Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Synagogue Shooter Is
Given Death Sentence
Aug 2, 2023 11:31 AM CDT
Synagogue Shooter Is Given Death Sentence
Robert Bowers killed 11 people in Pittsburgh in 2018, the nation's deadliest antisemitic attack
- The gunman who stormed a synagogue in the heart of Pittsburgh's Jewish community and killed 11 worshippers will be sentenced to death for perpetrating the deadliest antisemitic attack in US history. The same federal jury that convicted 50-year-old truck driver Robert Bowers on 63 criminal counts recommended Wednesday that...
In Deadliest Antisemitic
Attack in US History, a Verdict
Jun 16, 2023 1:29 PM CDT
In Deadliest Antisemitic Attack in US History, a Verdict
Truck driver Robert Bowers is found guilty of killing 11 in Pittsburgh's Tree of Life synagogue shooting
- A truck driver who expressed hatred of Jews was convicted Friday of barging into a Pittsburgh synagogue and shooting everyone he could find, killing 11 congregants in an act of antisemitic terror for which he could be sentenced to die. The guilty verdict was a foregone conclusion after Robert Bowers'...
Trial Begins in Deadliest
Antisemitic Attack in US History
May 30, 2023 2:43 PM CDT
Trial Begins in Deadliest Antisemitic Attack in US History
Robert Bowers is on trial for the 11 deaths at the Tree of Life Synagogue
- Prosecutors on Tuesday described how a heavily armed suspect barged into a Pittsburgh synagogue and shot every worshipper he could find in the deadliest antisemitic attack in US history, per the AP . Robert Bowers' federal trial got underway more than four years after the shooting deaths of 11 worshippers at...
'The Point Was to Terrify
the Jewish People Here'
Feb 3, 2023 2:00 AM CST
'The Point Was to Terrify the Jewish People Here'
Man fires what may have been blanks in San Francisco synagogue
- Police in San Francisco are investigating a shooting inside a synagogue during which the unidentified suspect may have fired blanks rather than live rounds Wednesday night in what a synagogue official called an attempt to terrorize Jewish people. The synagogue did not report the incident until Thursday morning, the AP...
Rabbi Injured in Attack
Is Going to Prison
Jan 6, 2022 8:41 AM CST
Rabbi Injured in Attack Is Going to Prison
Yisroel Goldstein pleaded guilty to scamming the IRS with tax fraud schemes
- "I stand here today, my head bowed in shame, remorse and disappointment over the crimes that I have committed to God and mankind," Rabbi Yisroel Goldstein told a hearing Tuesday, where he was sentenced to 14 months for his crimes against the Internal Revenue Service. The 60-year-old rabbi,...
Oct 1, 2021 3:31 PM CDT
Calif. Synagogue Gunman Hears His Fate
John T. Earnest gets life without parole for killing one person, injuring 3 in 2019 Poway shooting
- Before John T. Earnest was sentenced Thursday for fatally gunning down one person and injuring three others, including a young girl, in a 2019 shooting at a Southern California synagogue, his lawyer asked if he could make a statement. The response of San Diego Superior Court Judge Peter Deddeh in...
Shooting Suspect Was Unable
to Get Past Synagogue's Doors
Oct 10, 2019 6:15 AM CDT
Shooting Suspect Was Unable to Get Past Synagogue's Doors
Twitch says livestreamed Germany attack had more than 2K viewers
- An attack that killed two people near a synagogue in eastern Germany Wednesday was livestreamed and watched by more than 2,000 people, streaming site Twitch has confirmed. The site says its "investigation suggests that people were coordinating and sharing the video via other online messaging services," the...
They Were Honoring
Judaism's Holiest Day
When Gunman Arrived
Oct 9, 2019 11:48 AM CDT
They Were Honoring Judaism's Holiest Day When Gunman Arrived
2 killed near synagogue in German city of Halle
- A suspect is in custody, but one or more others are believed to have fled, after a fatal shooting that appeared to target a German synagogue on Judaism's holiest day. Gunmen tried to enter the synagogue in the east-central city of Halle, where 70 to 80 worshipers had gathered...
Synagogue Suspect Pleads
Not Guilty to 109 Charges
May 15, 2019 12:23 AM CDT
Synagogue Suspect Pleads Not Guilty to 109 Charges
John Earnest faces federal hate crime charges
- The man suspected of killing a woman in a shooting at a southern California synagogue pleaded not guilty to 109 federal hate crime charges Tuesday. John T. Earnest spoke twice during the brief hearing—to acknowledge his name and to say he agreed with his court-appointed attorney's decision against...
Synagogue Suspect's Parents:
He's Now Part of
'History of Evil'
Apr 30, 2019 6:35 AM CDT
Synagogue Suspect's Parents: He's Now Part of 'History of Evil'
FBI got a tip minutes before shooting
- The FBI says it received tips Saturday morning about a potential mass shooting targeting Jews—but it didn't have time to act. A California man identified only as Colin, 25, tells BuzzFeed that he was browsing the 8chan bulletin board, which is notorious for racist content, out of curiosity...
