Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Notice to Miami Beach Condo
Residents: Get Out Now
Oct 28, 2022 1:38 PM CDT
Notice to Miami Beach Condo Residents: Get Out Now
14-story complex deemed unsafe, evacuated is down the street from Surfside condo that collapsed
- Residents of a Miami Beach, Fla., building on the same street where a condominium collapse killed nearly 100 people last year were forced to evacuate on Thursday evening after officials determined the structure was unsafe and gave orders to leave. Miami Beach spokesperson Melissa Berthier said around 4pm Thursday that...
'Miracle Boy' in Florida Condo
Collapse Tells His Story
Jul 4, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
'Miracle Boy' in Florida Condo Collapse Tells His Story
Jonah Handler was integral to the negotiation of a $1.02B settlement
- After they heard the boom at 1:15am on June 24, 2021, Jonah Handler and his mother, Stacie Dawn Fang, went out on their balcony to see if they could figure out where the noise had come from. They returned inside and sat on Jonah's bed in the ensuing...
Lawsuit: Work Next Door
Caused Florida Condo to Fall
Nov 17, 2021 5:16 PM CST
Lawsuit: Work Next Door Caused Florida Condo to Fall
Defendant says the problems were all at Champlain Towers South
- Construction of a luxury building next door triggered the collapse of a fragile Florida condominium that killed 98 people, a new lawsuit argues. The suit, filed on behalf of Champlain Towers South victims and family members, contends that work on the adjacent Eighty Seven Park tower damaged and destabilized a...
After Surfside Condo Collapse,
an 'Abhorrent' Alleged Crime
Sep 9, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
After Surfside Condo Collapse, an 'Abhorrent' Alleged Crime
3 are charged with stealing the identities of 7 victims following shopping sprees
- Two women and a man allegedly stole the identities of seven victims of the condominium collapse in Surfside, Fla. , in the days after the tragedy and spent thousands of dollars on shoes and a Versace purse. Miami-Dade State Attorney Katherine Fernandez Rundle described the suspects—Betsy Alexandra Cacho-Medina, 30; her...
Video Shows 'Astronomical'
Corrosion in Collapsed Condo
Aug 26, 2021 3:37 PM CDT
Video Shows 'Astronomical' Corrosion in Collapsed Condo
New investigation begins at Surfside site
- Video released by federal investigators shows more evidence of extensive corrosion and overcrowded concrete reinforcement in a Miami-area condominium that collapsed in June, killing 98 people. The video from the National Institute of Standards and Technology shows densely packed steel reinforcement in various sections of the building, along with extensive...
Remains of Final Victim of
Condo Collapse Identified
Jul 26, 2021 4:18 PM CDT
Remains of Final Victim of Condo Collapse Identified
Estelle Hedaya is disaster's 98th victim
- Two days after firefighters' search for bodies at the site of the Surfside condo collapse officially ended , the remains of the disaster's final victim have been identified. Ikey Hedaya tells CBS Miami he was notified by police Monday that the remains of his older sister, 54-year-old Estelle Hedaya, had...
Jul 23, 2021 4:15 PM CDT
Ceremony Ends Firefighters' Search
Crews rejoin their families after camping at the site of the collapsed condo building
- Firefighters on Friday declared the end of their search for bodies at the site of a collapsed Florida condo building, concluding a month of painstaking work removing layers of dangerous debris that were once piled several stories high. The June 24 collapse at the oceanside Champlain Towers South in Surfside...
Judge: Condo Collapse
Survivors Won't Be Asked
to Donate Property
Jul 22, 2021 9:08 AM CDT
Judge: Condo Collapse Survivors Won't Be Asked to Donate Property
Surviving owners are split on future of Surfside site
- There have been calls to turn the site of one of the deadliest building collapses in US history into a memorial, but the judge overseeing lawsuits in the Surfside condo collapse says survivors and the families of victims will not be asked to donate their property. "These victims who...
