Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
1619 Creator Says Goodbye
to UNC, Hello to Howard
Jul 6, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
1619 Creator Says Goodbye to UNC, Hello to Howard
After tenure controversy is settled, Nikole Hannah-Jones to head to HBCU in DC instead
- After much controversy, Nikole Hannah-Jones finally got tenure from the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, but her words upon hearing that news didn't sound especially promising: She noted she needed some time to "determine what is the best way forward." This week, that way forward was made...
1619 Project Creator
Gets Tenure After All
Jul 1, 2021 7:33 AM CDT
1619 Project Creator Gets Tenure After All
Nikole Hannah-Jones still deciding 'the best way forward'
- She got tenure in the end. A day before Nikole Hannah-Jones' teaching job at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill was set to begin, the board of trustees voted 9-4 to grant tenure to the award-winning journalist and creator of the 1619 Project, appointed as the Knight Chair in Race...
1619 Project Creator Makes
Decision on Teaching Job
Jun 23, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
1619 Project Creator Makes Decision on Teaching Job
Nikole Hannah-Jones cites 'political interference,' won't teach at UNC-Chapel Hill without tenure
- Nikole Hannah-Jones is to teach two courses at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill's journalism school this fall. But she won't be in class unless she gets tenure, according to a letter submitted by the 1619 Project creator's legal team. Others appointed to the Knight Chair in...
Critics of 1619 Project Creator:
Move Against Her Is a 'Travesty'
May 26, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Critics of 1619 Project Creator: Move Against Her Is a 'Travesty'
Professors say board's denial of tenure threatens academic freedom
- Princeton historian Sean Wilentz and politics professor Keith E. Whittington have both been critical of Nikole Hannah-Jones' 1619 Project . Wilentz even penned an article describing the project's "inaccuracies," including the creator's claim that the American Revolution was fought to protect slavery. But if you thought they'...
'A Chilling Effect': 1619 Project
Creator Denied Tenure at UNC
May 20, 2021 8:24 AM CDT
'A Chilling Effect': 1619 Project Creator Denied Tenure at UNC
Insiders say politics was behind unusual decision on Nikole Hannah-Jones
- In what academics say is a highly unusual and "disappointing" move,
New York Times
journalist Nikole Hannah-Jones, creator of the 1619 Project, will not be offered a tenured position at her alma mater, the University of North Carolina. She will instead be offered a five-year contract at the UNC-Chapel...
Popular on Newser
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
Police Link 2 More Shootings to Possible California Serial Killer
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.