Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
texas abortion law
Pregnant Driver Gets 2nd Ticket
for Driving in HOV Lane
Sep 1, 2022 10:11 AM CDT
Pregnant Driver Gets 2nd Ticket for Driving in HOV Lane
'You again?' deputy said to Brandy Bottone, who claims Texas abortion law supports her case
A traffic citation for a pregnant Texas woman who drove in the HOV lane, claiming her unborn baby counted as a passenger, has been dismissed. But Brandy Bottone decided to tempt fate, and Texas cops, once again: The
Dallas Morning News
reports the 32-year-old Plano woman was ticketed a...
Fight Is Over
Mar 11, 2022 2:22 PM CST
Texas Clinics: Abortion Law Fight Is Over
State Supreme Court rules against lawsuit
- Texas abortion providers on Friday conceded a final blow to their best hope of stopping the nation's most restrictive abortion law after a new ruling ended what little path to legal relief the US Supreme Court had left for clinics. The decision by the Texas Supreme Court, which is...
How Women Are Getting
Around Texas' Abortion Law
Mar 7, 2022 3:19 PM CST
How Women Are Getting Around Texas' Abortion Law
They're traveling out of state, ordering abortion pills from overseas
- Abortions among Texas women have fallen by only 10% since September, when Texas' strict abortion law went into effect, as women look outside the Lone Star State for help, the
New York Times
reports. That's according to two new studies, which show women traveled out of state for abortion...
Texas Inspires Gun Legislation
Feb 18, 2022 4:06 PM CST
Texas Inspires Gun Legislation
California measure would involve citizens in enforcing assault weapons ban
- A new bill in California would allow private citizens go after gun-makers in the same way Texas lets them target abortion providers, though gun advocates immediately promised a court challenge if it becomes law. Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom on Friday backed legislation that would let private citizens enforce the state'...
Texas Reports 60% Plunge
in Abortions Under New Law
Feb 10, 2022 4:12 PM CST
Texas Reports 60% Plunge in Abortions Under New Law
Data for the first month also show no one filed a suit to collect $10K state offers
- Abortions in Texas fell by 60% in the first month under the most restrictive abortion law in the US in decades, according to new figures that for the first time reveal a full accounting of the immediate impact. The nearly 2,200 abortions reported by Texas providers in September came...
Restricting Abortion Pills
Dec 3, 2021 1:55 PM CST
Texas Begins Restricting Abortion Pills
Abortion providers blocked from supplying pills to women after 7 weeks of pregnancy
- Texas is again limiting abortion access with a new law restricting access to abortion pills—"the most common abortion method in Texas," per the
. SB4, which took effect Thursday after passing the state Senate in September, prohibits abortion providers from supplying abortion-inducing medication to a patient...
2 SCOTUS Justices
Open to Challenge
to Abortion Law
Nov 1, 2021 3:48 PM CDT
2 SCOTUS Justices Open to Challenge to Abortion Law
Brett Kavanaugh appears concerned about loophole
- It looks like the Supreme Court will hear a challenge to the Texas’s restrictive new abortion law . The court’s three more liberal justices, Elena Kagan, Stephen Breyer, and Sonia Sotomayor, have already called the law unconstitutional, the
reports. It went into effect after a 5-4 Supreme...
Feds Ask SCOTUS
to Block Texas Abortion Ban
Oct 18, 2021 1:15 PM CDT
Feds Ask SCOTUS to Block Texas Abortion Ban
Justice Department describes new law as 'clearly unconstitutional'
: The Justice Department has formally asked the Supreme Court to block a Texas law that bans almost all abortions after six weeks of pregnancy. The department, which described the law as "clearly unconstitutional," asked for the law to be blocked while legal challenges play out, CNN reports....
Appeals Court Sides With
Texas on Abortion Yet Again
Oct 15, 2021 12:30 AM CDT
Appeals Court Sides With Texas on Abortion Yet Again
Ruling pushes the Texas law closer to returning to the Supreme Court
- Texas can continue banning most abortions after a federal appeals court on Thursday rejected the Biden administration’s latest attempt to undo a novel law that has become the nation’s biggest curb to abortion in nearly 50 years. It pushes the Texas law closer to returning to the Supreme...