Iraq Vet Rushed
Apr 29, 2019 6:59 AM CDT
Iraq Vet Rushed Synagogue Shooter
Woman killed in attack tried to protect rabbi
- Lori Kaye, the woman killed in Saturday's attack on a California synagogue , died a hero, witnesses say. When the gunman opened fire, the 60-year-old jumped in front of Yisroel Goldstein, the Poway synagogue's founding rabbi, witnesses say. Family friend Roneet Lev tells the
San Diego Union-Tribune
for Mosque Arson
Apr 28, 2019 5:47 AM CDT
Synagogue Shooting Suspect Investigated for Mosque Arson
19-year-old John T. Earnest is charged in shooting that killed 1
- Police are digging into the background of the 19-year-old man being held in the California synagogue shooting that killed one and injured three on Saturday, reports the
San Diego Union-Tribune .
John T. Earnest apparently penned a lengthy anti-Semitic manifesto detailing his "disgust" for Jewish people and expressing admiration for...
Gunman Kills 1, Wounds 3
in Passover Shooting
Apr 27, 2019 3:35 PM CDT
Gunman Kills 1, Wounds 3 in Passover Shooting
A suspect was detained near the crime scene
- A gunman opened fire in a California synagogue Saturday and took a woman's life in what authorities are calling a hate crime, the
New York Times
reports. The attacker—described as white, 19, and using an AR-style gun—also wounded three others, including the rabbi, who was shot in...
Plea in Synagogue
Feb 11, 2019 10:30 AM CST
Suspect Enters Plea in Synagogue Shooting
Robert Bowers tells federal court that he is not guilty
- A truck driver accused of killing 11 people and wounding seven during an attack on a Pittsburgh synagogue has pleaded not guilty to a new indictment that added 19 additional counts. Forty-six-year-old Robert Bowers was in federal court Monday to enter his plea, reports the AP . His attorney, Judy Clarke,...
A First for Big Speech:
a Birthday Serenade
state of the union
Feb 5, 2019 9:38 PM CST
A First for Big Speech: a Birthday Serenade
Holocaust survivor Judah Samet gets impromptu tribute
- One of the nicer moments from Tuesday night's State of the Union address came after President Trump paid tribute to Judah Samet, who survived the Holocaust as a boy and narrowly avoided being killed at the synagogue shooting in Pittsburgh last year. When Trump mentioned that it was Samet'...
Near Shooting Site, a New
Sign of Anti-Semitism
Dec 9, 2018 3:27 PM CST
Near Shooting Site, a New Sign of Anti-Semitism
Authorities probe pamphlets in Pittsburgh neighborhoods
- Authorities are investigating the dissemination of anti-Semitic pamphlets in Pittsburgh neighborhoods, including the one in which a gunman killed 11 people in a synagogue in October, the AP reports. A spokesman says police and the city department of public safety "are taking this matter very seriously and will follow...
Mystery Hockey Fan:
I Don't Want Your $19K
Nov 10, 2018 3:20 PM CST
Mystery Hockey Fan: I Don't Want Your $19K
The Jewish Federation of Greater Pittsburgh gets his winnings
- A Washington Capitals fan managed to donate over $19,000 to people in need and teach his son a lesson about hatred at the same time, the
reports. The fan—who chooses to remain anonymous—was leaving a Capitals-Penguins game with his son Wednesday at Capital One Arena...
He Yelled 'Death
to All Jews.' Then
a Jewish Nurse
Nov 5, 2018 7:11 AM CST
He Yelled 'Death to All Jews.' Then a Jewish Nurse Treated Him
Ari Mahler describes the 'empathy' he decided to show a wounded Robert Bowers
- An Allegheny General Hospital nurse who treated Robert Bowers, the man suspected of killing 11 at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh, after the shooting has stepped forward via a public Facebook post , and he clarifies his identity: "I am The Jewish Nurse." His name is Ari...
Trump Visit to Synagogue
Oct 31, 2018 1:43 AM CDT
Thousands Protest Trump Visit to Synagogue
First couple paid their respects to victims of worst US anti-Semitic massacre
- President Trump and Melania Trump made a controversial visit to Pittsburgh on Tuesday to pay their respects to the 11 people killed in Saturday's synagogue mass shooting. The visit was opposed by local officials, including Democratic Mayor Bill Peduto, but not by Rabbi Jeffrey Myers, who led them inside...
Mike Pence Causes Outrage
With 'Christian Rabbi'
Oct 30, 2018 6:48 AM CDT
Mike Pence Causes Outrage With 'Christian Rabbi'
Alleged shooter appears in court in wheelchair
- Mike Pence is taking flak for what critics say was an extremely insensitive choice of rabbi at a campaign event Monday night. The vice president invited Rabbi Loren Jacobs to the stage at the event in suburban Detroit to offer a prayer for victims of the Pittsburgh mass shooting, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.