Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Conception dive boat
Boat Captain Hit With Rare
Charges in Fire That Killed 34
Dec 2, 2020 12:23 AM CST
Boat Captain Hit With Rare Charges in Fire That Killed 34
Federal 'seaman's manslaughter' charges filed in devastating Conception scuba boat fire
- The captain of a scuba diving boat that caught fire and sank off the coast of California last year, killing 34 people who were trapped below deck, was indicted Tuesday on federal manslaughter charges for one of the deadliest maritime disasters in recent US history, the AP reports. Jerry Boylan,...
Investigators Share What They
Know About Maritime Disaster
Oct 21, 2020 11:15 AM CDT
Investigators Share What They Know About Maritime Disaster
34 people died on the Conception in September 2019
- After a 13-month effort, investigators say they won't be able to determine the definitive cause of the dive boat fire that killed all 33 passengers and one crew member in September 2019. The National Transportation Safety Board was told at a virtual hearing on Tuesday that though the Conception...
Coroner: All Victims
of Dive Boat Fire Died
of Smoke Inhalation
May 22, 2020 7:05 AM CDT
Coroner: All Victims of Dive Boat Fire Died of Smoke Inhalation
34 who perished on Conception in 2019 suffered carbon monoxide poisoning
- Coroner's reports for the 34 victims who died in a scuba boat fire off the Southern California coast last year show they died of carbon monoxide poisoning before they were burned, authorities said Thursday. All 33 scuba divers and one crew member died in the Sept. 2 fire aboard...
After Dive Boat Fire
Sep 13, 2019 1:02 AM CDT
'Seaman's Manslaughter' Charges Possible After Dive Boat Fire
NTSB says all 6 crew members were asleep
- A California scuba dive boat was operating in violation of Coast Guard regulations when crew members were sleeping and a pre-dawn fire killed 34 people, leaving grieving families wondering if a required night watchman could have saved their loved ones. Thursday brought a disclosure from the National Transportation Safety Board...
Final Victim of
Dive Boat Disaster
Sep 12, 2019 7:05 AM CDT
Final Victim of Dive Boat Disaster Recovered
Coast Guard issues new safety recommendations
- The body of the only victim still missing after the Labor Day diving boat disaster was recovered by divers Wednesday, authorities say. The bodies of 33 other victims who died in the fire off California's Santa Cruz Island were recovered earlier. "The Conception Incident Unified Command is relieved...
FBI Searches Offices
of Dive Boat Owner
Sep 9, 2019 4:15 AM CDT
FBI Searches Offices of Dive Boat Owner
Agents also searched company's 2 other boats
- Federal agents investigating the dive boat disaster that killed 34 people a week ago served search warrants Sunday at the headquarters of Truth Aquatics, the company that owned the Conception. Lt. Eric Raney with the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office tells the
Los Angeles Times
that agents from the...
Dive Boat Owner Sues to Avoid
Liability After Fire That Killed 34
Sep 8, 2019 3:50 PM CDT
Dive Boat Owner Sues to Avoid Liability After Fire That Killed 34
Truth Aquatics owns the Conception, which caught fire and sank off the California coast
- Truth Aquatics, the owner of the Conception dive boat that caught fire and sank off the California coast Monday, sparked controversy when it filed a lawsuit seeking to avoid liability in the deaths of 33 passengers and one crew member in the tragedy. But the family that owns the company...
Killed in Dive Boat
Fire Dreamed of
'Being a Pirate'
Sep 5, 2019 3:40 PM CDT
Crew Member Killed in Dive Boat Fire Dreamed of 'Being a Pirate'
Friends, family remember Allie Kurtz
- Allie Kurtz gave up a job in the movie industry to live her dream of working on the water, and when she landed a job as deckhand on a scuba diving boat, she was thrilled. She was on that boat, the Conception, when it caught fire and sank Monday off...
2 Theories Emerge
in Dive Boat Tragedy
Sep 5, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
2 Theories Emerge in Dive Boat Tragedy
Diver points to phone-charging station in galley; Conception designer thinks it began in bunk room
- A crew member who escaped the Conception dive boat almost immediately suspected a galley charging station as the source of the blaze. Shirley Hansen, who assisted survivors of California's worst maritime disaster since the 1800s from her boat near Santa Cruz Island on Monday, says the crew member described...
Dive Boat Owner: 'No Way'
Crew Abandoned Passengers
Sep 4, 2019 2:48 PM CDT
Dive Boat Owner: 'No Way' Crew Abandoned Passengers
33 bodies have been recovered in California tragedy
- Just one person remains missing in California's devastating dive boat fire, KEYT reports. Thirty-three bodies have been recovered in the Conception tragedy ; there were 33 passengers and six crew members aboard, and other than the five crew members who made it off the boat, everyone is presumed dead. Rapid...
5 Members of Same Family
Among Dive Boat Fire Victims
Sep 4, 2019 3:42 AM CDT
5 Members of Same Family Among Dive Boat Fire Victims
Charter school students also presumed dead in Conception disaster
- Five members of a California family are among the 34 people dead or presumed dead in Monday's devastating fire on a diving boat off Santa Cruz Island. Susana Rosas says her three daughters—Evanmichel Solano Quitasol, Nicole Storm Quitasol, and Angela Rose Quitasol—were on the Conception, along with...
Couple: Crew Said Fire Made
Passengers' Rescue Impossible
Sep 3, 2019 3:08 PM CDT
Couple: Crew Said Fire Made Passengers' Rescue Impossible
And more on the devastating Labor Day blaze aboard the Conception dive boat
- The couple that rescued the five crew members who escaped the horrifying blaze aboard a California dive boat Monday say that the captain of the Conception was among the five, and he told them the rear escape hatch was engulfed in flames, making it impossible for the crew to get...
25 Confirmed Dead
in California Boat Fire
Sep 3, 2019 2:22 AM CDT
25 Confirmed Dead in California Boat Fire
Search for survivors will continue overnight
- At least 25 people have now been confirmed dead in a horrific fire on a diving boat off southern California early Monday. Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Matthew Kroll says the search will continue overnight for nine people still missing in one of the worst maritime disasters in the state's...
'I Can't Breathe'
Sep 2, 2019 2:15 PM CDT
Diving Boat Mayday Caller: 'I Can't Breathe'
34 are missing after the Conception catches fire, sinks
- The search continues—but four bodies have turned up since a commercial diving boat caught fire off the California coast Monday and sank with 34 people apparently on board, the AP reports. Passengers of the Conception were said to be trapped below deck as flames engulfed the 75-foot vessel. Ventura...
34 Feared Dead in
Boat Blaze Off Calif.
Sep 2, 2019 8:40 AM CDT
34 Feared Dead in Boat Blaze Off Calif.
Coast Guard has rescued only 5 after 75-foot boat catches fire off Santa Cruz Island
- The US Coast Guard responded early Monday to a boat fire off the coast of southern California, and Fox News reports that at least 34 people aboard are feared dead in the flames off Santa Cruz Island. "We did rescue five individuals who are being transported ashore now, one...
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Melania Trump's Hat 'Collateral Damage' of Crypto Crash
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.