Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
47 Cats Found in Car
During Extreme Heat
Jun 20, 2022 1:35 PM CDT
47 Cats Found in Car During Extreme Heat
Owner had been living with them in vehicle for 'some time,' Animal Humane Society says
- This is National Adopt a Cat Month, and the Animal Humane Society in Minnesota has 47 new arrivals that will need new homes. The AHS says the felines were rescued from a vehicle during extreme heat last week, WCCO reports.The society says it was contacted by the Chisago County...
New Rules Could Take Bacon
Off the Table in California
Aug 1, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
New Rules Could Take Bacon Off the Table in California
Voters approved an animal welfare measure that pork producers aren't ready for
- Thanks to a reworked menu and long hours, Jeannie Kim managed to keep her San Francisco restaurant alive during the pandemic. That makes it all the more frustrating that she fears her breakfast-focused diner could be ruined within months by new rules that could make one of her top menu...
Woman Looking to Adopt
Pet Finds Her Own Lost Dog
Jul 11, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Woman Looking to Adopt Pet Finds Her Own Lost Dog
Aisha Nieves had given up hope of ever finding Kovu
- When Kovu disappeared, Aisha Nieves was heartbroken. Her dog had been her constant companion for years, and her best friend. Until one day she came home from work to find Kovu gone, having escaped from a hole in her fence caused by a car driving through it, CNN reports. She...
China Pulls a 180
on Its Dog Policy
May 30, 2020 4:45 PM CDT
China Pulls a 180 on Its Dog Policy
Beijing says it's following 'the progress of the times'
- Looks like China has a new official dog policy—namely that people can no longer raise and trade them for commercial purposes,
reports. "With the progress of the times, people's civilization ideas and eating habits are constantly changing, and some traditional customs about dogs will also change,...
Trophy Hunter Gets US Permit
to Import Body of Rare Rhino
Sep 7, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
Trophy Hunter Gets US Permit to Import Body of Rare Rhino
Michigan hunter gets dispensation in what Humane Society calls 'pay-to-slay scheme'
- The Trump administration says it will issue a permit to a Michigan trophy hunter to import the skin, skull, and horns from a rare black rhinoceros he shot in Africa. Documents show Chris D. Peyerk of Shelby Township, Mich., applied last year for the permit required by the Fish and...
Lab is Feeding Fungicides to
Beagles, Humane Society Says
Mar 13, 2019 3:15 PM CDT
Lab is Feeding Fungicides to Beagles, Humane Society Says
Petition calls for dogs' release from experiments
- Beagles are allegedly being force-fed fungicides in experiments at a Michigan laboratory with ties to Dow Chemical, and the Humane Society wants it to stop. An undercover investigation last year found that nearly two dozen experiments involved testing on dogs, and that some suffered for months before being killed when...
Sale of Giraffe Parts Is
a Booming US Business
Aug 23, 2018 12:28 PM CDT
Sale of Giraffe Parts Is a Booming US Business
Humane Society looks into the trade, which is fully legal
- It's been dubbed a " silent extinction ." The global giraffe population is estimated to have fallen by a third from 1985 to 2016, largely as a result of habitat loss and poaching. But Americans' desire for giraffe parts—skulls, hides, whole feet—isn’t helping, per a Humane...
Just Became a
Full-Time Job in DC
Jul 20, 2018 6:51 AM CDT
Counting Cats Just Became a Full-Time Job in DC
$1.5M project aims for better management of cat population
- A $1.5 million project launched in Washington, DC, has one main goal: count all the cats. DC Cat Count , a collaboration by the Humane Society, Humane Rescue Alliance, Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute, and PetSmart Charities, aims to create an accurate estimate of the entire cat population, including pet cats,...
Sex Harassment Allegations
Take Down This CEO
Feb 3, 2018 6:36 AM CST
Sex Harassment Allegations Take Down This CEO
Wayne Pacelle resigned post he has held since 2004 on Friday
- During a seven-hour conference call on Thursday, the Humane Society's 31-person board voted to keep CEO Wayne Pacelle despite the sexual harassment allegations against him, losing seven board members in the process. One day later, they lost Pacelle, too. The
New York Times
reports that as donors and employees...
After Vote on CEO,
7 Humane Society
Board Members Quit
Feb 2, 2018 2:20 AM CST
After Vote on CEO, 7 Humane Society Board Members Quit
Wayne Pacelle is accused of sexual misconduct
- After the 31-person board of the Humane Society of the United States met Thursday to address sexual harassment allegations against CEO Wayne Pacelle, Pacelle still had his job—but the board only had 24 members left. Seven board members, including author Suzy Welch, stepped down immediately after the board voted...
