Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Amazon Prime Caves,
Will Run Ads on Films, Shows
Sep 22, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Amazon Prime Caves, Will Run Ads on Films, Shows
Prime members who don't want such interruptions can fork over an extra $2.99 per month
- Amazon Prime Video will include advertising during shows and movies starting early next year, joining other streaming services that have added different tiers of subscriptions. Members of Amazon Prime can pay $2.99 per month in the US to keep their service ad-free, the company said Friday, per the AP...
Google Got $10M for
'Deceptive' Abortion Ads
Jun 15, 2023 8:19 AM CDT
Google Got $10M for 'Deceptive' Abortion Ads
Ads directed searchers to centers that 'shame those seeking abortions,' per report
- People who use Google to search for "abortion pill" and "abortion clinic near me" are instead shown advertisements for crisis pregnancy centers whose goal is to dissuade individuals from accessing abortion. Over two years, Google accepted $10.2 million from anti-abortion groups to post such advertisements alongside legitimate...
No One Seems
to Be Happy
Apr 18, 2023 8:44 AM CDT
No One Seems to Be Happy With Bud's New Ad
Beer giant's promo ticks off the right and the left after controversy around transgender influencer
- Conservatives are trashing Bud Light, literally and figuratively , as well as Anheuser-Busch's other offerings, in the wake of a partnership with transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney. Now, a new ad from the beverage giant appears to be trying to smooth over that backlash, though it doesn't appear to be...
Ads Enter Bing
to Much Confusion
Mar 30, 2023 8:51 AM CDT
Ads Enter Bing Chat Responses, to Much Confusion
Tech journalists question if chatbot is now giving sponsored answers
- Microsoft is slipping more ads into the AI-powered Bing chatbot , which could add to the "already difficult cognitive load of determining whether you can trust a given response," writes Jay Peters at the Verge . Ads have been appearing within the Bing interface since its launch in February. In...
Famous 'Crying Indian' Ad
Is Being Retired
Feb 25, 2023 9:30 PM CST
Famous 'Crying Indian' Ad Is Being Retired
Anti-pollution spot from 1970s has been acquired by Native American group
- Since its debut in 1971, an anti-pollution ad showing a man in Native American attire shed a single tear at the sight of smokestacks and litter taking over a once unblemished landscape has become an indelible piece of TV pop culture. It's been referenced over the decades since on...
McDonald’s 'McCrispy' Ad
Lands in Unfortunate Location
Feb 13, 2023 12:44 PM CST
McDonald’s 'McCrispy' Ad Lands in Unfortunate Location
Anywhere near a crematorium is probably not a brilliant idea, guys
- When placing advertisements near funeral homes, mortuaries, zombie meeting halls, or anything to do with the dead or undead, really, one might want to give the message that one is aware of those surroundings. That apparently failed to happen when McDonald's wanted to tout its new McCrispy chicken sandwich...
Options' for Musk
Jan 18, 2023 7:38 AM CST
As Advertisers Flee Twitter, 'Unpalatable Options' for Musk
Reports: 500 big advertisers have ditched since October, revenue is down 40% year over year
- In his own words, Elon Musk has been "cutting costs like crazy" since his takeover last year of Twitter, in an effort to fend off an expected negative cash flow for the company of about $3 billion in 2023. Now, multiple outlets are adding details on how dire the...
Quirky ESPN Ad
Campaign Is Back
Jan 3, 2023 12:20 PM CST
Quirky ESPN Ad Campaign Is Back
Syracuse's Otto the Orange joins US women's soccer stars for new 'This Is SportsCenter' ad
- ESPN's iconic advertising campaign is back, with the first installment of "This Is SportsCenter" in three years. The comical, off-kilter ads routinely feature athletes and mascots in promotion of ESPN's flagship sports news program. This one is no different. The 15-second " Orange Slices " shows US...
Balenciaga Faces Backlash
for 2 Eyebrow-Raising Ads
Nov 28, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Balenciaga Faces Backlash for 2 Eyebrow-Raising Ads
One featured kids with teddy bear bags draped in fetish gear, the other SCOTUS docs on child porn
- A fashion giant is under the microscope after two recent ad campaigns went awry, spurring a lawsuit and even dragging Kim Kardashian into the fray. The complaint filed Friday by Balenciaga in the New York State Supreme Court for the County of New York seeks $25 million in damages from...
Ad 'Will Leave
Into the Abyss'
Nov 10, 2022 8:00 PM CST
This Christmas Ad 'Will Leave You Staring Into the Abyss'
Mostly in a good way, though reaction is mixed to John Lewis & Partners' poignant holiday promo
- It's that time of year when Christmas ads start flooding the landscape, and some retailers are trying to take a "more muted approach" as people continue to struggle with inflation and the cost of necessities, reports the BBC . One promotion in particular, by the John Lewis & Partners...
