Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 27 |
Makes 'Unusual' Shift
Sep 12, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Hurricane Florence's Projected Path Makes 'Unusual' Shift
The storm may turn left
- Hurricane Florence is still expected to make landfall in the Carolinas, but from there the path may be changing.
reports the storm had been predicted to amble northward but may now instead slow and twist toward the left, putting South Carolina in greater jeopardy (see this map )....
Florence's Quiet Potential
Disaster: Hog Manure
Sep 12, 2018 6:50 AM CDT
Florence's Quiet Potential Disaster: Hog Manure
NC farmers fear hurricane will overflow or collapse lagoons
- Manure lagoons are about as pleasant as they sound—vast open-air ponds of manure located next to the many hog farms near the North Carolina coast. With Hurricane Florence set to wallop the area as a Category 4 hurricane, there are fears the ponds could overflow or even collapse amid...
Sep 11, 2018 4:28 PM CDT
Trump Has Controversial Words About Hurricane Maria
As he warns about Hurricane Florence
- With a powerful hurricane bearing down on the southeast coast , President Donald Trump on Tuesday turned attention back to the federal government's response to Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico a year ago, deeming it "incredibly successful" even though a recent federal report found that nearly 3,000 people...
Category 4 Hurricane
Devastating East Coast
Sep 11, 2018 2:40 PM CDT
Simulation Showed Category 4 Hurricane Devastating East Coast
Florence is Category 4, expected to strike the area shown in simulation
- Just months ago, disaster planners simulated a Category 4 hurricane strike alarmingly similar to the real-word scenario now unfolding on a dangerously vulnerable stretch of the East Coast. A fictional "Hurricane Cora" barreled into southeast Virginia and up the Chesapeake Bay to strike Washington, DC, in the narrative created...
1M Ordered to Evacuate
as Florence Approaches
Sep 11, 2018 6:21 AM CDT
1M Ordered to Evacuate as Florence Approaches
Hurricane is 'very Harvey-esque'
- "We're not going to gamble with the lives of the people of South Carolina," says Gov. Henry McMaster, who has ordered the mandatory evacuation of the state's entire coastline, effective noon Tuesday, as Hurricane Florence closes in. McMaster says lanes on four main roads leading from...
to Hurricane Florence: 'Wow'
Sep 10, 2018 1:05 PM CDT
Meteorologist's Reaction to Hurricane Florence: 'Wow'
It's now a Category 4 storm with 115mph winds
- Meteorologist Eric Holthaus had a three-letter reaction to the news that Hurricane Florence is now a category 4 storm with 115mph winds and higher gusts. "Wow," he tweeted . Most other reports are using the word "catastrophic," in keeping with how the National Hurricane Center describes a...
Here Comes Florence
Sep 10, 2018 6:38 AM CDT
East Coast, Here Comes Florence
Carolinas, Virginia bracing for hurricane later this week
- Rapidly intensifying Hurricane Florence could strike a direct and dangerous blow anywhere from the Carolinas to the Mid-Atlantic region later this week, reports the AP . Florence crossed the 74mph threshold from tropical storm to a hurricane Sunday morning. Forecasters in the National Hurricane Center in Miami said Florence was expected...
Stories 21 - 27 |
Popular on Newser
Sexual Link Investigated in Monkeypox Outbreak
Zelensky Suggests New Talks, on One Condition
Trump Jr. Killed a Bear, and His Guide May Go to Prison
Jif Recalls Peanut Butter
In These 10 Cities, Open Up Your Wallet to Buy a Home
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.