Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Mosque Shooter's Sentence
Is a First for New Zealand
Aug 27, 2020 1:56 AM CDT
Mosque Shooter's Sentence Is a First for New Zealand
Brenton Harrison Tarrant sentenced to life without possibility of parole
- The white supremacist who slaughtered 51 worshippers at two New Zealand mosques was sentenced Thursday to life in prison without the possibility of parole, the first time a court in the country had sentenced someone to prison for the remainder of their life, the AP reports. Judge Cameron Mander said...
Gunman Could Get Sentence
NZ Has Never Imposed Before
Aug 24, 2020 2:03 PM CDT
Gunman Could Get Sentence NZ Has Never Imposed Before
Survivors confront mosque shooter Brenton Tarrant during sentencing hearing
- Brenton Tarrant has admitted carrying out the worst mass shooting in New Zealand's history—and he could receive the harshest sentence the country has imposed since it abolished the death penalty decades ago. The 29-year-old Australian appeared in a Christchurch court Monday on the first day of a four-day...
Bowl Haircut, 'OK' Hand
Gesture Labeled Hate Symbols
Sep 26, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Bowl Haircut, 'OK' Hand Gesture Labeled Hate Symbols
Anti-Defamation League adds them to database
- The "OK" hand gesture, a mass killer's bowl-style haircut, and an anthropomorphic moon wearing sunglasses are among 36 new entries in a Jewish civil rights group's online database of hate symbols used by white supremacists and other far-right extremists, per the AP . The Anti-Defamation League has added...
Letter From Alleged Mosque
Gunman Appears on 4Chan
Aug 14, 2019 4:50 AM CDT
Letter From Alleged Mosque Gunman Appears on 4Chan
'This cannot happen again,' prison minister says
- New Zealand officials admitted Wednesday that they made a mistake by allowing the man accused of killing 51 people at two Christchurch mosques to send a hand-written letter from his prison cell. The six-page letter from Brenton Tarrant was posted this week on the website 4chan, which has become notorious...
NZ Mosque Suspect Smirks,
Doesn't Speak, During Hearing
Jun 14, 2019 3:00 AM CDT
NZ Mosque Suspect Smirks, Doesn't Speak, During Hearing
Brenton Tarrant's lawyer enters not guilty pleas
- The man accused of the New Zealand mosque attacks smirked as his lawyer entered not guilty pleas to terrorism, murder, and attempted murder charges Friday before a judge who set his trial for next May. The courtroom was filled with 80 survivors and family members of the 51 who were...
7 Weeks After Christchurch
Massacre, a New Death Toll
May 3, 2019 12:20 AM CDT
7 Weeks After Christchurch Massacre, a New Death Toll
51st victim dies after surgery
- A Turkish man wounded in the Christchurch mosque shootings seven weeks ago died late Thursday in Christchurch Hospital, raising the death toll to 51, authorities in New Zealand and Turkey confirmed. New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Friday the sad news would be felt across both countries, the AP...
NZ Shooting Suspect 'Has
No Emotion' During Hearing
Apr 5, 2019 12:46 AM CDT
NZ Shooting Suspect 'Has No Emotion' During Hearing
Man charged in mosque shootings ordered to undergo mental health check
- A New Zealand judge has ordered that the man accused of killing 50 people at two Christchurch mosques undergo two mental health assessments to determine if he's fit to stand trial. High Court judge Cameron Mander made the order during a Friday hearing in which 28-year-old Australian Brenton Harrison...
Tight Restrictions Surround
Mosque Shooting Suspect
Apr 4, 2019 12:10 AM CDT
Tight Restrictions Surround Mosque Shooting Suspect
Brenton Tarrant will make 2nd court appearance Friday
- Police say the man accused of the Christchurch mosque attacks will face 50 murder charges and 39 attempted murder charges at his second court appearance on Friday. Australian citizen Brenton Harrison Tarrant was charged with one representative count of murder after his arrest the day of the March 15 massacre,...
NZ Mass Shooting Suspect
'Doesn't Want a Lawyer'
Mar 18, 2019 6:41 AM CDT
NZ Mass Shooting Suspect 'Doesn't Want a Lawyer'
Homes of Tarrant's mother, sister searched
- The Australian man accused of massacring 50 people in two New Zealand mosques has decided to represent himself, according to the duty lawyer he was assigned after his arrest. Richard Peters, the New Zealand system's equivalent of a public defender, tells the
New Zealand Herald
that Brenton Tarrant seemed...
'We Are So Sorry': Suspect's
Family Speaks Out
Mar 17, 2019 6:24 AM CDT
'We Are So Sorry': Suspect's Family Speaks Out
Police say Brenton Tarrant is now believed to have acted alone
- Three people were arrested after the twin mosque attacks in New Zealand, but police now think main suspect Brenton Tarrant of Australia acted alone, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Police had picked up a woman and another man, but New Zealand police commissioner Mike Bush says it now appears they...
Guns Used in Massacre Had
Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
Mar 15, 2019 1:28 PM CDT
Guns Used in Massacre Had Reference to 11-Year-Old Girl
She was killed in 2017 terror attack, and her father is angry gunman cited her
- Stories are filtering in about what took place Friday during the mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, that killed at least 49, and by all accounts they're terrifying. ABC News reports on worshippers diving under benches and leaping over fences to get away from the gunfire,...
Popular on Newser
DeSantis: Wish I'd Been 'Much Louder' Against Trump's COVID Move
Cruise Cancels at Sea, Stranding Passengers
Maxwell Agrees to Revealing Identities of Men in Lawsuit
'Chaos' at Friday Night Concert After Mass Shooting
Chris Evert: I Have Cancer My Late Sister Had
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.