Jan 31, 2018 8:23 AM CST
Sex Misconduct Claims Hit Humane Society Higher-Ups
Including CEO Wayne Pacelle and ex-VP Paul Shapiro
- "You believe these guys are the heroes," a former Humane Society employee says, that "they're going to be compassionate because they're speaking up for animals and you trust them." That trust was allegedly broken by at least two high-level animal-rights activists, including CEO Wayne...
Serial Killer of Animals
on the Loose in Canada
Dec 23, 2016 12:01 PM CST
Serial Killer of Animals on the Loose in Canada
Culprit uses scalpel, leaves bodies in public places
- "It's impossible to forget what we've seen," says the director of a Humane Society in London, Ontario, where officials say a serial animal killer is on the loose. Over the past year, 17 dead animals have been found around the Canadian city. It started with skinned...
Kitten Suspected of
Flooding Animal Shelter
Jun 28, 2016 6:00 PM CDT
Sink-Loving Kitten Suspected of Flooding Animal Shelter
Florida Humane Society sustains at least $5,000 in damage
- A 6-month-old kitten is suspected of causing at least $5,000 in damage at a Florida animal shelter, the
reports. According to WPLG , staff at the Florida Humane Society in Pompano Beach discovered their facility was seriously flooded last Thursday morning. They initially thought a pipe had burst...
'Zombie Cat' May
Go Up for Adoption
Jan 31, 2015 1:16 PM CST
'Zombie Cat' May Go Up for Adoption
Humane Society says it won't give 'Bart' back to owner
- Bart the "zombie cat" might be getting a new home. The Humane Society of Tampa says it won't return the cat to its owner after learning new information about Bart's "home environment" and how he came to be buried. Among other things, it appears that the...
Buried Cat Returned
Jan 27, 2015 3:30 PM CST
Buried Cat Returned to Owner—Alive
Owner Ellis Hutson is utterly floored
- Florida resident Ellis Hutson grieved when a car ran over his cat. He was simply stunned when his cat, since buried, clawed its way out and refused to die, ABC News reports. "I was so shocked," says the 52-year-old landscaper. "I didn’t know really what to...
Foie Gras Back
on Calif. Menus
Jan 8, 2015 7:30 AM CST
Foodies Rejoice: Foie Gras Back on Calif. Menus
Judge overturns state law banning the delicacy
- California foodies craving fattened duck liver can now chow down. Yesterday, a judge overturned a state law banning the sale of foie gras, noting it interferes with a federal law regulating poultry products. The ban, in place since 2012 , had been hailed a victory for animal rights activists as ducks...
Feb 21, 2014 12:08 PM CST
'Piglet Smoothie' Keeps Hogs Virus-Free
Humane Society exposes icky practice at Kentucky farm
- This is about as unappetizing a meal as you could get. The Humane Society has exposed a method of dealing with the fast-spreading porcine epidemic diarrhea virus (PEDV) that's killed more than 2 million piglets since April: Grind up the intestines of piglets that succumbed to it, and feed...
Running of the Bulls
Coming to US
Aug 3, 2013 3:10 PM CDT
Running of the Bulls Coming to US
Organizers say it will be safer, but the Humane Society is not happy
- Americans will no longer have to travel to Spain to get trampled on by hordes of running bulls. The Great Bull Run, a new US-based event, will allow thrillseekers to experience Pamplona's favorite pastime stateside, reports the AP . The first run will be held near Richmond, Virginia, on August...
Mar 21, 2013 9:09 AM CDT
Idaho Mystery: Dogs Are Vanishing
Almost 40 missing since November, with one possibly used in ritual killing
- It's not safe to be man's best friend right now in southern Idaho. Nearly 40 dogs have disappeared since November, KPVI reports, and authorities fear they're meeting grisly fates. "The dogs seem to vanish into thin air," animal shelter director Debbie Blackwood tells Reuters . The...
Oct 18, 2012 12:01 AM CDT
4 Wolves Killed First Wisconsin Hunting Day
State aiming for 116, animal lovers headed for court
- At least two male and two female adult wolves were shot dead in the first 24 hours of Wisconsin's first wolf hunt in decades. The controversial hunt is scheduled to run through February, but the state might end it sooner if hunters hit the limit of 116 wolves. Some...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Marjorie Taylor Greene's 27-Year Marriage Is Ending
Queen's 2-Word Cause of Death Is Released
Ian Leaves Trail of Devastation
MacKenzie Scott Quietly Files for Divorce
Police Not Sure if Slain Daughter Was Abducted First
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.