Clinics Turn Patients Away
After Brief Gap on Abortion Ban
Oct 9, 2021 4:15 PM CDT
Clinics Turn Patients Away After Brief Gap on Abortion Ban
Biden administration hasn't said anything about a next step
- Texas clinics on Saturday canceled appointments booked during a 48-hour reprieve from the most restrictive abortion law in the US, which was back in effect as weary providers again focus their hopes on the Supreme Court. The Biden administration, which sued Texas over the law, has yet to say whether...
On Texas Abortion Ban,
a New 'Terse Ruling'
Oct 9, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
On Texas Abortion Ban, a New 'Terse Ruling'
Federal appeals court panel has temporarily reinstated 'heartbeat' ban
Just two days after Texas' restrictive ban on abortion was suspended, a three-judge appeals court panel has put that ban back in place, at least for now. The
New York Times
reports the "terse ruling" on the ban, which bars the procedure after about six weeks of pregnancy,...
Takes Issue With
the 'Sinister' Term
Oct 1, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Justice Alito Takes Issue With the 'Sinister' Term 'Shadow Docket'
Justice blasts 'shadow docket' criticism in speech at Notre Dame
- Justice Samuel Alito on Thursday lashed out at the suggestion that there's "something sneaky and dangerous" about the Supreme Court's emergency docket, through which it allowed Texas' restrictive abortion law to take effect . In a speech at the University of Notre Dame days before the start of...
Doctor Says It Was His 'Duty'
to Defy Texas Abortion Law
Sep 19, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Doctor Says It Was His 'Duty' to Defy Texas Abortion Law
Provided abortion after 6-week mark
- A Texas doctor has penned a
op-ed in which he says he defied Texas's highly restrictive abortion law. In fact, the admission is right there in the title of Dr. Alan Braid's “Why I violated Texas’s extreme abortion ban.” "I acted because...
Game Studio CEO
Steps Down After
Praising Texas Law
Sep 7, 2021 2:22 PM CDT
Game Studio CEO Steps Down After Praising Texas Law
Tripwire Interactive faced huge backlash after tweet from John Gibson
- Gaming studio Tripwire Interactive announced Monday night that John Gibson had stepped down as CEO—two days after he expressed support for the new Texas abortion law. Gibson and Tripwire faced a major backlash after Gibson tweeted that he was "proud" of the Supreme Court for affirming the law,...
One City May Punish Texas
For Abortion Rule
Sep 5, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
One City May Punish Texas For Abortion Rule
Portland, Oregon city council will vote on ending trade and travel with the state
- While the full impact of the SCOTUS ruling that protects a Texas law banning most abortions remains unclear, one large US city wants to cut ties with the state. Per Oregon Public Broadcasting , the City of Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler said Friday that Portland City Council will vote this week...
Web Host Terminates Site
for Reporting Abortions
Sep 4, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Web Host Terminates Site for Reporting Abortions
GoDaddy says Texas Right to Life violated privacy rules
- People incensed by a Texas Right to Life website for anonymously reporting women who had sought abortions asked to speak to the manager, and it worked. While TikTok users and Redditors flooded the site with fake tips, other people went straight to the top. The site’s host, GoDaddy, has...
Ruling Shields Texas Clinics
From Abortion Suits, for Now
Sep 4, 2021 5:45 AM CDT
Ruling Shields Texas Clinics From Abortion Suits, for Now
Judge handed down temporary restraining order Friday
- A state judge has shielded, for now, Texas abortion clinics from lawsuits by an anti-abortion group under a new state abortion law in a narrow ruling handed down Friday. Per the AP , the temporary restraining order Friday by state District Judge Maya Guerra Gamble in Austin in response to the...
Popular on Newser
Ukrainians Flee Recaptured City
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Florida Beaches Run Short of Sand
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.