and Swedish labs have confirmed its findings that he was poisoned with the Soviet-era nerve agent Novichok, per...
Germany Identifies What
Navalny Was Poisoned With
Sep 2, 2020 9:36 AM CDT
Germany Identifies What Navalny Was Poisoned With
Novichok, same as Sergei Skripal
- The German government left no room for interpretation on Wednesday, saying toxicology tests returned "unequivocal proof" that Alexei Navalny was poisoned with a nerve agent from the Novichok group. Russia has denied that the opposition politician, who has been in a coma since falling ill in August on a...
'We Lost Everything'
Nov 23, 2018 8:15 AM CST
Novichok-Poisoned Cop: 'We Lost Everything'
Nick Bailey describes 'emotional battering' in first interview
- It wasn't just a police officer's health that suffered after he came into contact with Novichok left on the door handle of the home of a former Russian spy living in England. "We lost everything," Det. Sgt. Nick Bailey tells the BBC in his first interview...
Putin Has One Word
for Skripal: 'Scumbag'
Oct 3, 2018 9:06 AM CDT
Putin Has One Word for Skripal: 'Scumbag'
He thinks the ex-spy is a traitor, too
- Vladimir Putin has previously addressed the poisoning of ex-Russian spy Sergei Skripal, but never quite like this. When asked on Wednesday about sanctions imposed on Russia in the wake of the attack, Putin dismissed the ex-spy as "just a scumbag" who turned on his country, reports the AP . "...
Investigative Group Says It Has
Unmasked Novichok Suspect
Sep 26, 2018 2:27 PM CDT
Investigative Group Says It Has Unmasked Novichok Suspect
Bellingcat says Ruslan Boshirov is really Col. Anatoliy Chepiga
- As the UK has alleged , Ruslan Boshirov is not who he says he is, at least according to an online investigative group. The
reports Bellingcat and investigative partner the Insider say they have identified one of the men accused of poisoning the Skripals with novichok as a colonel with...
Novichok Suspects: We Only
Wanted to See Stonehenge
Sep 13, 2018 9:00 AM CDT
Novichok Suspects: We Only Wanted to See Stonehenge
Ruslan Boshirov, Alexander Petrov deny attack to Kremlin-funded 'RT'
- That was fast. A day after Vladimir Putin hinted at an interview , two Russians claiming to be those accused of depositing a nerve agent on the door of a former Russian spy living in England announced they were only on a sightseeing trip. Describing themselves as victims of a "...
Putin on Novichok Suspects:
'We Have Found Them'
Sep 12, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
Putin on Novichok Suspects: 'We Have Found Them'
Suggests they may appear publicly soon to defend their innocence
- Vladimir Putin says Russia has located the men named by the UK as the suspects in the poisoning of Sergei Skripal and his daughter. "We know who they are, we have found them," he said. "I hope they will turn up themselves and tell everything. This would...
How a Perfume Bottle of
Novichok Allegedly Got to UK
Sep 6, 2018 8:14 AM CDT
How a Perfume Bottle of Novichok Allegedly Got to UK
UK authorities say it was flown from Moscow as fake Nina Ricci perfume
- The two men blended in with crowds in Salisbury, which was hosting its weekly Saturday market, then slipped away within a couple of hours. They returned the next day and, in broad daylight, allegedly sprayed the door handle of the home of former Russian spy Sergei Skripal with Novichok nerve...
Chemical Attack in UK Leads
to US Sanctions on Russia
Aug 8, 2018 4:15 PM CDT
Chemical Attack in UK Leads to US Sanctions on Russia
The State Department is retaliating for the poisoning of Sergei Skripal
- The US is poised to impose sanctions on Russia in retaliation for a March nerve agent attack on a former Russian double agent and his daughter. Per BBC , US investigators have determined the country is behind the March 4 poisoning of Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia Skripal, who were...
Jul 24, 2018 3:33 PM CDT
Novichok Victim Describes the Moment Girlfriend Fell Ill
Charlie Rowley says he found bottle of what appeared to be perfume, gave it to Dawn Sturgess
- Charlie Rowley found a sealed box of perfume and gave it to his girlfriend, Dawn Sturgess. She sprayed some on her wrists, and within 15 minutes, was complaining of a headache. Just moments after that, "she said she felt peculiar and needed to lie down in the bath, which...
Britain May Have Spotted
Russian Suspects in Poisonings
Jul 19, 2018 6:46 AM CDT
Britain May Have Spotted Russian Suspects in Poisonings
Two reports say that authorities identified at least two people in airport surveillance
- It looks like Britain may have identified at least two suspects in the Novichok poisonings—and they're Russians. Authorities have not publicly made any announcement, but CNN and the British news agency the Press Association (here via the BBC ) are each reporting the development. Investigators pored over surveillance...
Fox Host Asks Putin the
Questions Trump Didn't
Jul 17, 2018 6:09 AM CDT
Fox Host Asks Putin the Questions Trump Didn't
Chris Wallace wanted to know why Russian leader's rivals end up dead
- With President Trump apparently unable or unwilling to ask Vladimir Putin tough questions, US interests were represented in Helsinki by ... Chris Wallace? The Fox host's interview with the Russian leader , which aired Monday night, was a testy affair, with Putin clearly unhappy about a journalist challenging him, the
Deadly Nerve Agent May Have
Been in Perfume Bottle
Jul 16, 2018 1:41 PM CDT
Deadly Nerve Agent May Have Been in Perfume Bottle
Brother of one of 2 recent Novichok victims in UK identifies the apparent source
- The British woman who died last month after being exposed to a nerve agent may have poisoned herself with a spritz from a perfume bottle. Dawn Sturgess' boyfriend also was exposed, and his brother tells the BBC that authorities have identified the source of the toxin Novichok that killed Sturgess...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.