Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Ford Ad Doesn't Mention
Musk, but It Doesn't Have To
May 5, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
New Ford Ad Doesn't Mention Musk, but It Doesn't Have To
Spot mocks loudmouths who want to 'fly away on their personal spaceships'
- Ford is out with a new TV spot that
says "appears to be a subtle shot" at Elon Musk in the auto wars. That might be understating things. While the ad does not mention Musk by name, the implication is clear and full of snark. “Right...
Critics Call New
Samsung Ad 'Tone Deaf'
Apr 28, 2022 5:18 PM CDT
Critics Call New Samsung Ad 'Tone Deaf'
Company apologizes over campaign that features a woman jogging alone at night
- A new Samsung ad is under fire as "tone deaf" in regard to women's safety, and the company has apologized to its critics, reports the BBC . The spot called "Night Owls" features a woman going for a run in the middle of the night alone, the point...
Move Netflix Has Long Resisted
Will Likely Come to Pass
Apr 20, 2022 1:33 PM CDT
Move Netflix Has Long Resisted Will Likely Come to Pass
Lower-priced subscription models with ads could be offered 'in a year or two,' CEO says
- Netflix is planning to make some changes after a drop in subscribers —and one of them is a move the company has long resisted. Founder and co-CEO Reed Hastings said Tuesday that the company is looking at bringing in advertising to support lower-priced subscription models, Deadline reports. "Those...
Padres Are First MLB Team
to Reach a Uniform Ad Deal
Apr 19, 2022 2:09 PM CDT
Padres Are First MLB Team to Reach a Uniform Ad Deal
They'll be wearing Motorola patches next season
- There will be a new pitch on Major League Baseball fields next season. The San Diego Padres became the first team to announce a deal for ads on their uniforms, saying Tuesday that patches with a Motorola logo will be worn on the right sleeves of their jerseys. The March...
In France, Car Ads Will
Soon Promote ... Walking
Jan 5, 2022 4:20 PM CST
In France, Car Ads Will Soon Promote ... Walking
And bicycles, under new regulation that goes into effect in March
- Beginning in March, car ads in France will increasingly promote ... bicycles. And walking, public transportation, or reducing the number of cars on the road by carpooling. That's due to a new regulation that kicks in that month that requires automakers including messaging in their ads that encourages people to...
S. Korea Dairy Company Sorry
for Turning Women Into Cows
Dec 15, 2021 11:47 AM CST
S. Korea Dairy Company Sorry for Turning Women Into Cows
The advertisement for Seoul Milk wasn't well received
- "We are taking this matter seriously, and we will pay more attention and review to prevent similar problems in the future." It's a fairly standard corporate apology. What prompted South Korea's largest dairy company to issue it is a little less typical: an advertisement that critics...
Macy's Sues to Keep Amazon
Off Giant NYC Billboard
Sep 30, 2021 4:11 AM CDT
Macy's Sues to Keep Amazon Off Giant NYC Billboard
Retailer wants to block competitor from taking over space next to flagship store
- Macy's has filed a lawsuit against the company that owns the giant billboard next to its flagship Manhattan store, fighting to prevent Amazon from taking over the advertising space that carried Macy's name for almost 60 years. In the lawsuit, filed last week in state Supreme Court in...
Lindell's Latest Dispute Is With
Network That Helped Make Him
Jul 30, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Lindell's Latest Dispute Is With Network That Helped Make Him
MyPillow CEO says he's pulling ads from Fox after he claims it wouldn't air commercial
- Mike Lindell says he has proof the presidency was stolen from Donald Trump in 2020, and next month he's set to livestream a cyber symposium that will allegedly present said proof. It's his commercial promoting the event, however, that's at the center of a dispute with Fox...
Walmart Has Its
Work Cut Out for It
May 16, 2021 6:15 AM CDT
Leaked Memo: Walmart Has Its Work Cut Out for It
Instacart is gaining on groceries, document says, and then there's Amazon
- A 100-page document written by Walmart for advertising agencies starkly portrays the problems the company has to solve to remain the world's largest retailer. At the top of the list is the success of its competitors in the grocery sector, reports Recode , which managed to view the February document....
Gum Ad Perfectly
May 5, 2021 12:53 PM CDT
Gum Ad Perfectly Encapsulates Your COVID Fatigue
Extra envisions epic post-pandemic makeout party
- There will be a lot of tonsil hockey in our post-pandemic future, according to an awesome new ad from Extra gum. Set to the tune of Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back to Me Now," the ad, from Chicago agency Energy BBDO, begins with an announcement...
