Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
death by selfie
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker
Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Jan 27, 2022 9:51 AM CST
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
Richard Jacobson, 21, fell 700 feet while trying to take midnight photo at Flatiron Peak near Phoenix
- A 21-year-old man died this week when he tried to snap a selfie from a mountain peak in Arizona and fell 700 feet. The Pinal County Sheriff's Office received a call just before 1am Monday from a friend of the man, who'd been camping overnight in the area...
Mom Falls to Death
at 'Perfect Selfie' Spot
Dec 14, 2020 10:50 AM CST
Mom Falls to Death at 'Perfect Selfie' Spot
Rosy Loomba climbed past safety barriers, warning signs at Australian national park, police say
- A weekend family outing turned tragic after a mom plummeted to her death off a cliff in front of her husband and two young sons while trying to take a photo. News.com.au reports that 38-year-old Rosy Loomba was hiking with her family Saturday in Grampians National Park, in...
They Were Trying to Take a
Selfie, but 4 Ended Up Dead
Oct 8, 2019 11:27 AM CDT
They Were Trying to Take a Selfie, but 4 Ended Up Dead
Teen slips underwater, dragging relatives with him
- A horrifying story out of India, where family members trying to take a selfie at a dam ended up slipping into the water, resulting in four deaths. The dead include a 20-year-old newlywed bride and three of her relatives (different outlets report different ages). Her new husband, 25, survived and...
She Reportedly Died Taking a
Pic. That's Not What Happened
in case you missed it
Jun 8, 2019 11:29 AM CDT
She Reportedly Died Taking a Pic. That's Not What Happened
35-year-old mom was reaching for tree branch when she went over waterfall in California
- A death in California last Friday is still a tragedy, just not quite the one initially thought. Although it was reported that a 35-year-old mom—identified by the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office as Dina Espinosa, though a GoFundMe set up in her name calls her Stephanie—had fallen...
She Was Snapping
Pics of the Falls.
Then She Slipped
Jun 1, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
She Was Snapping Pics of the Falls. Then She Slipped
Officials warn others about selfies, other photos after woman dies in California
- Another death linked to a picture-taking session, this time in California. Fire officials say the body of a "young woman" was found Friday in a bay at Emerald Bay State Park, which is in South Lake Tahoe, per Fox News . "Crews from the Tahoe Truckee Regional Rescue Team...
Camera Sitting on Tripod Led
to Discovery of Couple's Bodies
Oct 31, 2018 7:50 AM CDT
Camera Sitting on Tripod Led to Discovery of Couple's Bodies
Vishnu Viswanath's brother says they were taking a selfie when they fell at Yosemite
- The couple who fell to their deaths in Yosemite National Park last week did so while taking a selfie, Vishnu Viswanath's brother said Tuesday. Viswanath, 29, and his wife, 30-year-old Meenakshi Moorthy, set up their tripod near a ledge at a scenic overlook in the California park, Jishnu Viswanath...
Study Tallies Body Count
of Selfies Turned Deadly
Oct 3, 2018 12:33 PM CDT
Study Tallies Body Count of Selfies Turned Deadly
The estimate is over 250 worldwide
- A study investigating the increasing problem of fatalities that stem from victims taking selfies in dangerous locales has placed a body count on the preventable tragedy, per the
. In the study titled "Selfies: A boon or bane?" researchers published findings in the
Journal of Family Medicine and
Popular on Newser
Musk Kicks Kanye West Off Twitter
NYC Job Will Pay Up to $170K, but It's a 'Daunting' One
Orange Is the New Black Star Dead at 56
Cops: Woman Shut Off Roomie's Ventilator Because Sound Bothered Her
After Broadcaster Mocks Him, NHL Player Has Classy Response
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.