Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Growing Threat to Sea Levels:
Aug 29, 2022 11:12 AM CDT
Growing Threat to Sea Levels: 'Zombie Ice'
Melting Greenland ice sheet expected to lose 3% of its mass, no matter what
- "Zombie ice" from the massive Greenland ice sheet will eventually raise the global sea level by at least 10 inches on its own, according to a study released Monday. Zombie (aka doomed) ice is ice that's still attached to thicker areas of ice but is no longer getting...
Everest Ice: 2K Years
to Form, 25 to Melt
Feb 4, 2022 10:52 AM CST
Everest Ice: 2K Years to Form, 25 to Melt
Study documents rapid retreat of glacier
- The ice atop Mount Everest took roughly 2,000 years to form and about 25 years to melt, according to a new study, which suggests that even one of the highest glaciers on the planet is retreating as a result of climate change. Researchers traveled to the highest glacier on...
Mountain Glaciers Are
Melting at an Alarming Rate
Apr 28, 2021 3:20 PM CDT
Mountain Glaciers Are Melting at an Alarming Rate
They're losing 328B tons of ice and snow a year
- Glaciers are melting faster, losing 31% more snow and ice per year than they did 15 years earlier, according to three-dimensional satellite measurements of all the world’s mountain glaciers. Scientists blame human-caused climate change. Using 20 years of recently declassified satellite data, scientists calculated that the world’s 220,...
Plaque Honors Melted Glacier
Aug 18, 2019 9:52 AM CDT
Plaque Honors Melted Glacier
Ceremony in Iceland to include a warning about climate change
- With a bronze plaque, a ceremony, and a warning that more will follow, Iceland on Sunday is marking the loss of its first glacier to climate change. Researchers from Iceland and the US, as well as the nation's prime minister and Mary Robinson, former UN Human Rights Commissioner and...
Greenland: Melting Glaciers
Open Up Vast Sand Deposits
in case you missed it
Feb 16, 2019 7:30 AM CST
Greenland: Melting Glaciers Open Up Vast Sand Deposits
Mining sand could deliver huge economic boost
- In a strangely positive twist to climate change, a new study finds that Greenland could become a major exporter of sand as its glaciers disappear into the sea. As global temperatures rise, the island's vast ice sheet is rapidly melting away, and large amounts of sediments are being washed...
Popular on Newser
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.