Suit Company's New Ads
Have People Buzzing
Mar 5, 2021 6:26 AM CST
Suit Company's New Ads Have People Buzzing
Suitsupply's 'New Normal' ad campaign forecasts a post-pandemic orgy
- The first thing you're going to do once you get the all-clear from Dr. Fauci is yank off your face mask, climb onto a bunch of sweaty strangers, and start offering them slobbering, open-mouthed kisses, right? That's what the post-pandemic future holds in "The New Normal,"...
A Doritos Ad
Is Going Viral
in case you missed it
Jan 16, 2021 7:00 AM CST
A Doritos Ad Is Going Viral
Tells the story of a Mexican father accepting his gay son
- Doritos has an advertising hit on its hands, along with widespread praise for a spot that aired in Mexico over the holidays. The original ad , in Spanish, now has more than 14 million views on YouTube. This version has English subtitles. As NBC News explains, it tells the story of...
You Won't Be Seeing This Kind
of Ad on Facebook Anymore
Oct 14, 2020 7:55 AM CDT
You Won't Be Seeing This Kind of Ad on Facebook Anymore
Social media giant bans anti-vaccination ads
- First Facebook banned political ads after the polls close on Nov. 3. Now the social media giant is targeting an entirely different set of promotions: anti-vaccination ads, which will no longer be allowed on the platform, the
reports. "We don't want these ads on our platform,"...
This 9/11 Ad Aired Only Once
Sep 11, 2020 10:58 AM CDT
This 9/11 Ad Aired Only Once
Moving Budweiser commercial was broadcast during the 2002 Super Bowl and never since
- Some brands should completely stay away from trying to commemorate 9/11, but others have figured out how to appropriately, and movingly, mark that indelible moment. In Budweiser's case, it came up with what's been called "the best 9/11 commercial ever," and it's only officially aired...
for 'Insensitive' Ad
Aug 4, 2020 5:31 PM CDT
Audi Apologizes for 'Insensitive' Ad
It showed young girl leaning on grille of high-performance car
- Audi has apologized for a T witter ad that has been denounced as unsafe, weird, and possibly suggestive. The ad for the high-performance RS4, which, for now, can still be seen here , features a young girl leaning on the front of the vehicle and eating a banana, BBC reports. Critics...
Uncle Ben's Says
Brand Is Going to 'Evolve'
Jun 17, 2020 1:46 PM CDT
Uncle Ben's Says Brand Is Going to 'Evolve'
Company says it was planning change even before Aunt Jemima news
- Uncle Ben might soon be joining Aunt Jemima in retirement. Brand owner Mars says it is planning to change the rice's "brand identity," which has long featured a photo of an African American man. The name, which dates to 1946, comes from a black Texan rice grower,...
Obama, Biden Have Same
Word for GOP Super PAC Ad
Feb 27, 2020 7:03 AM CST
Obama, Biden Have Same Word for GOP Super PAC Ad
- Barack Obama has remained relatively quiet on the political scene in the years since he left the Oval Office—but he's voicing his displeasure with an ad attacking his former VP. CNN reports that the law office representing Obama sent a cease-and-desist letter Wednesday to a GOP super PAC...
Most Talked About
Super Bowl Ads
Feb 3, 2020 6:23 AM CST
This Year's Most Talked About Super Bowl Ads
Mr. Peanut is apparently alive
- This year's Super Bowl featured dueling ads from President Trump and Michael Bloomberg—but there was a lot more buzz around Mr. Peanut. In a commercial that features in numerous lists of both the best and worst ads from the big game, mourners, including fellow mascots Mr. Clean and...
Makes Big Move
on Social Media
Feb 3, 2020 6:12 AM CST
Stephen King Makes Big Move on Social Media
Author has quit Facebook over concerns on 'false information,' privacy
- Last month, Facebook decided it wasn't going to bar or fact-check political ads during this election season, nor keep those ads from being targeted to certain groups of people. Now, partly based on that, Stephen King has made his own decision: He has left the social media site for...
KFC Sorry for
Ad in Which Boys
Gawk at Cleavage
in case you missed it
Jan 25, 2020 3:14 PM CST
KFC Sorry for Ad in Which Boys Gawk at Cleavage
No word on whether 15-second ad will be pulled in Australia
- KFC has apologized over a "sexist" ad released in Australia, showing two young boys gaping at a woman in a low-cut top. The woman is seen adjusting her top while looking at her reflection in the tinted window of a parked car, which suddenly slides down to show the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Holy Cow. Plants Actually Grow in Lunar Stuff'
What We Know About the Buffalo Mass Shooting
This Nude Is Now Most Expensive Photo Ever
Thomas: Justices Don't Trust Each Other Anymore
Women Fell Hard for Him. Many Say It Cost Them
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.