Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Receding Glacier Relinquishes
a 2-Decade-Old Body, With ID
in case you missed it
Aug 26, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Receding Glacier Relinquishes a 2-Decade-Old Body, With ID
Body of man thought to have died in 2001 found alongside bag carrying ID
- The body of a man thought to have died more than two decades ago has been found amidst a melting glacier in the Austrian Alps. A mountain guide discovered the remains Friday on Schlatenkees glacier in Tyrol province at an altitude of about 9,500 feet. Lienz Alpine Police later...
In Alaska, a Big Tourist Draw
Is Turning Into a Threat
Aug 7, 2023 9:40 AM CDT
In Alaska, a Big Tourist Draw Is Turning Into a Threat
Record flooding related to Mendenhall Glacier hits capital city of Juneau
- Three words no Alaskan wants to hear strung together: "record glacier flooding." But that's the current reality for residents of the capital city of Juneau, thanks to a famous glacier that sits above the city, reports Axios . The
frames the big picture after the weekend...
Most of World's Glaciers Might
Not Make It Much Longer
Jan 7, 2023 5:30 AM CST
Most of World's Glaciers Might Not Make It Much Longer
Scientists say if current climate-change trends hold, two-thirds of them could melt by end of century
- The world's glaciers are shrinking and disappearing faster than scientists thought, with two-thirds of them projected to melt out of existence by the end of the century if current climate change trends hold, according to a new study. But if the world can limit future warming to just a...
Swiss Alps Are Melting
Faster Than Ever: Study
Sep 28, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Swiss Alps Are Melting Faster Than Ever: Study
Ice volume has decreased 6% in 2022, experts say
- Switzerland's glaciers are melting like never before, an academic study released Wednesday found, with their ice volume declining by 6% this year, which included a summer heat wave that swept across Europe. The Swiss Academy of Sciences reported that the shrinkage of ice in the country's glaciers topped...
Growing Threat to Sea Levels:
Aug 29, 2022 11:12 AM CDT
Growing Threat to Sea Levels: 'Zombie Ice'
Melting Greenland ice sheet expected to lose 3% of its mass, no matter what
- "Zombie ice" from the massive Greenland ice sheet will eventually raise the global sea level by at least 10 inches on its own, according to a study released Monday. Zombie (aka doomed) ice is ice that's still attached to thicker areas of ice but is no longer getting...
Everest Ice: 2K Years
to Form, 25 to Melt
Feb 4, 2022 10:52 AM CST
Everest Ice: 2K Years to Form, 25 to Melt
Study documents rapid retreat of glacier
- The ice atop Mount Everest took roughly 2,000 years to form and about 25 years to melt, according to a new study, which suggests that even one of the highest glaciers on the planet is retreating as a result of climate change. Researchers traveled to the highest glacier on...
Mountain Glaciers Are
Melting at an Alarming Rate
Apr 28, 2021 3:20 PM CDT
Mountain Glaciers Are Melting at an Alarming Rate
They're losing 328B tons of ice and snow a year
- Glaciers are melting faster, losing 31% more snow and ice per year than they did 15 years earlier, according to three-dimensional satellite measurements of all the world’s mountain glaciers. Scientists blame human-caused climate change. Using 20 years of recently declassified satellite data, scientists calculated that the world’s 220,...
Plaque Honors Melted Glacier
Aug 18, 2019 9:52 AM CDT
Plaque Honors Melted Glacier
Ceremony in Iceland to include a warning about climate change
- With a bronze plaque, a ceremony, and a warning that more will follow, Iceland on Sunday is marking the loss of its first glacier to climate change. Researchers from Iceland and the US, as well as the nation's prime minister and Mary Robinson, former UN Human Rights Commissioner and...
Greenland: Melting Glaciers
Open Up Vast Sand Deposits
in case you missed it
Feb 16, 2019 7:30 AM CST
Greenland: Melting Glaciers Open Up Vast Sand Deposits
Mining sand could deliver huge economic boost
- In a strangely positive twist to climate change, a new study finds that Greenland could become a major exporter of sand as its glaciers disappear into the sea. As global temperatures rise, the island's vast ice sheet is rapidly melting away, and large amounts of sediments are being washed...
Popular on Newser
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
Cops Drew Their Guns. They Didn't Expect What Came Next
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.