Concrete Concerns Lead to
Miami Building's Evacuation
Jul 14, 2021 2:13 PM CDT
Concrete Concerns Lead to Miami Building's Evacuation
Deterioration sparked worry three weeks after nearby condo building's collapse
- Residents of an 82-year-old, two-story apartment building in Miami Beach have been ordered to evacuate because of concrete deterioration nearly three weeks after the deadly collapse of Champlain Towers South in nearby Surfside. The city of Miami Beach ordered the evacuation of Devon Apartments on Monday and is giving residents...
Binx the Cat
Found 16 Days
Jul 10, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
Binx the Cat Found 16 Days After Surfside Condo Collapse
'A small piece of good news': Kitty has been reunited with family
- In what WSVN calls a "miracle" for one of the families affected by the tragedy in Surfside, Fla., a cat that lived in Champlain Towers South has been found alive, more than two weeks after the condo collapsed. "After 16 long and extremely difficult days, I'm happy...
Condo Searchers Carry On
Through Rain, Wind
Jul 6, 2021 12:02 PM CDT
Condo Searchers Carry On Through Rain, Wind
4 more bodies found, bringing total to 32
- The discovery of four more victims in the rubble of a collapsed Florida condominium building raised the death toll to 32, officials said Tuesday as a ramped-up search effort faced new threats from severe weather with Tropical Storm Elsa. Lightning forced rescuers to pause their work for two hours early...
Puts Spotlight on
SF's Leaning Tower
Jul 6, 2021 8:41 AM CDT
Condo Collapse Puts Spotlight on SF's Leaning Tower
Engineer says building is safe amid repairs
- The deadly collapse of the condo building in Surfside, Fla., has some fearing a similar disaster in San Francisco, where the tilting 58-story Millennium Tower is still without a fix. The city's tallest residential building has sunk 18 inches and leaned several inches, prompting cracks in the foundation and...
Teen Rescued From Rubble
Sorry for Missing Practice
Jul 5, 2021 1:10 PM CDT
Teen Rescued From Rubble Sorry for Missing Practice
After miraculous recovery, her first thought was of volleyball
- When 16-year-old rising volleyball star Deven Gonzalez was pulled from the rubble of her Miami condo building, her initial reaction amid the shock was to tell firefighters that she had to compete in a major tournament in a few days. The teen's world revolved around volleyball. She played beach...
Jul 5, 2021 6:35 AM CDT
Video Shows Demolition of Surfside Tower
The rest of the Florida condo building that collapsed is brought down
- As Tropical Storm Elsa moves toward Cuba and, soon after that, Florida, what remained of the Champlain Towers South in Surfside was demolished late Sunday. Officials had worried the rest of the building, which partially collapsed June 24, could be brought down by the storm in the wrong direction , on...
New Wrench at Condo
Scene: a COVID Outbreak
Jul 3, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
New Wrench at Condo Scene: a COVID Outbreak
At least 6 firefighters helping search and rescue efforts at Surfside collapse site have tested positive
- As people get ready to celebrate the holiday weekend with barbecues and other get-togethers, a COVID outbreak at the site of the South Florida condo collapse reminds us that the pandemic isn't over just yet. Six firefighters helping out at the scene in Surfside have tested positive, Miami-Dade Fire...
Condo Inspector Under
Microscope for What
He Knew, and When
Jul 2, 2021 11:49 AM CDT
Condo Inspector Under Microscope for What He Knew, and When
Surfside's ex-head building inspector told residents in 2018 the condo seemed to be 'in very good shape'
- The difficult work continues for search and rescue teams sifting through the rubble where a Florida condominium complex collapsed last week, which has left at least 20 dead and 128 missing as of Friday morning, per the AP . Now, records show that the former chief building inspector in the city...
Most Condo Board Members
Quit After 2019 Repairs Dispute
Jul 1, 2021 7:51 AM CDT
Most Condo Board Members Quit After 2019 Repairs Dispute
Plus, a chilling video, taken moments before Surfside building's collapse
- As the search for survivors continues in Surfside, Fla., now with the help of robots , records show that five out of the seven members of the Champlain Towers South condo's board quit in the fall of 2019 after infighting over a report indicating structural damage. After that 2018 report...
Popular on Newser
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.