New features on our site
Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Cops, Officials Worked Hard to Keep Prude's Death Hush-Hush
Documents show the lengths they went to over a period of months
The Rochester Police Department and other officials in the upstate New York city attempted to keep the death of Daniel Prude quiet, according to documents released by the city Monday. Per the
New York Times
, the documents show how information was withheld for months after
Rochester's Top Cops Retire En Masse
Mayor says entire command staff is leaving
- Top police leaders in Rochester, New York, announced their retirements Tuesday amid nightly protests over the city's handling of the suffocation death of Daniel Prude , with the outgoing chief accusing critics of trying to "destroy my character and integrity." Police Chief La’Ron Singletary and Deputy Chief...
Protesters in Only 'Spit Hoods' Decry Death of Daniel Prude
Demonstrations continue for 6th straight evening in Rochester
- Naked except for “spit hoods” in a reference to the killing of Daniel Prude, several protesters sat outside Rochester's police headquarters Monday morning to push for police accountability, local news outlets reported. Photos and video showed roughly a half-dozen demonstrators, naked or in minimal clothes and some with...
One City Promises Police Reforms
Rochester Mayor Lovely Warren speaks to the press
- After four nights of protest, Rochester is making a change. Mayor Lovely Warren said at a Sunday press conference that the crisis intervention department will be relocating to the city's department of youth and recreation services along with its budget, NBC News reports. "We had a human being...
Jacob Blake: 'You Can Change Your Lives Out There'
Kenosha man releases first words from hospital bed as protests rage on elsewhere
- Jacob Blake released a message from his hospital bed in which he beseeched viewers to take to heart that "Your life and not only just your life, your legs—something that you need to move around, to move forward in life—can be taken like this, man," said...
New York's AG Takes Big Step in Death of Prude
Letitia James says a grand jury is coming
- New York's attorney general on Saturday moved to form a grand jury to investigate the death of Daniel Prude , a Black man who died after being hooded and held down by Rochester police earlier this year, the AP reports. "The Prude family and the Rochester community have been...
Daniel Prude Protesters: Here's the Change We Want
'People in crisis deserve help, not handcuffs'
- The death of Daniel Prude after a confrontation with police sparked a third night of demonstrations in New York's third-largest city, with protesters demanding more accountability for how it happened and legislation to change how authorities respond to mental health emergencies, the AP reports. Advocates for such legislation say...
Rochester Death Puts Focus on Police 'Spit Hoods'
Officers say they're vital for protection, but critics say they're too dangerous
- Not five minutes after police slipped a “spit hood” over Daniel Prude's head, the 41-year-old Black man went limp. A week later, he was taken off life support. Prude's suffocation in Rochester, New York , in March has drawn new attention to the hoods—mesh bags that have...
Popular on Newser
In Move 'So Rare,' Marriage Annulled Due to Lack of Sex
Trump's Looming Debt Called a 'Time Bomb'
Trump's Tax Returns Are Out —With All the Sobering Details
CDC Chief Makes Call on Plane, Reporter Overhears It
For Life Insurers, a Surprise Development in Age of COVID
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.