Burger King's Whopper Ad
Causes a Stir
Jun 7, 2022 2:09 PM CDT
Burger King's Whopper Ad Causes a Stir
Each has two top buns or two bottom buns, to celebrate Pride Month
- Burger Kings in Austria are offering customers an unusual way to celebrate LGBTQ lifestyles during Pride Month. Restaurants there are offering whoppers with "equal buns," meaning each has two top buns or two bottom buns, reports CNN . The idea is "meant to put a smile on our...
Lawsuit to McDonald's: Where
Are the Burgers in Your Ads?
May 19, 2022 11:23 AM CDT
Lawsuit to McDonald's: Where Are the Burgers in Your Ads?
Chain, along with Wendy's, is accused of false advertising
- Earlier this year, three law firms accused Burger King of making its burgers look way better in advertisements than they are in reality. Now the trio is going after McDonald's and Wendy's with the same accusation, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The new lawsuit alleges that Wendy's...
New Ford Ad Doesn't Mention
Musk, but It Doesn't Have To
May 5, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
New Ford Ad Doesn't Mention Musk, but It Doesn't Have To
Spot mocks loudmouths who want to 'fly away on their personal spaceships'
- Ford is out with a new TV spot that
says "appears to be a subtle shot" at Elon Musk in the auto wars. That might be understating things. While the ad does not mention Musk by name, the implication is clear and full of snark. “Right...
Critics Call New
Samsung Ad 'Tone Deaf'
Apr 28, 2022 5:18 PM CDT
Critics Call New Samsung Ad 'Tone Deaf'
Company apologizes over campaign that features a woman jogging alone at night
- A new Samsung ad is under fire as "tone deaf" in regard to women's safety, and the company has apologized to its critics, reports the BBC . The spot called "Night Owls" features a woman going for a run in the middle of the night alone, the point...
Move Netflix Has Long Resisted
Will Likely Come to Pass
Apr 20, 2022 1:33 PM CDT
Move Netflix Has Long Resisted Will Likely Come to Pass
Lower-priced subscription models with ads could be offered 'in a year or two,' CEO says
- Netflix is planning to make some changes after a drop in subscribers —and one of them is a move the company has long resisted. Founder and co-CEO Reed Hastings said Tuesday that the company is looking at bringing in advertising to support lower-priced subscription models, Deadline reports. "Those...
Padres Are First MLB Team
to Reach a Uniform Ad Deal
Apr 19, 2022 2:09 PM CDT
Padres Are First MLB Team to Reach a Uniform Ad Deal
They'll be wearing Motorola patches next season
- There will be a new pitch on Major League Baseball fields next season. The San Diego Padres became the first team to announce a deal for ads on their uniforms, saying Tuesday that patches with a Motorola logo will be worn on the right sleeves of their jerseys. The March...
In France, Car Ads Will
Soon Promote ... Walking
Jan 5, 2022 4:20 PM CST
In France, Car Ads Will Soon Promote ... Walking
And bicycles, under new regulation that goes into effect in March
- Beginning in March, car ads in France will increasingly promote ... bicycles. And walking, public transportation, or reducing the number of cars on the road by carpooling. That's due to a new regulation that kicks in that month that requires automakers including messaging in their ads that encourages people to...
S. Korea Dairy Company Sorry
for Turning Women Into Cows
Dec 15, 2021 11:47 AM CST
S. Korea Dairy Company Sorry for Turning Women Into Cows
The advertisement for Seoul Milk wasn't well received
- "We are taking this matter seriously, and we will pay more attention and review to prevent similar problems in the future." It's a fairly standard corporate apology. What prompted South Korea's largest dairy company to issue it is a little less typical: an advertisement that critics...
Macy's Sues to Keep Amazon
Off Giant NYC Billboard
Sep 30, 2021 4:11 AM CDT
Macy's Sues to Keep Amazon Off Giant NYC Billboard
Retailer wants to block competitor from taking over space next to flagship store
- Macy's has filed a lawsuit against the company that owns the giant billboard next to its flagship Manhattan store, fighting to prevent Amazon from taking over the advertising space that carried Macy's name for almost 60 years. In the lawsuit, filed last week in state Supreme Court in...
Lindell's Latest Dispute Is With
Network That Helped Make Him
Jul 30, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Lindell's Latest Dispute Is With Network That Helped Make Him
MyPillow CEO says he's pulling ads from Fox after he claims it wouldn't air commercial
- Mike Lindell says he has proof the presidency was stolen from Donald Trump in 2020, and next month he's set to livestream a cyber symposium that will allegedly present said proof. It's his commercial promoting the event, however, that's at the center of a dispute with Fox...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Winners, Losers From the GOP Debate
Florida Man Bitten 41 Times by Rabid Otter
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.