Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
City Will Pay $12M
in 'Spit Hood' Death
Oct 6, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
City Will Pay $12M in 'Spit Hood' Death
Rochester settles with family of Daniel Prude
- The city of Rochester, NY, has reached a settlement with the family of a Black man who died after police put a "spit hood" over his head and pressed his face into the pavement until he stopped breathing. Rochester Mayor Malik Evans said the city will pay $12 million...
Grand Jury Verdict Is In
Feb 24, 2021 1:03 AM CST
Daniel Prude Grand Jury Verdict Is In
No charges against the officers involved in the Black man's death
- Police officers who put a hood over the head of a mentally distraught Black man, then pressed his body against the pavement until he stopped breathing will not face criminal charges after a grand jury declined to indict them, New York's attorney general announced Tuesday. Daniel Prude, 41, died...
Cop Who Shot Into Car,
Killing Black Teen, Fired
Oct 26, 2020 12:48 AM CDT
Cop Who Shot Into Car, Killing Black Teen, Fired
Marcellis Stinnette case is being investigated by Illinois State Police
- The Illinois police officer who fatally shot Black teen Marcellis Stinnette last week has been fired. The unidentified Hispanic officer, who has been with the force for five years, was terminated Friday "for multiple policy and procedure violations," the Waukegan Police Department says, per
. No new...
Cops, Officials Worked Hard to
Keep Prude's Death Hush-Hush
Sep 16, 2020 6:27 AM CDT
Cops, Officials Worked Hard to Keep Prude's Death Hush-Hush
Documents show the lengths they went to over a period of months
The Rochester Police Department and other officials in the upstate New York city attempted to keep the death of Daniel Prude quiet, according to documents released by the city Monday. Per the
New York Times
, the documents show how information was withheld for months after
Rochester's Top Cops
Retire En Masse
Sep 8, 2020 5:07 PM CDT
Rochester's Top Cops Retire En Masse
Mayor says entire command staff is leaving
- Top police leaders in Rochester, New York, announced their retirements Tuesday amid nightly protests over the city's handling of the suffocation death of Daniel Prude , with the outgoing chief accusing critics of trying to "destroy my character and integrity." Police Chief La’Ron Singletary and Deputy Chief...
Protesters in Only 'Spit Hoods'
Decry Death of Daniel Prude
Sep 8, 2020 2:47 AM CDT
Protesters in Only 'Spit Hoods' Decry Death of Daniel Prude
Demonstrations continue for 6th straight evening in Rochester
- Naked except for “spit hoods” in a reference to the killing of Daniel Prude, several protesters sat outside Rochester's police headquarters Monday morning to push for police accountability, local news outlets reported. Photos and video showed roughly a half-dozen demonstrators, naked or in minimal clothes and some with...
Sep 6, 2020 4:10 PM CDT
One City Promises Police Reforms
Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren speaks to the press
- After four nights of protest, Rochester is making a change. Mayor Lovely Warren said at a Sunday press conference that the crisis intervention department will be relocating to the city's department of youth and recreation services along with its budget, NBC News reports. "We had a human being...
Jacob Blake: 'You Can Change
Your Lives Out There'
Sep 6, 2020 7:05 AM CDT
Jacob Blake: 'You Can Change Your Lives Out There'
Kenosha man releases first words from hospital bed as protests rage on elsewhere
- Jacob Blake released a message from his hospital bed in which he beseeched viewers to take to heart that "Your life and not only just your life, your legs—something that you need to move around, to move forward in life—can be taken like this, man," said...
New York's AG Takes
Big Step in Death of Prude
Sep 5, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
New York's AG Takes Big Step in Death of Prude
Letitia James says a grand jury is coming
- New York's attorney general on Saturday moved to form a grand jury to investigate the death of Daniel Prude , a Black man who died after being hooded and held down by Rochester police earlier this year, the AP reports. "The Prude family and the Rochester community have been...
Daniel Prude Protesters:
Here's the Change We Want
Sep 5, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Daniel Prude Protesters: Here's the Change We Want
'People in crisis deserve help, not handcuffs'
- The death of Daniel Prude after a confrontation with police sparked a third night of demonstrations in New York's third-largest city, with protesters demanding more accountability for how it happened and legislation to change how authorities respond to mental health emergencies, the AP reports. Advocates for such legislation say...
Rochester Death Puts Focus
on Police 'Spit Hoods'
Sep 4, 2020 12:29 PM CDT
Rochester Death Puts Focus on Police 'Spit Hoods'
Officers say they're vital for protection, but critics say they're too dangerous
- Not five minutes after police slipped a “spit hood” over Daniel Prude's head, the 41-year-old Black man went limp. A week later, he was taken off life support. Prude's suffocation in Rochester, New York , in March has drawn new attention to the hoods—mesh bags that have...
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Strange Case of Mom Accused in Husband's Death Gets Stranger
On Tuesday, an 'Absolutely Unprecedented' Move by Biden
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
3 Boys 'Paid the Ultimate Price' for Mom's Addiction
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.